IGNORED

Anyone done replacement firmware for Intellivision?

bhall408

There was something called a miniexec.  The reason for it was so homebrewers can distribute their game along with an emulator without having to include the copyrighted exec.  It's not a replacement since any cartridge rom that uses exec features won't work.  There is also a minigrom file that provides an alternate font.

A full replacement exec would be a lot of work since so many of the cartridges are heavily dependent on it.  If someone could rewrite a compatible but improved exec it could be interesting.  It could possibly improve framerates and add new game speeds for the old cartridges.

16 hours ago, mr_me said:

There was something called a miniexec.  The reason for it was so homebrewers can distribute their game along with an emulator without having to include the copyrighted exec.  It's not a replacement since any cartridge rom that uses exec features won't work.  There is also a minigrom file that provides an alternate font.

Thank for pointing that out! (@nanochess did the same on facebook - so thanks to both of you!)

As far as I can tell, those are GPL, but I'll look into it further to see if there are other options.

16 hours ago, mr_me said:

A full replacement exec would be a lot of work since so many of the cartridges are heavily dependent on it.  If someone could rewrite a compatible but improved exec it could be interesting.  It could possibly improve framerates and add new game speeds for the old cartridges.

Based on this...

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=EXEC

It doesn't look *too* daunting to do that (at least for our specific use case). It is mostly the VBL handling portion that looks like it could possibly be scary (and it is the largest as well). The math/sound and other utility routines look fairly straightforward.

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

What's your use case?

An emulator, currently on Android/Amazon/Chromebook and embedded (reference platform is Raspberry Pi4), where it needs to work "out of the box" -- no hunting required for firmware or games -- we have a server side database of games we have permission to include with the app. In the current alpha phase, we support free to play games (ie, free to play indy/homebrew). Later on we'll support/include commercial games.

Some pictures of what we showed at PRGE and CES are here

https://www.instagram.com/markspaceinc/

In the alpha version, we already support Lynx and Vectrex, and we're in the process of adding Coleco, Intellivision and 2600. More to come after that as well.

If you are are a developer, let me know, we have an alpha test program for developers.

We'll be at PRGE with a booth again this August...

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You can look at the programmer's guide "Your Friend the Exec" to find out more.

http://www.intellivisionbrasil.com.br/Hardware_Intellivision1.htm

Thanks - that is helpful!

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

So you don't intend your exec to support the old Mattel cartridges.

The initial/minimal requirement is supporting 3rd party carts & home-brews, but I don't see that goal as mutually exclusive. A functionally equivalent replacement should also be able to support original carts.