IGNORED

Vertical Lines and Atari 800

videofx

16 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

I have a similar symptom on one set of s-video cables while another s-video cable does not do this.  So it may be the cable.

Its a Lotherek Video cable. The Composite part of the cable DOESNT DO IT!

I have another cable somewhere have to find it and check

That banding looks like what you get sometimes with a Composite signal run into the Chroma part of a chroma/luma monitor (in other words, if the composite signal is also wired into the S-video jack along to the same pin as the chroma signal). Definitely try another cable if you can.

Good to hear composite doesn't do it. Important to know that composite can blur the lines out, fyi. So a different s-video cable would still be needed to confirm your Lotharek cable is the cause.  Both of my Lotharek s-video cables also give the hard vertical bars.  Need to tell him his combo cable on NTSC machines do this.

Edited by Sugarland

9 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Good to hear composite doesn't do it. Important to know that composite can blur the lines out, fyi. So a different s-video cable would still be needed to confirm your Lotharek cable is the cause.  Both of my Lotharek s-video cables also give the hard vertical bars.  Need to tell him his combo cable on NTSC machines does this.

Composite works on the Lotharek cable but the difference in picture quality is night and day. Even with the lines the S-Video is so much better. Now I am digging through boxes and cabled to find my other Atari cables..

UPDATE:  just found another cable and S-Video is much better. Still has the vertical lines but not as noticeable, so I just need to find a cable where the lines are gone :)

Edited by videofx
  • Like 1

I had an old S-Video (inc Audio connectors) to SCART off a VCR or DVD player, it looked well made,

so I hacked off the SCART and bought a DIN plug off EBay and soldered it to the old SCART end,

I'm using it on a LCD TV/Monitor and I get no bars.

It is down to the quality of the shielding in the cable, the one I used, each cable had its own shield,

I think cheaper ones will only have an outer shield around all the inner cores 

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, zork said:

I got exactly same issues with Lotharek cable on NTSC machine! It appears his cable is not suited for NTSC boxes.

I did a full review on this cable a while back, and discovered it has no shielding what-so-ever, which is particularly bad for S-video usage.

8 minutes ago, zork said:

Can anyone confirm that S-Video cable from 8bitclassics.com works good (without vertical bars)?

Although this cable is better, it only has a common shield for S-video. You would be far better off purchasing the Hercules cable mentioned earlier which has each and every signal wire individually shielded.

• Like 4