IGNORED

Differences btwn TI99/4 expansion box and TI expansion box?

hhos

I see some mechanical difference on the back of the units.  The 99/4 attempts to restrict any external connection to an edge card, or at least an extension to the outside before going to something else.  Are there any other differences?

HH
The power switch and fuse are different.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I guess I didn't make my question clear.  Sorry about that.  The mechanical difference on the back of the 99/4 unit might interfere with the use of some boards, which is why I mentioned it.  Do those fuses have different capacities, or are they just different form factors?  Did they change the power switch because the older one was unreliable?  Is the power supply the same, or is one heavier than the other?  What I want to ascertain is, will all the same peripheral hardware work in both units?  If you plug a Geneve in the 99/4 PEB will it work just the same as if it was plugged into the TI PEB?  Will the schematics for one also apply to the other without any changes? (I have only found one set of schematics on-line for the PEB)  Are the PC board layouts the same?  Can the fire hose cables be swapped between them and both units will still work?  In short, if I'm not too late for that, are there any substantive differences?

Thanks,

HH

OK.  That's pretty much the what I was expecting the case to be.  Thank you.  I'm trying to get another PEB to tinker with so I don't have to put the one I have at risk.  If I get a /4 and find any further significant differences I'll post them here.

HH

• Like 1

The later version with the rocker switch was initially for the International market, as the cover on the back fuse could be turned to select the input voltage. This made it possible to change things without the major pain of opening the power supply section to move a couple of wires on one of the terminal blocks. Opening the box was the only way to change the input voltage on the original (push button) version, but then there was no way to tell fron the outside that it had been modified. The card cage is also taller on the earlier boxes, but that doesn't prevent any PEB cards from being used.

• Like 4