IGNORED

In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Overrated Video Game System?

1 hour ago, HoshiChiri said:

Personal experience factors in a lot when deciding a system is overrated. I would imagine if we had some Brazilians around, we might have someone commenting on the Master System being overrated.

I didn't mention it , but I feel that way about the Master System. I always heard how fun and great it was. But buy the time I finally got one , I had already played the Genesis for 15 years - so the master system games that I managed to buy (about 15 of them , all USA) didn't do much for me.  But if I'd owned one in the 80's, I'm sure my opinion would be different. I'll stick with the Genesis. 

8 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

I didn't mention it , but I feel that way about the Master System. I always heard how fun and great it was. But buy the time I finally got one , I had already played the Genesis for 15 years - so the master system games that I managed to buy (about 15 of them , all USA) didn't do much for me.  But if I'd owned one in the 80's, I'm sure my opinion would be different. I'll stick with the Genesis. 

The SMS is definitely an acquired taste (the lack of status bars about the playfield in most games bothers me for some reason), but I don't think anyone ever spoke highly about it.  At least not in the US.

The Master System had the best version of Rampage IMO but not much else. A lot of inferior ports that were better on the Genesis such as Outrun. Personally I'd just get a master system converter to save space.

I'll also add to the chorus of the N64 being overrated. I've tried so hard to like it but outside the couple core games that I liked it did nothing for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AtariLeaf said:

A lot of inferior ports that were better on the Genesis

That's a weird thing to say. :?

"The NES had a lot of inferior ports that were better on the Super Nintendo".

Would you have waited 3 years in the hope to play "better" ports, back in the day?

2 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Don't forget the awful controller. I gave up on Mario 64 at one point just because of that, and I'm not even talking about the controller breaking or anything, just being a pain to use.

I wouldn't call it so much as awful, but the top of it would be fair to say poorly thought out with that stick.  To have smooth evenly space circular hard plastic grooves was idiotic.  If you're someone who sweats at all when gaming on the hands and fingers, it effectively turns into a game of trying to hold an ice cube with wet fingers, it's a damn slip n slide.  That drove me nuts, probably why lots of third parties sold textured grips to wrap over the top.

The more I think about it though, outside of vocal Nintendo circles the N64 is fairly underrated as it got a bad wrap for being a big kiddie box which was a falsehood, just as much as it got dinged for having no games other than Nintendo and Rare stuff.  It had games, plenty, sure some were ports, but it did have a good amount of unique stand out titles, or at least as unique as consoles go as they did hit the PC (or came from it first.)  There is plenty of stuff there to like, Japan widens it a bit more translated or not, but I can see going back to it the stick being a problem but that can be addressed.

14 minutes ago, CatPix said:

That's a weird thing to say. :?

"The NES had a lot of inferior ports that were better on the Super Nintendo".

Would you have waited 3 years in the hope to play "better" ports, back in the day?

I'm looking at it from the perspective of a collector today but even back then I was never enamored by the SMS. 

Genesis doesn't have R-Type. :grin:

Also, SMS version arguably better than the TG-16/PC Engine version. FM sound and no vertical scrolling of the playfield.

I've heard some people say they prefer the SMS of Sonic over the Genesis version as well. 

We had the SMS pretty much when released, so have a better appreciation for it and its library than some of you I guess, but the one aspect of that I truly did not like (hated maybe) was its square d-pad. blech   And the little screw in joystick nub didn't really prevent you from accidentally pressing the wrong direction either. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I wouldn't call it so much as awful, but the top of it would be fair to say poorly thought out with that stick.  To have smooth evenly space circular hard plastic grooves was idiotic.  If you're someone who sweats at all when gaming on the hands and fingers, it effectively turns into a game of trying to hold an ice cube with wet fingers, it's a damn slip n slide.  That drove me nuts, probably why lots of third parties sold textured grips to wrap over the top.

