IGNORED

Help: Does your NTSC television fully display my '2600 game?

Dionoid

Hi, I've started working on a new game for the Atari 2600 that uses 206 scanlines of visible display (instead of the traditionally recommended 192).

I know that most CRT televisions can display more than 192 lines, so I've increased the visible screen by both decreasing the scanlines for Vertical-Blank (start of display) and Overscan (end of display). I've been playing around with the display, which now looks fine on my European PAL CRT, but I really like to know if this also works on NTSC televisions.

So, if you have an NTSC Atari 2600 and CRT television, and also own a Harmony cartridge, you could help me out:

• I've attached 3 NTSC versions of my work-in-progress game (note that I probably shouldn't call it a game, as it's not playable)
  • I'd like to know which of these 3 versions (40, 44 or 48) displays fully on your CRT, and which one has the most equally divided margins.
    Note that for an optimal display, both the big text at the top (spelling FOOL'S) and the score-bar at the bottom should be fully readable (see screenshot below)
    A photo of your display would be appreciated, but not required (just tell me which version looks best on your display, assuming at least one of these versions displays fully on your CRT)
    Also let me know if none of these versions display correctly.
  • Also, when you press the fire button on the title screen, does the circular-wipe effect (a.k.a. iris shot) shows without any screen rolling?

fools_gold_margins.thumb.jpg.9cbdaa94c279c4e9397e34499ec5cefb.jpg

Thanks for the help !!!

• Like 6

Version 44 looks best on my CRT (please see each version below). In addition, a don't see any screen roll during the iris shot, but I do notice it, when the initial Fools Gold screen displays.  BTW, I can't wait to see this completed. 

Fools-Gold-40

F_G 40.jpg

Fools-Gold-44

F_G 44.jpg

Fools-Gold-48

F_G 48.jpg

• Like 2

@Trebor Thanks for the link to the 'Testing CRT Screen Size' page by Thomas Jentzsch. I actually searched the AA forum for information before, but this specific page didn't came up in the results. I have to improve my AtariAge Search-Fu ?

Anyway, this is good information! From Thomas' results, it seems 206 visible scanlines should be well acceptable for almost all TVs. 

@easmith @sramirez2008 Thanks for your responses; I really appreciate it. It is good to know that both your results were similar.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Your welcome. I assume Lode Runner is the inspiration for this game?  One of my favorites, can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Lode Runner is also one of my favorite games on the Commodore 64! I wanted to port this game to the '2600 for a long time :-)

I'm currently working on implementing the guard AI, based on code from this book:

LR_Language_C_front.thumb.jpg.3a309d6b7d34c297cca9ac1498a3f926.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dionoid said:

@Trebor Thanks for the link to the 'Testing CRT Screen Size' page by Thomas Jentzsch. I actually searched the AA forum for information before, but this specific page didn't came up in the results. I have to improve my AtariAge Search-Fu ?

AtariAge needs to improve its AtariAge Search-Fu. :roll: 

• Like 3