Sign in to follow this  
envytomdead2

Picked up the Atgames Sega portable

I was able to pick this up for $30 and found myself pleasantly surprised!  Yes the sound is bad but the games play well. I was expecting much worse from how everyone bags on atgames sega products. I have the sonic 25th anniversary edition not sure if this is better or worse than other models. 

• Like 2

I’ve played mine quite a bit & really like it for the most part.  There are a handful of issues that hold it back but it’s a nice distraction on road trips, waiting at the doctor’s office, etc.  i paid $50.00 which is a bit much but $30.00 is not a bad deal at all. 

It isn't completely terrible, I bought one for my kid years ago.  The biggest complaint I have for it is that there is no save state for any games running from the SD card.

I found one at a "Family Dollar" store for $40 a couple weeks ago.

I loaded "Neto Boot Loader" onto mine. Sound and compatibility is much improved. Limited save functions. Game genie code support. Also it has folder support for games. 16 folders on each page. 99 folders, max. 99 games, max in each folder. 

Only downside to Neto is adding artwork is a bit more difficult and when you back out of game it takes you all the way out to the main firecore menu and you have to load Neto again.

https://www.neto-games.com.br/rom_hack/neto_boot_loader.php

Edited by Draxxon

Here is Neto Boot Loader all set up for the AtGames Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player if you want to test it out.
The "TOOLS" folder just has software for adding artwork to any added roms if wanted. Also, it has software for patching games to create hacks. It also has Genesis screenshot thumbnail art. This folder DOES NOT have to go on your SD card.

BOTH  the "GAME" and "TECTOY" folders and their contents MUST be placed on the root of a compatible 2-4GB SD Card. 

You can still run games with art thru the SD Card game list/game folder just like before, You retain everything. Neto Loader is an entry/slot in that game list and you load it from there. it has debug mode, Pal and NTSC support, etc. a lot of features, but it has kind of bare bones menu/UI.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bPmva3s9h6YFbFoBQSFuB8M7q9qWwk6v

Edited by Draxxon