IGNORED

Skeet Shoot Atari 2600 Review

Atariperson23

I'm not even going to give this game a full review. That would be hiding the sheer horrendousness of this game. Everything about Skeet Shoot is so horribly flawed that it makes you think what illegal drug Apollo was using. From the primitively awful graphics, Pong-like sound effects, ridiculously boring or ridiculously tedious gameplay, to something that full-on spells "bargain bin", Skeet Shoot is a extremely wretched mess that no person should ever have to experience. The sheer thoughts of playing it makes me almost ashamed to be an Atari 2600 fan. I'm just going to go ahead and give thi s shoddy game a F, and everyone involved with this game should be embarrassed with themselves. I don't care it was released in 1981, I want Ed Salvo to write a written apology to Atari fans for making them spend 40$ on an unplayable game. You should have told Pat Roper not to release the game. It's all Apollo's fault this garbage had to fill up the discount bin. 

Skeet Shoot atari screenshot

I don’t think the game sold for more then $29.99, even at the most upscale and overpriced rip off high end retailers. But that aside, I agree the game (if you can even call it a game) is very bad. But the one unique thing about it, is that it holds the distinction of being the lowest scoring game in the entire 2600 library.

• Like 1

Have any galleries featured Skeet Shoot as a work of art?  (other than the Whitney feature in early '82)  I believe that the game was meant as a new media (at the time) tribute to Antonin Artaud's attempt to produce a work that returned interactive theatre to magic and ritual.  The poor controls and play action of the game actually stem from the way he sought to create a new theatrical language of totem and gesture.  I hope you will play the game again, this time with a more open mind to Salvo's passion for art.  

Computer wallpaper dedicated to the game

skeetshoot.thumb.jpg.775a8913268d9e09963c16c51151e08f.jpg

• Confused 1

Roughly ten years ago, I was visiting Family in another Province. My flight was cancelled due to inclement weather, so I had an extra 24 hours to fill. I stopped by a local thrift shop where I found a small handful of 2600 cartridges, including Skeet Shoot!  

That said, it immediately went into storage with the remainder of my collection, and I have never actually played it -- either on original hardware or in emulation.