IGNORED

City Defence (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

9 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Considering the suggestion of a name change to City Defender thanks to @Karl G. So i have created this title and think it actually looks pretty good. The name fits with the gameplay too.

That's definitely a better name since you're mostly defending the city.

It looks like there's an Atari 2600 Hack of Missile Command called City Defender: https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=114

And an Atari 8-bit port of Missile Command also called City Defender: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-city-defender_20815.html

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

That's definitely a better name since you're mostly defending the city.

It looks like there's an Atari 2600 Hack of Missile Command called City Defender: https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=114

And an Atari 8-bit port of Missile Command also called City Defender: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-city-defender_20815.html

Yeah i did notice the name was used quite a few times when i google search as with missile defender. What i find interesting is the titlescreen with this video, the skyline of the city with water surrounding it. Although mine is along side a lake it's interesting to see the similarity in design (was kind of a shock to see this as i thought my design was unique). Gameplay is vastly different though with a powerstation, playifield buildings and actual warheads but wow.

The name is what's getting to me as City Defender fits the purpose however i don't like to copy others. I would rather make my games somewhat original even if they're a de-make or revamp ect. Only problem i have with Missile Defender is it sounds like the player is defending Missiles rather then the City and that's why i liked Karl's suggestion.

Other names have been running through my mind but nothing seems to make sense or interest me as of yet. I must say i am a bit bummed about that titlescreen in that video now, it's so similar to mine :( Anyway it was my own idea and design so i am happy with that.

Edited by TwentySixHundred

Personally I like the name Missile Defender more, due to the similar concept to Missile Command, but especially after seeing an already existing game named City Defender.   Just throwing out thesaurus ideas for fun:  Missile Commander; Rocket Commander; Rocket Defender; Missile Defense; Missile Avenger; Missile Mission. 

It is looking like a quality game regardless of the name you decide on! 

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Personally I like the name Missile Defender more, due to the similar concept to Missile Command, but especially after seeing an already existing game named City Defender.   Just throwing out thesaurus ideas for fun:  Missile Commander; Rocket Commander; Rocket Defender; Missile Defense; Missile Avenger; Missile Mission. 

It is looking like a quality game regardless of the name you decide on! 

Thanks for the kind words Cafeman, yeah i am at such a loss what to call this game and starting to think of just sticking with Missile Defender. I have to admit this is probably one the hardest decisions so far, as nothing sounds right or already taken. I have came up with Missile Mayhem or ICBM Mayhem, however once again indecisive.

8 hours ago, easmith said:

Air Raid ? 

I believe was once previously a 2600 title (the infamous rare t-handle blue cart). Would make sense though probably wouldn't sit well with collectors being named the same as a rare title.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:31 AM, cjherr said:

I think this is an outstanding companion to Missile Command.

What about City Defense?

Thanks for the kind words, yeah i will have to think it over however im actually quite liking this one.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, D Train said:

defense command?

Not too bad either, TBH i have been thinking it through the past couple of days and still can't make up my mind. Was also considering just reverting back to Missile Defender as when happy with a name i second guess it the next day lol

So running with City Defence/Defense as i quite like the name, problem is there is American English and British English. Not thinking or realizing i made the titlescreen in Australian/British English spelt "Defence". That's kind of put a downer on which way to go lol. Anyway this is what i have so far.

1051642688_CityDefence20200229.thumb.png.8f5aed804915b9a644db2c5c4d1aae7a.png

Latest Build: City Defence 20200229.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Great title screen! I don't see why you couldn't just stick with the Queen's English for spelling?

Thanks yeah i know it really shouldn't matter but some people may not like the English spelling of the title. Other then that i think the font is more consistent rather then my other attempts so happy with how that turned out :)

Also thanks to @cjherr for the title suggestion it has been growing on me the past few days ?Either way i am shocking at making decisions so hopefully i stick with this one lol

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

No hang ups here concerning American vs. Queen’s English. I’m just happy that you decided to make this game. It’s turned out to be a nice variation of Missile Command.

