IGNORED

Is It My Disc? Or Is It My Drive?

Magmavision2000

When I try to play a disc game on my 8-bit, I get a "boot error" on my screen. I opened up my floppy drive and everything seemed to be okay. Also, the switches on the back are in the right place. Is my disc bad or is my drive bad?

1 minute ago, xrbrevin said:

first thought it - have you cleaned the drive head with isopropyl alcohol?

I actually did when I opened it up, it didn't seem to do anything unfortunately.

Edited by Magmavision2000

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Also have tried other disks ?

At the moment I only have 2 disks, AtariDOS and Bruce Lee. When I try to use AtariDOS, it takes me to the system check screen, and when I try to play Bruce Lee, I get the "Boot Error".

On 2/9/2020 at 4:40 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

When I try to play a disc game on my 8-bit, I get a "boot error" on my screen. I opened up my floppy drive and everything seemed to be okay. Also, the switches on the back are in the right place. Is my disc bad or is my drive bad?

Getting "BOOT ERROR" means that the computer is communicating with the drive, and the drive is configured for ID #1.

Long pause between each print or "BOOT ERROR" in the 1050 will happen when the drive latch is closed with no disk, or an unreadable disk, and it will be a short pause between each if the drive latch is open.

This also implies that the main electronics and IC's should be mostly good, as CPU, ROM, RAM, RIOT, and WDC pass the poweron self test.

I think you need to get some additional known good disks, and ideally a known good 1050 to compare and/or swap mechs with before we can assume the mechanism or the disks themselves have issues.

• Thanks 1