IGNORED

Donation Voted Projects Proposed

Dropcheck

Hi,

I wanted to try something new for the new year.  A lot of times us developers decide what we are going to work on and if you, the enthusiast, are interested as well, then so be it.  But you don't get to call any shots to speak of.  We do this for a variety of reasons, all of which are valid to us.  This time I am giving you a chance to vote on one of three projects I am currently working on and not only vote but have some say in the design and implementation of the project.  I'll still have final say to keep things within budget and my skill level, but many of the features of the project will be up to you if you are the highest donor of the winning project at the end of the voting period.

This does two things.  It helps me with development costs and it gives you more control over what is developed and how.  It also reduces the final cost to everyone, since I do not have to recoup nearly as much development costs from every finished item sold.  Understand this is a donation and no monies will be returned.  I've tried to keep the minimum amount small enough to not hurt anyone who wants to vote and yet still matter when you do vote.  I need at least $100 donated for the winning project.  Any less than that and it's not enough to begin to handle the two and sometimes three version costs before the final release one.

The voting period will be 60 days in length.  The start date is today and will go to April 5th.  At the end of that period I will tally up the donation votes for each project and the first and second place max donors for the wining project and report on my website and this thread.  Understand this is a money donation vote for one of the three projects you want me to complete.  Once the wining project is determined, I hope to have the finished project done within six months or less.  The first place highest donor will receive upto 75% off of the build cost of the finished project.  The second place highest donor will receive upto 50% off of the build cost. 

So for instance 

Project Two is declared the winner of the vote and John Q donated the most money towards the cost of development of the project.  Susie Q is the next highest donor for that project. 

Project Two costs $35.00 to assemble and test to build out specifications for one.  That means that John Q would only have to pay $8.75 + shipping for one.  Susie Q would have to pay $17.50 + shipping. 

If you choose to not vote for whatever reason, I understand and it's all good.  You don't need to explain why.  If no one is interested then this thread will die on it's own. 

Go to this link for more information on the three projects to donate vote for.  You will need to have a Paypal account to make a donation vote. 

Thank you,

• Like 5

There were some projects in the past where you cooperated with fabulous electronic designers like @tf_hh and @santosp. I can appreciate the creative thinking of doing it differently this time (with the donation votes), but as a pretty active and enthusiast a8 user, I would encourage more cooperation like you people did with the super SDX cart. Everybody has good ideas but from time to time it turns out that the final product does not meet everybody's expectations or needs (or that it has some weak points in the design). This risk is always there of course, but I honestly have more faith in cooperations. Cooperations give a chance where everybody does his or her part the best.

The plethora of multi-carts we have floating around is one good example of that. And although I like them all, none of them are doing just that what makes them really the ultimate. It is the same with all the stand-alone SIO2... solutions. Sio2SD is great but lacks a RTC and does not have a very user friendly U/I. Sio2USB from abbuc is fabulous (also with the amazing YASH program), and has even RTC on board. But it is limited to D1:-D3: and is slow on higher sectors. And so on. When more of the brilliant minds in the a8 scene would work together (and also let the users join in the process, like you propose!) then that might lead indeed to something amazing.

When I look at myself. I don't know much about electronics (I can handle a solder iron though) or design. But I am absolutely talented in beta-testing (and breaking) stuff. People design something or write software, and most of the time within little time I have found enough trouble or problems, which are important enough to improve to make a better product. People who work too much on their own might miss these things due to blind spots. 

So yes... I appreciate the fact that you try a different route (with you asking for donation votes). But I read your initial post in the first place as an insight in 'challenges' electronic designers face. So instead of donating, I give you the suggestion of cooperation: try to form a group of skilled people with different talents, and work together. It might lead to a stunning end product, which a lot of people want to obtain and will enjoy! 

Good luck with your new a8 adventure!

Marius

Edited by Marius
rewrote two lines for more clarity.
  • Like 6

Would be great if the MIDI portion also included a WaveBlaster port! MIDI THRU is not necessary. Can be done in software if really needed, or through an external MIDI hub. I assume FujiNet will handle the RTC.

I'll send some money your way. Vote for SIO2IO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

Wireless CX-40.

So I donated for CX-40 this morning, after reading more about it. I have couple of ideas and suggestions.

Make it universal, one for all DB9 systems, maybe with two button support. Put the receiver in small, external enclosure and connect it to the computer or console with cables, reuse them from joysticks. Many of us have multiple computers and consoles and we use them alternatively (for example I use PAL XE and NTSC 600XL). This will eliminate need to purchase dedicated receiver for every system. Indicator LED under fire button? Adjustable rapid fire? Three way power switch: OFF-ON-ON with rapid fire?

5 hours ago, ivop said:

Would be great if the MIDI portion also included a WaveBlaster port! MIDI THRU is not necessary. Can be done in software if really needed, or through an external MIDI hub. I assume FujiNet will handle the RTC.

I'll send some money your way. Vote for SIO2IO.

I agree with ivop on the MIDI aspect. Not sure what you have in mind for the circuit, but I would recommend the one being used for the latest SIO2MIDI board, since it is bare bones simple, but still gets the job done nicely.

I'll also be donating to the SIO2IO which looks to be a very nice addition to the A8 upgrades.

