IGNORED

Space Invaders Frenzy

Rybags

I've played this 2017 arcade game a few times at a holiday destination of mine over the last couple of months.  It's got a giant screen (LED matrix?) that's probably about 6 feet high.

Normally I don't much like very many at all of the various Space Invaders clones and derivatives but this one's pretty good.

In one player mode, also phyiscally demanding, moving the turret around while manually firing off 4-5 rounds a second takes it out of you.

Though technically it'd be a big challenge and plenty would have to be cut down or left out, it'd be a good game for our old computer system.

Additional challenge would be the control system.  I suspect the arcade just uses X/Y Pots on the turrets and translates them into screen positions per player.

On the Atari I guess we could give a choice of plain joystick moving the reticle, light gun and mouse.

(note there's other videos around that better show the control system)

• Like 7

It reminds me of a Jeff Minter game, with the explosions and particle effects, straight out of Tempest or Defender 2000 on the Jaguar. I could definitely see this game, arcade perfect, on the Jaguar. I'm not sure how well it could translate to the Atari 8-bit with it's limited sprites and speed, but I'd like to see one of our resident A8 programming gurus take up the challenge. It would be a good choice for a VBXE game, I think, and I'd definitely buy a VBXE with this game available for it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

The gun is just a fancy looking joystick. If you wanted to you probably could use the paddle analog pins on the joystick port if you want the analog control feel. Everything as far as colors and speed is concerned might be challenging if software sprites have to be used.

Yes, this is essentially Space Invaders and Missile Command put together. The track-ball or mouse would be perfect, a touch tablet might be a good option too, pointing the pen to spots on the tablet might be more like the game play feel of using a gun at the arcade. Of course a light-gun option for those with CRT screens!:cool: 

But, IIRC, none of the above controllers, except maybe the light gun and touch tablet, is a true analog controller that uses the paddle inputs. the track-ball and mouse feel analog, but use the light sensor wheels that are input digitally. I'm not 100% positive about the touch-pad and light-gun though.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Light gun would be the more ‚natural‘ controller but limit playing to CRTs until someone invents an LCD light gun adapter. 

Played it once in Disney Village with slxjr and found it quite a frenzy, wasn‘t always sure what was happening. Agree that it would be a great Jaguar game. 

• Like 1

In my searching online I found there's also been a Pacman + Galaga one done in similar style.

By the looks, Galaga is virtually unchanged and probably just running under an emulation layer.

It makes mention of 2 players simultaneous for Pacman so I'd guess it's probably a rewrite.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

In my searching online I found there's also been a Pacman + Galaga one done in similar style.

By the looks, Galaga is virtually unchanged and probably just running under an emulation layer.

It makes mention of 2 players simultaneous for Pacman so I'd guess it's probably a rewrite.

I've played the pacman one. Very enjoyable but games don't last long