IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo released!

Philsan

Yep. You should test for PAL/NTSC and set the appropriate colors, either by table or simple algorithm.

Here's a sample of what I've used. You can see most of the hues just need to be shifted by one in the same direction to accommodate.

..  Test for PAL (xxxx000x) / NTSC (xxxx111x)
    IF PEEK ( eCOLPM2 ) & $0E

..      (NTSC)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $D6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $1C
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $34
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $94

ELSE

..      (PAL)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $C6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $EC
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $24
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $84

ENDIF

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, Cafeman said:

I can probably override a few colors for PAL once I understand it more.

Cafeman, it would be nice to see all the colours adjusted for PAL :) The simplest rule is to leave colour 0 intact and shift other colours by one, like in the table in the fourth post here (Google translated).

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Color 2 for red in PAL?

Not where I come from.

Been a while since I turned on a real machine but red is 3.  2 closer to orange.

For NTSC,  red is $3x and $2x is orange. But above you see the yellow sand in his PAL , which is color $1x, looks orange.  Why is there a difference of opinion?  When you say color 3, do you mean values in the $3x range In hex?

And what is BTSC? 

24 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

For NTSC,  red is $3x and $2x is orange. But above you see the yellow sand in his PAL , which is color $1x, looks orange.  Why is there a difference?  When you say color 3, do you mean values in the $3x range In hex?

And what is BTSC? 

BTSC = fat-finger NTSC... :-)

You are correct about $2x and $2x, that is exactly what I am seeing here.

Colors are now much, much better than the Grinch-green castle... 

• Haha 1

Is this the most beautiful 8bit game ever made?  I mean if you ignore anything possible on the VBXE, but this game just looks like one of those titles where you can honestly sya 'if this were released in 1982, Atari would have had a much better chance to have continued on their path.'  Then again I think that was the year Jay Miner left because Atari couldn't see the use in going to the 68000....

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

Colour 3 as in $3x range.

It's a big weakness of the PAL palette on Atari, there's a generous serve of blues, greens OK but only 1 proper red and a somewhat desaturated one at that.

Well, that sounds exactly true of the NTSC palette too. Reds are too dark then they turn pink when brightened.  All in $3x range. There are more purples or magenta than pure reds.  There is a contradiction whether PAL reds are $2x or as rybags states at $3x. Are there Euro and Aussie differences in colors but both are PAL?

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

3 is the only proper PAL red.

Well, sorry, but you just can't say "$3x" is anything, unless you're going to state a luminance value with it.

This is how PAL $24 looks in Altirra (this is the game that the table I posted above is from). I'll agree $2x is more "orangish" for PAL when you get into luminance values of $x6 and higher. But you'll have a problem with $3x looking pinkish (or flesh tone) for PAL when using luminances of $x6 and higher too.

19561628_slotspal.thumb.png.33b394b257595551d3d26d8f9a02612c.png

I don't have a PAL machine anymore, but I had one when Tep392 and I worked on Pac-Man Arcade. We chose $24 for everything red in PAL and $34 for everything red in NTSC (except, maybe, on the title screen; I'd have to check it again...).

[Edit: Just checked it out, and yes, we used $34 PAL and $44 NTSC on the Pac-Man Arcade title screen.]

As far as what I consider "red" on the systems, NTSC and PAL both have 2 red "zones", in the darker luminances, $2x (PAL)/$3x (NTSC) being what I call "tomato paste" red and $3x (PAL)/$4x (NTSC) being what I call "fire engine" red.

Edited by MrFish

20 hours ago, leech said:

Is this the most beautiful 8bit game ever made?  I mean if you ignore anything possible on the VBXE, but this game just looks like one of those titles where you can honestly sya 'if this were released in 1982, Atari would have had a much better chance to have continued on their path.'  Then again I think that was the year Jay Miner left because Atari couldn't see the use in going to the 68000....

This would've been an excellent pack-in for the XEGS. A new, great-looking game that ties to Atari's past while updating for the future. Could've really rejuvenated the 8-bit line.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adam242 said:

This would've been an excellent pack-in for the XEGS. A new, great-looking game that ties to Atari's past while updating for the future. Could've really rejuvenated the 8-bit line.

That made me think--did the XEGS launch with any original titles? Or had they all been available before? Was the reworked Mario Bros. in conjunction with the XE launch?

7 hours ago, BoatofCar said:

That made me think--did the XEGS launch with any original titles? Or had they all been available before? Was the reworked Mario Bros. in conjunction with the XE launch?

The light gun games - Bug Hunt, Barnyard Blaster, Crime Buster and Crossbow were all originals.

Pretty sure Dark Chambers, Airball, Into The Eagle's Nest and Thunderfox too.

• Thanks 1