• Like 1

Hello Lenore

Since everybody is coming up with ideas:

SIO2IO:

- I'd love a MIDI THRU port.  And a WaveBlaster port.

- I'd also like to see a second SIO port.

- What size is the PCB at the moment?  (Approximately)

Wireless CX40:

- If you use joystick extension cables, you don't need different versions of the receiver.

- Your idea is to replace the existing PCB inside the CX40.  Why not use a PCB that has a DB9 receptacle?  The user would plug the joystick (cable) into the PCB, which could not only be a lot smaller (and therefor cheaper), but it would also enable the user to connect ANY joystick to the Wireless_Upgrade_PCB.  This would not only broaden the market for this product to all joysticks, but also to all computers that use the DB9/Atari 8bit compatible joystick port.  And maybe even more important, it would be plug and play.  No screw drivers needed and no modifications to the joystick needed.

How's the donation project going?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Just to give a little update. 

XF551 Internal/External Versions is ahead in the vote at this point 2 to 1 to the SIO2IO and 20 to 1 to the Wireless CX40 as far as total dollar donations go. 

SIO2IO is ahead in the vote at this point 2 to 1 to the XF551 Internal/External versions and 5 to 1 to the Wireless CX40 as far as total number of voters go.

I'm not writing this to criticize other people choices, but how many more XF551 clones we need? I already have two different ones that fit in original case and one internal with 3.5" drive. I know about al least one more for 3.5" drive, 

4321343900_1580476348.jpg

I am pretty sure that I'm missing at least one or two more. 

35 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

I'm not writing this to criticize other people choices, but how many more XF551 clones we need? I already have two different ones that fit in original case and one internal with 3.5" drive. I know about al least one more for 3.5" drive, 

Hence my advice to Dropcheck to work together.  There are so many bright lights in this scene capable of great things... but people stay in their own bubble way too much. I am pretty sure a cooperation project is what we need right  now.

16 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

I think at least one issue is with the availability of those boards.  Zaxxon's boards are hard to come by here in the states.  And it appears while he is still producing them, it's not in any volume.   Ten here and there.  My contributions except for the SF551 board(a SF314 case drop-in board) don't natively support 3.5" drives, much less the slimline laptop drives that are dirt cheap now.

Based on the donation vote lead that the XF551 clone project has I would have to say that the demand is still there.  And people willing to pay money for continued development of that format. 

You can certainly debate whether it is needed and I hear you on that.  But at one point or another some 68 different flavors of Jello have graced our grocery store shelves, including Spam. ?   Currently there are 27 active flavors.  Surely we only need four flavors, grape, cherry, strawberry and watermelon.  :)

• Like 2

I would love to see a small xf551 board which can fit under the mech. in a 3D printed case like this one:

image.png.2520290252faedc8f3c699d023302b2c.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3287420

So then we can have an "unofficial" 1050 3.5" version. The Sony drives MPF920 with black faceplate are very easy to get. My guess is that this 3D printed case can make a big difference in terms of popularity, instead of a generic case.

My 2 cents. (more cents to come your way soon).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Just to give a little update. 

XF551 Internal/External Versions is ahead in the vote at this point 2 to 1 to the SIO2IO and 20 to 1 to the Wireless CX40 as far as total dollar donations go. 

SIO2IO is ahead in the vote at this point 2 to 1 to the XF551 Internal/External versions and 5 to 1 to the Wireless CX40 as far as total number of voters go.

Maybe my comprehension is poor this morning, but it looks to me like you have a contradiction here...

1 minute ago, Gunstar said:

Maybe my comprehension is poor this morning, but it looks to me like you have a contradiction here...

Not really.  ?

The Donation Vote count is how much money has been donated for one of three proposed projects, and then in the winning project who donated the most.

For instance you can have only 3 people donate the most money for the SIO2IO project, such that it wins and of the three  Susie Q donated the most. 

In this instance the most money donated has gone to the XF551 clone project, but more people have voted for the SIO2IO project.

I'll definitely cut off the vote if the individual donation amounts get ridiculous.  That's why I chose such low minimum donation amounts.   So the many can overcome the few or the one. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I had the same reading comprehension problem Gunstar had, until after the fifth time rereading the lines or something, I realised the end of the sentence was different :)

16 hours ago, Mathy said:

Since everybody is coming up with ideas:

SIO2IO:

- I'd love a MIDI THRU port.  And a WaveBlaster port.

- I'd also like to see a second SIO port.

- What size is the PCB at the moment?  (Approximately)

Why a THRU port? Honestly, how many times have you used it? :)

Second SIO port is a really good idea. Actually, looking at the mockup, there's no SIO port at all? I think at least one is nice, so you can keep daisy chaining. Perhaps a 2nd port, so it also acts as a hub.

Considering the size of a 40 pin IC, I think it's about ~5000 mil x ~3000 mil, 5"x3", 12.7cm x 7.62cm. Rough guess. Dropcheck has the exact measurements :)

Edit: to keep cost down, you could not populate those with SIO jacks. Same for a MIDI THRU port. Footprint is there for those who want it, et cetera...

Edited by ivop

Unfortunately I doubt there will be even one original SIO port unless it is sold as a DIY project.  SIO ports are gold currency.  Trying to do even one on an assembled board is going to severely limit the volume of boards. 

More likely it will be a single pigtail or a DB15 connector.