IGNORED

Lode Runner C=64 - can the keys be redefined?

hwrd

I am stuck on level 141 in Lode Runner on the 64, and am wondering if anyone knows if the keys can be redefined?

(the U and O keys for digging are too close to the direction keys for me to use well.)

All I found remotely resembling useful was https://entropymine.com/jason/lr/misc/controls.html, but I could not get this to work on a C=64.

(tried a THE64, and a real C=128)

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I found that the key controls are hard coded starting at $9A99, give or take. It is possible to modify the CRT file with the controls of your liking. You could try it in the emulator first.

Enable the monitor (Alt + M) and type in the commands:

A 9AAF CMP #$3E

[return twice]

A 9AB9 CMP #$11

[return twice]

X to return to the game

It will temporarily reconfigure digging left to Q and digging right to R.

This BASIC program will display decimal values for each keypress, if you want to figure out other keys:

10 PRINT PEEK(197):GOTO 10

It displays 64 when no key is pressed. Write down the keys/values you prefer, which then can be converted to hexadecimal. The CRT file probably needs to be modified in a hex editor and saved. Not sure how you load it on real hardware, except extracting the PRG portion of it and soft loading from e.g. disk. I can help you with the fine details once you've settled how you want it to be modified.

Edited by carlsson
  • Thanks 1