IGNORED

So what exactly is the Jaguar complete set?

Rayvolution

• 2 weeks later...

So, thought you guys might find this interesting. 

I ordered Worms and Breakout 2000 from Telegames. In the comments I asked "If at all possible, if you have non-Limited edition copies can I get one?". They replied with "Breakout cartridge to follow in few weeks, Worms enclosed, sorry for delay. No ‘un’ limited box for Worms, Breakout ok, Regards Telegames". So me, hoping for the best, waited for them both to arrive from the UK.

They arrived, Breakout 2000 missing the cartridge as they said it would be. That's fine, as I don't actually plan to play the game soon anyway. So I open the two boxes and inspect them, and Worms is a Limited Edition and complete, new and overall fine. Breakout 2000 on the other hand, I got a *non* Limited Edition box (yaay!).. But a Limited Edition manual, and I assume a Limited Edition cartridge en route.

So, I now.. sorta own a kinda complete Breakout 2000, now I have to decide if this is in fact "complete" or if I own 2 halves of 2 variants. ?

Bonus pic: I also got my hands on that PAL variant of Power Drive Rally in excellent condition! Thanks to NeoGeoNinja for letting me know about it. :)

20200221_151434.jpg

20200221_152415.jpg

Edited by Rayvolution
Typos

• 1 month later...

Little bit of an old bump but from what I'm gathering. A few Songbird games would be considered apart of a retail set? Specifically Towers II, Zero 5, Worms, and Breakout 2000. But what about  Hyper Force, Protector, Sky Hammer, Soccer Kid, Total Carnage? I've always used he rarity guide on here as a more or less "official" list and Total Carnage is listed as a homebrew while the others are listed as a standard release.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:41 PM, Leatherrebel5150 said:

Little bit of an old bump but from what I'm gathering. A few Songbird games would be considered apart of a retail set? Specifically Towers II, Zero 5, Worms, and Breakout 2000. But what about  Hyper Force, Protector, Sky Hammer, Soccer Kid, Total Carnage? I've always used he rarity guide on here as a more or less "official" list and Total Carnage is listed as a homebrew while the others are listed as a standard release.

Towers II, Worms, and Breakout 2000 were all released by Telegames (and not Songbird) in the late '90s for the contemporary gaming market, and not  for a legacy console, unlike everything that was published after 2000. These three titles also received (some) notice from the  contemporary gaming press, which is unlike today, when releases for legacy systems are typically covered only by sites devoted to retro gaming. Although, ironically enough, that exposure is probably more favourable and widespread than anything that the Jag received during its actual commercial life.  so I'm sure some people feel that the Telegames titles mark the end of the Jag's "commercial" period, and they are therefore not to be included in the list of "homebrew" titles. I personally fail to see the value in maintaining this distinction, though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

There is no official Jaguar collectors certification board for your collection; no 100% complete certificate to be earned; so realistically it's whatever makes you happy! 

I'm ready to take on the task. Just send me your copy of Battlesphere Gold (For proof of completion) and I will send out this limited edition certificate of authenticity.

certJagCol.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Just took stock, i am missing International Sensible Soccer and Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls from the original retail run.

So close.....will have to snag those in the months ahead just to say i climbed the mountain of pain. 

I use to have serveral complete sets for different systems, but when our house burned, I decided the Jaguar would be the only system I complete. Ohhhhhhh, what a glorious decision that was!!!!

I am glad I bought most of it right after the fire(7 years ago) cuz like most games, prices have climbed. At least Sensible Soccer is on the lower end. I think I played DD once.....it was enough for me

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got brain cancer by trying to figure out how to play Double Dragon V- the jaguar version because its so broken in gameplay. 
the best i came up with is to lower the time to 30 seconds and then when the round begins use some jumping attack to get the enemy life down a bit and then keep them at bay with a projectile. 

i am going for Kasumi Ninja instead- 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, Rayvolution said:

Hey all, I've been collecting Jaguar for quite a while now.. and I think I'm nearly at a complete set. But I'm not entirely sure what a "complete set" is. Where do we draw the line between the titles when the Jaguar was released, and the titles that came out after the Jaguar is canceled? There's a lot of games that were released in the late 90s I'm not sure exactly where or how they fit in, and if they're considered part of the complete set, like AirCars, Worms, Battlesphere, Zero 5, and possibly Towers II.

For now, I've just been running off this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_Jaguar_games

Now I'm down to AirCars, Breakout 2000 and Worms on that list and trying to figure out exactly what I am missing. Anyone out there able to give me some direction on what the community generally considers an official release, homebrew, etc, and what constitutes a "complete set"?

I attached a pic of my Jag stuff if you guys are interested. :)

Thanks!

EQJCU0qXsAERNzh.jpg

love the collection ! I see u got hard drivin on sega there too. I myself have built a decent enough sega genesis collection- 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Along the lines of a complete Jaguar set, I recall a few years back there was a game available for a short time.  I think it was being sold through eBay International, and the price was really high...  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-$200 with shipping to the United States.  The game itself may have had a submarine or boat theme, and the seller was possibly in Russia or somewhere in that region.  Does anyone know what that game was, and if it is still available anywhere?  Did anyone actually buy it?

33 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Along the lines of a complete Jaguar set, I recall a few years back there was a game available for a short time.  I think it was being sold through eBay International, and the price was really high...  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150-$200 with shipping to the United States.  The game itself may have had a submarine or boat theme, and the seller was possibly in Russia or somewhere in that region.  Does anyone know what that game was, and if it is still available anywhere?  Did anyone actually buy it?

Sea Battle

I got it as a Birthday present one year. I never would have bought it myself. It is a fun little game. It is worth $50-60(imo), not more. I do play it from time to time with my son. It is fun in small doses.

http://raregame.ru/text/Sea_Battle.html

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Machine said:

Sea Battle

I got it as a Birthday present one year. I never would have bought it myself. It is a fun little game. It is worth $50-60(imo), not more. I do play it from time to time with my son. It is fun in small doses.

http://raregame.ru/text/Sea_Battle.html

That's the one!  Thanks.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

Just took stock, i am missing International Sensible Soccer and Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls from the original retail run.

So close.....will have to snag those in the months ahead just to say i climbed the mountain of pain. 

Double Dragon 5 ?    That is some serious self inflicted pain.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the necroposting but I'm gradually approaching a "full" set myself (40 of the 50 cartridge releases listed on Wikipedia) and I've also been pondering the Telegames situation. I bought a brand new "Limited Edition" copy of Worms recently and I must admit I was very disappointed with the box - it's very thin cardboard, the print flakes off easily on the corners and it's so dark you can barely make out the detail. In fact it looks like it was printed at home on an inkjet printer. If it wasn't from Telegames themselves I'd swear it was a poor quality repro.

The older Telegames releases I have (Brutal Sports Football, International Sensible Soccer) are the same style of box and print as my other commercial games from "back in the day".

Anyway, I've decided to focus on the other gaps for now and look out for the earlier versions of these games, although the ones I've seen on ebay so far also seem to suffer from the poor quality printing. Nothing personal against Telegames as a publisher - it's great that they're keeping the Jaguar flame alive and I appreciate that they must be selling tiny numbers of these things now - but thought it worth noting for anyone else like me coming across this thread.