IGNORED

Do all versions of the Atari 2600 consoles use the same TV RF Frequency?

Moonpig

Hi

I have my TV tuned into my Atari JR , SNES & Megadrive & N64 over the RF cable and they all work on the same channel on my TV.  

However I have now 4 Light Sixers and 1 Darth Vader and none of them work , i know it is not the power supply and have tested on my Atari JR .

So was wondering are all 5 consoles broken (seems unlikely) or Does the Woody Sixers use a different frequency on my TV?  so i do need to retune another channel on my TV ?

I am in the UK and these are Pal machines (i assume). 

Thanks 

Edited by Moonpig

I think that in the US there are two possible channels.

However, in the UK there was a free channel (IIRC 38) that all equipment designed to output an RF signal via an RF cable was required to use. So Games consoles & VCR's sold in the UK all output their RF on that one channel which is why the different systems you have all work on the same channel.

For those that are not working they are either broken, NTSC or non UK PAL as there are several different PAL formats. As I recall European PAL uses a different carrier frequency for the audio so if you have one of those you may get video without sound once it is tuned in. However, I am not sure if the non UK PAL formats also used the same broadcast channel (frequency) as in the UK, so if they are non UK PAL units then you may need to re-tune to another channel to use them.  

Edited by Stephen Moss