IGNORED

RS-232 on a modern PC...well I'll be...

eightbit

About a year ago I built a new PC for my daughter with a budget Gigabyte board (socket 1150) and she recently received a laptop and gave the build back to me. I figured I would use it simply as a spare PC and while cleaning it I noticed a COM header on the board. I did not realize that was there! So, I purchased a cheap ($5) COM port header plate on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EHFV02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured I would try the APE software I had registered 16 years ago with this and an old Atarimax SIO2PC serial adapter. And what do you know, it works perfectly.

I am actually really surprised to see something like this on a new motherboard. I had so many issues over 6 years ago trying to obtain serial port cards with true 16550 UART specifications to get this old SIO device to play nicely with that computer back then...and that was an older Dell machine with no COM ports. 

Maybe RS-232 is making a come back ;)

• Like 3

I agree. But I recall a time around 2014 where I could not find a board that had COM ports at all. I had to first resort to a USB to serial adapter (which did not work with everything and kept changing COM ports to invalid ports like "COM5"), then had to try multiple serial port cards before I found what I needed was a card with a true UART. Then I was fine...until Windows 8 came along and my COM port card became useless with that OS due to lack of drivers.

Fast forward six years later and they are adding COM port headers to modern boards....lol!

• Haha 1