Magmavision2000

In Your Opinion, What Is The Most Overrated Video Game System?

With Nintendo consoles, it really splits into two camps in the N64-and-later timeframe: either you love the first party library and therefore love the system, or you don't love the first-party library and therefore it sucks because third party support has been lacking (comparatively to the PlayStation and Xbox) for going on 20 years. 

Personally, I love first-party Nintendo games all across the ages. Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Tennis, Zelda OoT and Majora's Mask, and Rare's games make an N64 with a memory expansion and a really great controller worth owning. That's true of the GameCube, Wii, and WIi U for me (though we just have a GC-backwards compatible Wii to play GC games). The Switch is starting to buck the trend, but still the first-party library is the best reason to have one. 

On the NES and SNES things are different because third-party support was so strong. You're not limited just to Nintendo's first-party library, but those systems excel based on the strength of what Nintendo could do. 

The only console that has sold really well that I don't particularly care for is the DS family (including 3DS and New 3DS). Maybe I'm just over handheld games (I only ever play the Switch on my TV, even, and I have very little installed on my phone), but I never really got drawn into that generation. The GBA was fantastic in the AGS-101 form. From a hardware perspective, the DS Lite is my favorite Game Boy, though, but I never really got into that system's library...just the GBA support. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

With Nintendo consoles, it really splits into two camps in the N64-and-later timeframe: either you love the first party library and therefore love the system, or you don't love the first-party library and therefore it sucks

The only console that has sold really well that I don't particularly care for is the DS family (including 3DS and New 3DS). Maybe I'm just over handheld games (I only ever play the Switch on my TV, even, and I have very little installed on my phone), but I never really got drawn into that generation. The GBA was fantastic in the AGS-101 form. From a hardware perspective, the DS Lite is my favorite Game Boy, though, but I never really got into that system's library...just the GBA support. 

You pretty much nailed it on the post-SNES era up to date, and kind of even still to a lesser degree.  If you do like them or the games they lock down exclusive, you'll find in general plenty enough, more than enough games to hold one normal person over for an entire generation.  People here seem to have selective memory thinking it's normal for people to own like 50+ games for a system, and it's not.

And I feel you on the handheld front.  GB the entire line was better for me.  I've got a New3DS in mothball ready to be sold because I got fed up with it in the last couple of years barely bought stuff as little was appealing and what was got tired quick as enough were ports/conversions anyway.  DS though, you're right on the form factor, but wrong on the quality.  They never really bothered deeply with 3D on on it despite being N64-ish capable, it's more like a dual screen extension of what GBA was pulling off, and often that dual part wasn't play but inventory, maps, other making it easy stuff.  I see the DS being very GBA-like friendly, it's why when I found one last year I kept it around and got a few games again for it as the magic is still there.  3DS though, it runs amazing, great looking stuff, but it got thin on fun, not sure why.