IGNORED

Season 9 ~ Gold Medal Bracket

Vocelli

You know CB coming up again made me think back to my score and how you said it wasn't possible back then because the computer had such a low score.   I tested the cart again and yep, the computer always auto fires non-stop until it eventually runs out of bombs.  I tested it with my Harmony cart, a real CB cart, paddles being plugged in, no paddles being plugged in, and all had the same result.  My 2600 isn't anything special, it's a vader that's been S-video modded, but that's it.  I have no explanation for this.

• Like 1

It could be any number of things, tbh. Heck, you may have inadvertently hit the game select switch. I know I've done that myself quite a few times when grinding on a game that I'm constantly resetting (and CB is most certainly one of them LOL). IIRC, I never said such a disparate score was impossible, though, merely that it was quite extraordinary ... unique, if you will, and would have most certainly destroyed any sort of world record for a blowout on game 1 vs. the CPU by a lot. I'm sure it might be possible ... I've just never seen anyone come remotely close to it.

Edited by ZilchSr

2 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

It could be any number of things, tbh. Heck, you may have inadvertently hit the game select switch. I know I've done that myself quite a few times when grinding on a game that I'm constantly resetting (and CB is most certainly one of them LOL). IIRC, I never said such a disparate score was impossible, though, merely that it was quite extraordinary ... unique, if you will, and would have most certainly destroyed any sort of world record for a blowout on game 1 vs. the CPU by a lot. I'm sure it might be possible ... I've just never seen anyone come remotely close to it.

Oh there's something wrong with my system.  That behavior isn't normal from what I understand.

20 hours ago, Tempest said:

Oh there's something wrong with my system.  That behavior isn't normal from what I understand.

I've been through a couple hundred 2600 carts the last few years, and Canyon Bomber has been the only one so far that has acted "unfixably glitchy".

When I played the submarine game for a score a couple years ago, the game wouldn't display properly.

I had two hard-copies, and a Harmony, they all came up wavy and shadowy, playable but barely.

When the game came up for the HSC, I actually expected more of the same, but(with me having made no system changes)now both carts and the Harmony display fine...

Likely not even possible, but I'm thinking somehow the cart itself has "gremlins" or something...

Reiterating-I HAVE seen a Canyon Bomber cart be wonky, with every other game being just fine, still scratching my head.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

I've been through a couple hundred 2600 carts the last few years, and Canyon Bomber has been the only one so far that has acted "unfixably glitchy".

When I played the submarine game for a score a couple years ago, the game wouldn't display properly.

I had two hard-copies, and a Harmony, they all came up wavy and shadowy, playable but barely.

When the game came up for the HSC, I actually expected more of the same, but(with me having made no system changes)now both carts and the Harmony display fine...

Likely not even possible, but I'm thinking somehow the cart itself has "gremlins" or something...

Reiterating-I HAVE seen a Canyon Bomber cart be wonky, with every other game being just fine, still scratching my head.

Maybe the code is picky about the type of system it runs on? 

• Like 1

I think I may have found the culprit. Unlike most other games, difficulty A makes Canyon Bomber *easier*, and will most certainly yield scores that are 2, 3, or even 10 times the CPU score. I have about 10 different Atari 2600 consoles, including a heavy sixer, light sixer, 4 switch woody, and a few Vaders. At least one difficulty switch on HALF of them are malfunctioning, meaning, they are stuck in either the A position or the B position. So even if I change the switch position, for example, from A to B, the switch will remain in the B position, but the game will still play as if it were in the A position. This is most likely why what happened in your game happened: an inadvertent difficulty switch setting registering as A. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, Tempest said:

Maybe the code is picky about the type of system it runs on? 

Yeah, and also referring to Zilch's post below-

That DOES sound like the culprit in this particular case, the A/B switch not properly registering, but I still think, like Tempest said, there's something "odd" about the coding on this game.

The only difference I can think of for mine working/not working is that I changed power outlets, but that surely can't be the issue...

Or can it?

:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldManG said:

Congratulation to Garrett on winning the Gold Metal Bracket.

Very strong competitor!  Well deserved win!!!

Small Improvements

H.E.R.O. - 182,510

Canyon Bomber - 1,367

HERO_1Life_182,510.JPG

CanyonBomber_1,367.JPG

Thank you, OldManG! This final round required every ounce of my A-game, a bit more time than usual, a couple of panic-borne PBs, *and* a whole lot of luck! This could have gone either way. Thank *you* for being a true, tough competitor. You personally have made this an honor!

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 5

Definitely two of the very best!!!

Also, pretty evident during the course of this season, a couple of really genuine "Good Guys"!!!

To be honest, I'd have actually put my money on this being Zilch's year(Sorry, OMG!)-he really came in on fire, already on a high-level of enthusiasm, and when you get to a certain level of skill that matters a lot!

BUT!

(Sorry, Zilch...)

I kinda thought he'd win the overall by a little higher number, so OMG wasn't backing down a bit!!!

:D

Congrats to Everyone, particularly you Gold Folks, I've "watched the scoreboard" for several years now, and many of you pushed games farther than I'd have thought possible!!!

Thanks Everyone!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Definitely two of the very best!!!

Also, pretty evident during the course of this season, a couple of really genuine "Good Guys"!!!

To be honest, I'd have actually put my money on this being Zilch's year(Sorry, OMG!)-he really came in on fire, already on a high-level of enthusiasm, and when you get to a certain level of skill that matters a lot!

BUT!

(Sorry, Zilch...)

I kinda thought he'd win the overall by a little higher number, so OMG wasn't backing down a bit!!!

:D

Congrats to Everyone, particularly you Gold Folks, I've "watched the scoreboard" for several years now, and many of you pushed games farther than I'd have thought possible!!!

Thanks Everyone!!!

Thank *you*, Poco! I'll be quite frank, though (and you already know I feel this way) ... Overall, OMG is just the better player. I simply got lucky with game draws and time, and is the sole reason for the results. Don't get me wrong... ILL TAKE IT LOL! Sure, there are many games that others have dismantled in the past, and I can dismantle them a bit further, but OMG is a trailblazer who dismantles games that *nobody else* has ever dismantled, and does so consistently and thoroughly. He is the only one I've ever seen that possesses such a gift. It's a humbling honor to even be compared to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2