That wasn't my main gripe with the N64 controller. My problem was that darn Z trigger button under the controller. It was so sensitive that the slightest touch was registered, and I'm hardly exagerating. Wasn't it an analogue trigger button? I forget... Anyway, moving the central thumbstick without "accidentally" tapping the Z trigger was pretty hard, especially in the heat of the action. That was my experience with Mario 64, at least.

I hate to say this, but, my vote's on the NES.

Don't get me wrong, I love the thing to pieces and I respect it and its legacy. It's just that I'm tired of people near worship it gets/used to get.

There's just something about people trumpeting how it 'saved the industry' that drives me up the wall. The NES only became a huge deal because they had the right stuff at a time when there was no real competition. If another company, say Sega or Atari, beat Nintendo to the punch in 1985, then it would have been them who enjoyed the fame. In fact, this was even one of the reasons for the NES failing in Europe; Why? because Sega

had already released the Master System.

Again, don't take this as confirmation for me hating the NES, I love the thing to no end, and I'm more than happy to collect for it. I just dislike the fanfare it gets. 

</rant>

Edit: Sorry for the essay, I just couldn't summarise my opinion without feeling like I was being ignorant.

Edited by Jumpman1981
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jumpman1981 said:

I hate to say this, but, my vote's on the NES.

Don't get me wrong, I love the thing to pieces and I respect it and its legacy. It's just that I'm tired of people near worship it gets/used to get.

There's just something about people trumpeting how it 'saved the industry' that drives me up the wall. The NES only became a huge deal because they had the right stuff at a time when there was no real competition. If another company, say Sega or Atari, beat Nintendo to the punch in 1985, then it would have been them who enjoyed the fame. In fact, this was even one of the reasons for the NES failing in Europe; Why? because Sega

had already released the Master System.

Again, don't take this as confirmation for me hating the NES, I love the thing to no end, and I'm more than happy to collect for it. I just dislike the fanfare it gets. 

</rant>

Edit: Sorry for the essay, I just couldn't summarise my opinion without feeling like I was being ignorant.

But then you have to credit Nintendo for actually reviving the home video game industry in the US. Some other company could have done it, but it was the NES that did it. It is also true that Nintendo used anti-competitive tactics at the time which helped them to dominate into the early 90s. The NES failed in some other markets such as the UK because computer gaming already took hold there, and then the Master System. Nintendo was too late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CatPix said:

You coud then say the same for the NES or any other console. I don't get it. Any NES game will be inferior to a SNES version.

Not that many games were both on NES and SNES where they're the same game. Usually the SNES version is a sequel or different game in the series such as Contra III or Super Castlevania IV.

The SMS has its fair share of games that are just weaker versions of Genesis games such as Streets of Rage and Altered Beast. It's my understanding that it was marketed as a cheaper alternative to the Genesis outside of the US.

It never was... It was a console of it's own, and here it always was considered as competing with the NES, not as some watered down Megadrive. For this it should have been available at the same time than the Megadrive, which it wasn't; if I recall right, the Megadrive was released in most of Europe in early or late 1990 by this poitn the Master System had been available for 4 years; and likewise there was no Nintendon't adverts and people considered that the Megadrive was the next gen.

The reason for ports of the same game on both system is due to the success of the Master System and also, because playing SMS games on the Game Gear was common. since the Game Gear was avaiable during the Megadrive time all along it was really just a matter of puttign the game in a GG or Master System shell and both would sold.

4 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

That wasn't my main gripe with the N64 controller. My problem was that darn Z trigger button under the controller. It was so sensitive that the slightest touch was registered, and I'm hardly exagerating. Wasn't it an analogue trigger button? I forget... Anyway, moving the central thumbstick without "accidentally" tapping the Z trigger was pretty hard, especially in the heat of the action. That was my experience with Mario 64, at least.

Ahh ok I get ya, and I wish I could remember having that problem, but I've opened up and cleaned enough of them over time to know the answer, it's just a normal button like the rest on the face, nothing special.  My problem with Mario 64 was running along and having the joystick slide off my thumb which ended in many dumb fatalities.  I got to the point after every star or if extended play break in the action now and again to dry it which sucked.

