IGNORED

What systems do you not want to admit when emulation is actually better?

seastalker

On 5/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

No, I meant - it would be nice if someone could code an emulator to work with the original glasses, or some kind of substitute for the original glasses, so I don't have to use a real console.

Also - it would be really great if someone could do that so it would work on modern LCD/OLED/LED TVs and monitors as opposed to needing a CRT.

also - I bought a pair of wired "standard" pre-2000 sterescopic classes that were sold as supposedly working. They don't. they woudl phase in and out of the effect working because the refresh cycle wasn't lining up.

I came across something that could be used in MAME, a lay file that does a double display for those types of glasses.

I never actually tried it but thought it could lead to something usefull...

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/3492

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, MrMaddog said:

I came across something that could be used in MAME, a lay file that does a double display for those types of glasses.

I never actually tried it but thought it could lead to something usefull...

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/issues/3492

While looking to try to get this working - I actually found that someone implemented a similar technique in Retroarch. They made it a shader, so that it works with 3D TVs that can display Half-SBS (side by side) content. After a bit of tweaking, I got it working - and I tell you, it actually works better than the original Hardware on a CRT. The 3D effect is perfect.

So for anyone who wants to try this you need:

1. A recent version of RetroArch, either for Windows, or RetroPie.

2. a 3D capable TV that can display Half-SBS content, and compatible glasses for your TV.

3. Sega Master System 3D roms.

Here's how I got it set up: I had to download the latest Windows Version of Retroarch to get the Shader files for "Sterescopic-3d". I then copied that entire folder over to the shaders folder on my Retropie 4.5 rig.

My 3DTV is a 2009 Mitsubishi 65737 DLP, these settings should work with any Mitsu 3D DLP from 2009-2013. I'm using Optoma DLP Link glasses.

Here are the settings in Retroarch you need to set:

Emulator: lr-Picodrive (it doesn't work in Genesis-GX-Plus)

Integer scaling: on.

Shader set to: Shutter to Side-by-side.glsl

Shader Parameters: Zoom: 140, eye distance: 50, eye effect: 1, flicker: 75 (you will likely need to play around with these to get ti set up)

On a retropie on a Pi3B, it helps to turn off billinear filtering and threaded video.