IGNORED

hooking a nano-peb to a PC via serial

hloberg

Yes, you can connect the NanoPEB RS232 port to a PC RS232 port and exchange data. 

You can use the NanoPEB version of Dsk2Pc to copy disks to and from the NanoPEB.  And you can use the NanoPEB version of CfHdx to copy files. 

Extended Basic programs can also use this interface to send and receive data, if you have your own uses for it.  In my case, my TI Gamestation interface exchanges commands with Python service scripts on a PC, which routes RS232 commands as necessary to a larger "network" of RS232 devices. 

• Thanks 1

so if I get this right, the HDX looks like a HD as device HDX1. to the TI-99. it can also use the PC printer and clock through the NanoPEB serial port.

another question about the serial port (nanoPEB and otherwise). anything on using a serial mouse with the serial port of the TI99? I remember seeing something a long time ago but can't remember what was said.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

i thought so I just couldn't remember where I saw it. must been your article I read. I have a Microsoft mouse like you mentioned so it should work.

going to have fun this weekend playing with the mouse and HDX on the NanoPEB. ?

Fun fact: as much as TIPI mice have kind of eclipsed the relevance of this solution in the present day, it's even possible to have a wireless NanoPEB mouse, if one so desires. 

I've got a Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse, myself.  Yes, it's a wireless Serial mouse (dongle supports both PS/2 and Serial modes):

image.png.e3df0e48f77c4f13f5739926a2edad68.png

Admittedly, kind of pointless.  But honestly, what's the point of any of this stuff? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

so if I get this right, the HDX looks like a HD as device HDX1. to the TI-99. it can also use the PC printer and clock through the NanoPEB serial port.

another question about the serial port (nanoPEB and otherwise). anything on using a serial mouse with the serial port of the TI99? I remember seeing something a long time ago but can't remember what was said.

Yes but on a nano it's only going to work in cfhdxs and dsk2pc. No DSR. I have a post here on how to set it up it's linked in the FAQ you can also use mfm with the same cable to do xmodem transfers manually from a PC term program to the TI clock and printer requires the DSR so not on a nano.. however you can run ti print on the PC and use the same cable to print serially to it without HDX

Hdx runs at 38400 baud

Mfm at 19200

And if you just try using a term pgm your baud rate will be lucky to work any faster than 2400 baud

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

Fun fact: as much as TIPI mice have kind of eclipsed the relevance of this solution in the present day, it's even possible to have a wireless NanoPEB mouse, if one so desires. 

I've got a Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse, myself.  Yes, it's a wireless Serial mouse (dongle supports both PS/2 and Serial modes):

image.png.e3df0e48f77c4f13f5739926a2edad68.png

Admittedly, kind of pointless.  But honestly, what's the point of any of this stuff? 

I once had an old IBM wireless serial mouse. had a battery life of couple months and only work line-of-site. boy we've come a long way.

the more pointless, the more fun. ? I mean what the point of a HDX connection to your NanoPEB to transfer files when you can just take the CF card out and use TIDir? still, it can be done!

while I'm on a roll and speaking of really pointless a long time ago in a city far, far away (Atlanta) I hooked up a NanoPEB to the internet using a RS232 to ethernet adapter. mostly worked but that was before Stuart's (?) web browser so mostly useless. the hardest part was configuring the RS232>ethernet device. had to go through 3 of them before I found one still in working order. 

I once had an old IBM wireless serial mouse. had a battery life of couple months and only work line-of-site. boy we've come a long way.

the more pointless, the more fun. [emoji16] I mean what the point of a HDX connection to your NanoPEB to transfer files when you can just take the CF card out and use TIDir? still, it can be done!
the more times you remove the CF card from your nano peb the more likely it is to stop working I would not remove it unless you absolutely have to.. I sell big enough cards to where you can fit pretty much everything made for the ti on it so if you have a tiny card that solution is easy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

the more times you remove the CF card from your nano peb the more likely it is to stop working I would not remove it unless you absolutely have to.. I sell big enough cards to where you can fit pretty much everything made for the ti on it so if you have a tiny card that solution is easy

good point. FYI on your FYIs. I marked them. good info, thanks.

• 9 months later...

just created a crossover cable and successfully attached my old Dell laptop to my NanoPEB and transferred files using CFHDX. (I'll detail in a project blog later). turned out creating the cable was real easy.

Question, could a driver be created that loaded into memory and emulated a DSR for the HDX that could then be used in, say, XB?

Also, anyone ever tried to use the a PC to connect to the internet then send the data through the serial line to the TI99?

• Like 1

just created a crossover cable and successfully attached my old Dell laptop to my NanoPEB and transferred files using CFHDX. (I'll detail in a project blog later). turned out creating the cable was real easy.

Question, could a driver be created that loaded into memory and emulated a DSR for the HDX that could then be used in, say, XB?

Also, anyone ever tried to use the a PC to connect to the internet then send the data through the serial line to the TI99?
Theres a dsr for hdx but it is only for the ti rs232 card. It should be added to the nano dsr but he's likely not interested in doing that.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Theres a dsr for hdx but it is only for the ti rs232 card. It should be added to the nano dsr but he's likely not interested in doing that.

Also there is a internet browser for serial but it only works for the ti web pages.

And requires a uds10 or emu on the pc

• Like 1

I got the CFHDX working on my TI99. got it figured out except on the menu you set DISK sub-directoy on the TI99HDX.com on the PC. HELP says:

Opens the default Windows dialog box for selecting a directory.
ti99hdx_disks.gif
Selecting the TI99 disks directory

h.thumb.gif.d8946ec5aef218804e30b76786654d83.gif

This directory will be used by the Ti99Hdx program for uploading and downloading DSK images.

How do you do this or can you NOT do this on the CFHDX transfer DOAD .DSK files?

I got the CFHDX working on my TI99. got it figured out except on the menu you set DISK sub-directoy on the TI99HDX.com on the PC. HELP says:

Opens the default Windows dialog box for selecting a directory.
imageproxy.php?img=ti99hdx_disks.gif&key=d4fedcd79d5038b26e6e70ad061248b90562bc009ce0d4c13b6cda5ce0ab94c6
Selecting the TI99 disks directory

h.thumb.gif.d8946ec5aef218804e30b76786654d83.gif

This directory will be used by the Ti99Hdx program for uploading and downloading DSK images.

How do you do this or can you NOT do this on the CFHDX transfer DOAD .DSK files?
disk2PC does dsk images

• Thanks 1