7 hours ago, save2600 said:

Genesis doesn't have R-Type. :grin:

Also, SMS version arguably better than the TG-16/PC Engine version. FM sound and no vertical scrolling of the playfield.

I've heard some people say they prefer the SMS of Sonic over the Genesis version as well. 

We had the SMS pretty much when released, so have a better appreciation for it and its library than some of you I guess, but the one aspect of that I truly did not like (hated maybe) was its square d-pad. blech   And the little screw in joystick nub didn't really prevent you from accidentally pressing the wrong direction either. 

The Genesis didn't have R-type (wish it did..) but they did have Lightening Force and the Thunder force series!!

Edited by skaredmask
  • Like 2

Ok, I'm going to stir up some dust, and it's not exactly a dedicated game system....and this is probably too far back for anyone that grew up on SNES or N64.....

How many of you remember the hype surrounding the IBM PCjr?  that awful P.O.S. that was so bad and buggy that IBM discontinued it within 13 months....but my god, i remember the hype for it was ridiculous...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddhell said:

How many of you remember the hype surrounding the IBM PCjr?  that awful P.O.S. that was so bad and buggy that IBM discontinued it within 13 months....but my god, i remember the hype for it was ridiculous...

Oh yeah, I remember the ads that were everywhere. Our High School even had a bunch of them in a classroom and get this... was for Keyboarding of all things!!   ?

I'd say xbox 360 for me.  Don't get me wrong,its a great system, and I love a wide variety of games on it, but it always just felt, lack luster somehow.

One of my friends was talking about this the other day, you know, you have like 100 games for that system.

Sure I do, I also have around 100 for the original xbox, which I acquired over a five year period (instead of over 10 for the 360) and looking back on receipts and such, on average I paid twice as much per game on the original, but more importantly, I really loved all the games on there.  It wasn't like the 360 where I was just buying something to just buy something, hoping it would be good. The real reason I even ended up with a 360 was my xbox literally got played to death, like I played it till it fell apart LOL (not many systems I can say that about, despite modern ones being obviously more fragile) I couldn't just get a new one, and the 360 was supposed to do bc (but never did more than a half assed job of it)

I still play the original more than the 360.  I see it's appeal, and the games are good enough, I just don't see it as the uber leet best evers or whatever.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, zzip said:

For me? Easy- NES!

I never thought I would be bored hanging out with friends playing videogames, but when my friends started getting NESes that's exactly what happened.

Maybe I was at a point in my life where I was too old for games like Super Mario, or maybe because I already had an ST and that made the 8-bit NES feel dated, but I never saw the system as the mind-blowing thing that everyone else seemed to.

That makes no sense. The NES ran circles around the ST when it came to action, scrolling, music, etc. The ST was a low color choppy mess with minimal audio. 

Edited by turboxray
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:04 PM, Tempest said:

As for modern systems, it's not so much that they're overrated, but I find the fact that there's practically no difference between the XBox One and PS4 other than some exclusive games for each system to be disappointing.

That's the thing with these new systems, which is why I chose the PS4. Systems are defined by their ability to play exclusive games and by their ability to do things better than competing systems. PS4 has very few exclusives and doesn't offer much improvement over the Xbox. Xbox, meanwhile, has even less exclusives than PS4. Everything worth playing on both systems is on PC or PS3, so I could have skipped the PS4 entirely and missed a total of 3 games (Uncharted, Uncharted, and Spider-Man. Still have not played Spider-Man, and I find myself not even wanting to bother anymore).

I regret buying it on (Japanese) launch day just for MGS V, because that was announced for PC less than 2 weeks later. I figured I would keep it for exclusives, but those never came. I will admit that it does become useful because of Steam's region lock on very rare occasions. I would never have played the excellent Valkyria Chronicles without my PS4 because I can't buy it (or Sega games in general, or Metal Gear Rising, which I thankfully bought when I was still living in the USA) here in Japan on Steam... but I could have gotten it for my PS3 and I did eventually get the Switch version, as well.

SNES or PS2 probably gets second place, though, only because Steam isn't a video game system.

• Like 1