Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can somebody please recommend some cool games that output music to my Casio keyboard?

 

I mean it's connected via MIDI port and works great w/Music Studio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure. Ultima IV but not from much experience except for what I've seen online. My ST and Falcon are currently all boxed up and ready for the day where I have the room to put them out to use. At that point I'm going to implement some form of MIDI.
If you implement a GOTEK drive, you can try them all at your leisure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Sure. Ultima IV but not from much experience except for what I've seen online. My ST and Falcon are currently all boxed up and ready for the day where I have the room to put them out to use. At that point I'm going to implement some form of MIDI.
If you implement a GOTEK drive, you can try them all at your leisure.

I humbly maintain that Ultima IV is the greatest CRPG ever made.  Alternate Reality, had it been finished, probably would have pushed it out of that spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

This. Hard to argue about Ultima IV - although I love V as well.

 

I was a huge fan of Ultima III. IV was also pretty good but there were a few aspects that could have been improved. I did play a little of V on the PC but by time it felt a little dated and didn't capture my interest. Still, what an amazing series back in the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

I was a huge fan of Ultima III. IV was also pretty good but there were a few aspects that could have been improved. I did play a little of V on the PC but by time it felt a little dated and didn't capture my interest. Still, what an amazing series back in the day. 

I was so excited when I got III,  but by the time I finished it, I felt that it hadn't quite lived up to its promise.   IV to me was everything I was hoping III would be.

 

Never got far in V though..  I think I was always afraid of the time commitment knowing how long I spent in IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zzip said:

I was so excited when I got III,  but by the time I finished it, I felt that it hadn't quite lived up to its promise.   IV to me was everything I was hoping III would be.

 

Never got far in V though..  I think I was always afraid of the time commitment knowing how long I spent in IV.

I git very far into V, but pretty sure since it was a pirated copy, it was impossible to win.  I keep meaning to go back to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, leech said:

I git very far into V, but pretty sure since it was a pirated copy, it was impossible to win.  I keep meaning to go back to it. 

Interesting..   I was meaning to go back to.   I guess I should avoid any pirated images?   I believe I have a legit copy on CD-Rom, as long as it doesn't employ any of that "Please enter word 7 from the 3rd line on page 28 of the manual" BS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zzip said:

Interesting..   I was meaning to go back to.   I guess I should avoid any pirated images?   I believe I have a legit copy on CD-Rom, as long as it doesn't employ any of that "Please enter word 7 from the 3rd line on page 28 of the manual" BS.  

Ha, on the Atari 8bit, Ultima IV had this single track that was just bad sectors.  So when you tried to copy it, it would be blank, and then everything you would fight would only ever say 'lightly wounded'.  We figured out with the Happy 1050, we could copy full tracks (but you couldn't do sectors) so we scratched up a disk, copied over the wrecked track, and then we could kill things...

 

But that isn't where the copy protection ended.  There were two sectors on the Britania disk that were also not copied, and so were 00s throughout.  I took some graph paper and Disk Wizard II and figured out that 00 was deep water, 01 was water, etc.  Eventually I figured out what everything was, and then mapped it out on the graph paper and pretty much patched in the two sectors so they looked correct.  One of the tricks was to find where the castle entrance was, as one of the sectors was Empath Abby.  So I'd fill the sector with the town icon, and pressed E for enter on each square until I found it.  Then molded the map around the surrounding forest so it'd look right.

 

Okay, so I spent a lot of time doing this as my 9-11 year old self, but it taught me Hexadecimal, so there is that :)  I also ended up hacking around the characters as well, but it was funny as with Ultima IV you would put in 99 and it was your stat.  Ultima IV actually used hexadecimal values, so 99 was actually only 63 in game (if I recall correctly). 

 

Sorry for going so far off topic.

Back on topic, the wikipedia article about MIDI support in games really needs the Atari ST portion upgraded, as it shows only a small handful of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wally1 said:

Leech, my friend, you are a bonafide Hacker!

