IGNORED

Classic Gaming systems..

Monk

This is a neat discussion area, but why are the sub-area titles so inconsistent and lacking?

Some are just 'High Score Clubs' (why?), and there are only a handful of systems listed. Why these particular ones?

I understand the omission of  2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar, since they have dedicated areas of their own.

Also, is this about 'consoles only', or are computers allowed to join? (Aquarius is certainly a computer, if I remember correctly)

However, why are these systems not listed?:

- Neo-Geo

- Sega Saturn

- Sega Dreamcast

- Super Famicom (you have Genesis, but not SNes?)

- Arcades

- Amiga CD32

- Nintendō 64

- Sony Playstation

- Sony Playstation 2

What about all the hand-held devices? Gameboy, Game Gear, etc.? I mean, Lynx is already there, so why not others as well?

Just wondering.

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2

I think because they are mostly based around what people have started and are interested in.

I think generally most people here are most interested in the classic era....mostly pre nes and atari era.

And mostly cart based stuff and not optical/modern gaming so much.

Mostly because there is pre-NES things too.

When I looked past French forums (which aren't big with pre-NES stuff and are heavily tarnished with "console wars"... Come on guys, that was 30 years ago, it's NOT fun anymore) Atariage was clearly the biggest one out there. Although I appreciate not having to spread myself over dozens of forums.

And well it was apparently a good call since NintendoAge is dead now.

AtariAge is way past Atari stuff and it's a great thing.

I imagine it just happened organically as certain systems got enough discussion to overwhelm this general section. We really don't need a separate area for every single console- how many threads on the Amiga CD32 are we really gonna see? Eliminating them altogether is also a bad idea though- some sections, like the one for Intellivision, are quite active & do need/deserve their own space.

Perhaps a slight re-organization to a company based setup would help... like, instead of a Genesis section there's a Sega section? Could work.

In the past it's been explained that Nintendo sections were not created because of the existence of nintendoage.

There are already strong Sega 8 and 16-bit forums out there and until recently the was a strong PC Engine/TG-16 forum.

32-bit generation consoles weren't thought of as "classic" many years ago. I guess that perspective has changed a lot not that several more generations have come and gone.

But demand for dedicated sections should be measured by the volume and activity of individual threads for other consoles and so far it doesn't look like there's enough interest.

There is a "classic computer" section of the forum.  That's where the Aquarius should be but they put it under Intellivision instead.

Subsections only get created when there are enough topics/threads to justify one.  Otherwise you create topics/threads in the classic gaming general section or the classic computer section.

• Like 1

This question comes up more often than the number of topics in the proposed sub-forums themselves probably would...

No gaming forum is going to be all things to all people. They all specialize in one thing or another. I think the specialization of this site is pretty clear by its name. Over the years the other sub-forums have popped up mostly because there were enough topics to annoy people in other, non-related sub-forums, but that doesn't mean the site has ever tried to do everything. It's really more of an attempt at keeping things organized.

• Like 1

There's an easy partial solution to this for some consoles... just rename the TG-16, SMS, NES, and SNES HSC subforums to just be general subforums about those consoles with the HSC a part of it... I know the TG-16 HSC forum definitely has non-HSC related discussion in it... not to mention that the HSC for some of these consoles are pretty dead...

Edited by DragonGrafx-16