Jump to content
JOD-I

pitfall! on finalgrom99

Recommended Posts

I have the finalgrom99 cartridge.  using the .bin file for pitfall! rev b I can get the game to load to the title screen but no matter what I do the game will not go farther than the title screen.  The instructions mention homebrew cartridge boards(pcb revision c).  So my question is this: is there no way the game will run on the finalgrom99?  I do have the 32k expansion.  I have moved both controllers left to right like the instructions say to start game so thats not it either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth- it isn't just you!

I have exactly the same problem here, I reported it on this forum and received no useful response.  I did ask if anyone had the game running on an fg99- silence.

I guess  possibly  the four chips are concatenated into the bin in an order that fg99 doesn't like.  If that is the case it should be possible to arrange them in an order that fg99 is compatible with, but so far no volunteers have stepped forward.

That's two of us cannot play it....    best wishes  s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitfall! loads and runs on my console and FG99 just "fine". Put quotes around fine as the game does load and play alright, but during the title screen, parts of Harry and the vine flicker big time. As if there's some kind of graphic conflict or corruption. 

 

Attached is the .bin I'm running:

 

 

pitfall.bin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, blackbox said:

For what it is worth- it isn't just you!

I have exactly the same problem here, I reported it on this forum and received no useful response.  I did ask if anyone had the game running on an fg99- silence.

I guess  possibly  the four chips are concatenated into the bin in an order that fg99 doesn't like.  If that is the case it should be possible to arrange them in an order that fg99 is compatible with, but so far no volunteers have stepped forward.

That's two of us cannot play it....    best wishes  s

 

funny I remember responding to a thread recently..   perhaps instead of you all making individual threads you search for the topic?

 

 

I downloaded the file from the forum here, put it on a fg99 and it works great, without memory expansion stock console 

 

fg99's have issues sometimes with expansion devices due to poor power regulation..  try it with nothing else plugged in

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

save2600 thank you for the bin file.  it works!  Arcadeshopper if I have made you upset that was not my intention and I am sorry.  The bin from save2600 works with my 32k expansion still plugged in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JOD-I said:

save2600 thank you for the bin file.  it works!  Arcadeshopper if I have made you upset that was not my intention and I am sorry.  The bin from save2600 works with my 32k expansion still plugged in.  

there's no upset just confused why we need 3 posts outside of the pitfall topic for the same issue.. it seems counter productive when you could go there, get the binary from there and try it.. 

 

where did you get the old binary?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

come to mention it... it wasn't until after I ran save2600's bin, that, they all started working!:ponder:

 

EDIT: w or w/o 32K.

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game was originally released for the john guidry boards where the banks need to be in reversed order.

That is the reason why the original cartridge version doesn't work out-of-the box for the final grom.

The bank order needs to be switched for that. But as you have a working binary now, someone apparently already took care of this (can't remember if I did that or if it was someone else).

 

EDIT: the "flickering" as you mentioned it has to do with how the vine is rendered. Can imagine that the amount of flickering even depends if you are on a TMS9918, TMS9928 or F18A GPU. For further details refer to the source code. 

 

Just noticed that on feb 20th, it will be 10 years since I released the game on cartridge. Crazy feels like yesterday 🙄

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retroclouds said:

The game was originally released for the john guidry boards where the banks need to be in reversed order.

That is the reason why the original cartridge version doesn't work out-of-the box for the final grom.

The bank order needs to be switched for that. But as you have a working binary now, someone apparently already took care of this (can't remember if I did that or if it was someone else).

 

EDIT: the "flickering" as you mentioned it has to do with how the vine is rendered. Can imagine that the amount of flickering even depends if you are on a TMS9918, TMS9928 or F18A GPU. For further details refer to the source code. 

 

Just noticed that on feb 20th, it will be 10 years since I released the game on cartridge. Crazy feels like yesterday 🙄

 

I could swear I downloaded the binary and it worked. But you never know what is on my hard drive and I bet I had an uninverted copy in my dl directory and the new one was written as a (1) and I mistakenly copied the uninverted copy over and tested it..  this version posted here does work fine.. and I updated my comment on the original thread too including a copy

 

Thank you again for the awesome port and sharing it and the source code with the rest of us!:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...