 

Ah, the amazing things you can do with a hex editor and having no job to occupy your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zzip said:

Interesting..   I was meaning to go back to.   I guess I should avoid any pirated images?   I believe I have a legit copy on CD-Rom, as long as it doesn't employ any of that "Please enter word 7 from the 3rd line on page 28 of the manual" BS.  

I have all the Ultima games on GOG.  I think IV is given away for free at this point too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

I was a huge fan of Ultima III. IV was also pretty good but there were a few aspects that could have been improved. I did play a little of V on the PC but by time it felt a little dated and didn't capture my interest. Still, what an amazing series back in the day. 

 

I think that's the key - "back in the day". When I first played these games, as they were being released

for the Atari's (I did III first on an 800XL, then 2-6 on the ST), they were amazing and awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

 

I think that's the key - "back in the day". When I first played these games, as they were being released

for the Atari's (I did III first on an 800XL, then 2-6 on the ST), they were amazing and awesome.

 

Yeah, I started with Ultima I on the Atari 800XL.  We put that thing through it's paces, and literally played a full 24 hours straight and won it.  I'm surprised the PSU didn't catch fire, as it was so hot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zzip said:

I was so excited when I got III,  but by the time I finished it, I felt that it hadn't quite lived up to its promise.   IV to me was everything I was hoping III would be.

 

Never got far in V though..  I think I was always afraid of the time commitment knowing how long I spent in IV.

Hmm, did you play III back then or was it later? Just curious.

That sometimes makes a difference in peoples perspective.

 

Yeah, IV was a big improvement over III, in many aspects.

 

I absolutely love V and enjoyed it from start to finish, especially the new story.

OMG - when Lord Blackthorn actually KILLS one of the players that has been

with you from earlier games (you were able to transfer previous characters),

because of a choice you make in the game, it was one of the most emotionally

gut-wrenching moments in any game I've ever played. Every time the dread

ShadowLords appear too, it's epic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, did you play III back then or was it later? Just curious.

That sometimes makes a difference in peoples perspective.

 

Yeah, IV was a big improvement over III, in many aspects.

 

I absolutely love V and enjoyed it from start to finish, especially the new story.

OMG - when Lord Blackthorn actually KILLS one of the players that has been

with you from earlier games (you were able to transfer previous characters),

because of a choice you make in the game, it was one of the most emotionally

gut-wrenching moments in any game I've ever played. Every time the dread

ShadowLords appear too, it's epic.

 

I'm trying to find the right language, but F*** those Shadow Lords.  When I finally saw a video not too long ago about all the rest of the stuff I needed to do to beat the game (actually watched a speed run of it).  Holy crap, there is some crazy things you have to do in that game!  I think I had gotten as far as beating two of them, but wasn't aware that you have to re-fight them later.  Very hard game.  Too bad Ultima V was never released on the 8bit Atari though.  Apple II an C64 did.  But then C64 got Ultima VI... but everything I've read about that version says that it should not have been a thing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, on the Atari 8bit, Ultima IV had this single track that was just bad sectors.  So when you tried to copy it, it would be blank, and then everything you would fight would only ever say 'lightly wounded'.  We figured out with the Happy 1050, we could copy full tracks (but you couldn't do sectors) so we scratched up a disk, copied over the wrecked track, and then we could kill things...

 

 

Sort of like that on the ST too. I remember trying to do a copy of

Ultima III and it seemed to work fine until you went into a town

and interacted with any merchant or vendor. Then, they would

shout, "Honesty is a Virtue! I will not help you!".   :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DarkLord said:

 

Sort of like that on the ST too. I remember trying to do a copy of

Ultima III and it seemed to work fine until you went into a town

and interacted with any merchant or vendor. Then, they would

shout, "Honesty is a Virtue! I will not help you!".   :)

 

My favorite was Alternate Reality: The Dungeon.  Where you'd be attacked by the FBI, who's weapon was "the Long Arm of the Law."  Best memory of that game... at some point, I think on level 3?  There is a dwarven smith who will let you make your own weapon and you can name it.  We named ours 'Balls'  So when you were in a fight it'd say wonderful things like 'Your Balls have been flung from your grasp!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...