Can’t wait to try the latest build.?

100% agreement

• Thanks 1

I just found out this thread is here. You might want to adapt this program to work with your code:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_smooth_chase

The way it is now, the dot moving to the spot where you pressed the fire button can move oddly. That smooth code I linked to could make it look more natural.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

So running with City Defence/Defense as i quite like the name, problem is there is American English and British English. Not thinking or realizing i made the titlescreen in Australian/British English spelt "Defence". That's kind of put a downer on which way to go lol. Anyway this is what i have so far.

1051642688_CityDefence20200229.thumb.png.8f5aed804915b9a644db2c5c4d1aae7a.png

Latest Build: City Defence 20200229.bin 32 kB · 7 downloads

Here’s my HS with the latest build.  I notice that the screen jumps in between waves. 

4840DC08-70C2-412B-AD36-D90A577CF511.jpeg

BA8D1F7E-F687-412B-A6D1-2A4072FC748F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for input everyone and it's good to see the American vs Queens English doesn't bother anyone. I was even considering two different different titlescreens depending on the region. So if it were to bother anyone they could use the region that relates to them. That way it would cater to everyone and im really considering to make PAL50 and PAL60 releases also.

7 hours ago, RevEng said:

Some alternate name suggestions...

NORAD

DEFCON 1

or more global and a bit more obscure or enigmatic...

TEOTWAWKI

I like all those titles however TEOTWAWKI is really good and i can see that becoming a title name ??Looks like i got some more thinking to do lol

6 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I just found out this thread is here. You might want to adapt this program to work with your code:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_smooth_chase

The way it is now, the dot moving to the spot where you pressed the fire button can move oddly. That smooth code I linked to could make it look more natural.

Thanks RT for the link, i was actually looking into how was it done in Missile Command. Then the other part of me thought it wasn't too bad as it looks kind of like it's a homing missile. I probably should have a good look into this again cheers ?

58 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Here’s my HS with the latest build.  I notice that the screen jumps in between waves. 

4840DC08-70C2-412B-AD36-D90A577CF511.jpeg

BA8D1F7E-F687-412B-A6D1-2A4072FC748F.jpeg

WOW! That is an amazing score, i still struggle getting anything over 18k lol. Thanks for the bug report of screen roll, Stella shows a stable screen count so this is where hardware testing is much appreciated. I am sure i have too many calculations and checks before screen updating causing over-cycle during the wave intermissions. Thanks, i will look into where i can throw some screen updates to lower the cycle count for checks ?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

like all those titles however TEOTWAWKI is really good and i can see that becoming a title name ??Looks like i got some more thinking to do lol

It certainty avoids the spelling issues!?

• Haha 1

Ok so i have replicated the screen roll issue in stella and have fixed the issue as far as i can see. Problem was as i suspected over-cycle and was due to a couple of reasons. First was the shear amount calculations and data fetching within a single frame. I managed to bring the scanline count back down to a stable 262 then still had an issue of jitter.

After looking into it deeper and shuffling code blocks around to try and fit everything into a single bank, i realized it's far too large. So with the two banks that are needed for all the checks i cleaned up the flow and placed strategic screen updates. Mainly around intensive routines that will cause any problems in the future (hopefully). Along with this i made sure that after switching banks the screen would also update once again to prevent any slight hiccups.

There is so much going on during the intermission period however because sprites are static the time it takes for screen updates isn't noticeable. I would have liked to fit all that code in a single bank, however i have plans to regenerate city buildings as strategic gameplay. So this will be another intensive and costly set of routines in future builds if i decide to go with the idea. Atleast there is space in those two banks for that feature (hopefully). If that pans out well, i will still have a full bank left for whatever i feel like adding to the game like easter eggs or whatever ?

New build!

Changelog:

• bug - fixed screen roll / jitter
  • bug - improved alignment of warhead explosion sprite in accordance to warhead position
  • code  - cleanup and improved flow

Latest Build:

City Defence 20200301.bin

If any bugs are found please let me know, cheers ?