IGNORED

Xevious crash bug ?

TIX

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone has more info regarding Xevious..

I have recently investigating it for a possible makeover, but every version I (and a friend of mine) tried seemed to be bugged.. :sad:

The game crashes every time, when it gets to the spaceship for the second time.. (even the 5200 version).

We only tried it on emulator, so have you noticed this behavior on real hardware or emu ? or even better do you know of a rock solid version ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIX said:

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone has more info regarding Xevious..

I have recently investigating it for a possible makeover, but every version I (and a friend of mine) tried seemed to be bugged.. :sad:

The game crashes every time, when it gets to the spaceship for the second time.. (even the 5200 version).

We only tried it on emulator, so have you noticed this behavior on real hardware or emu ? or even better do you know of a rock solid version ?

The 8-bit version is a hack/port of the 5200 version.  Which 5200 did you try?  There are several prototypes floating around out there:

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/xevious/xevious.htm

I've never played it long enough (or been good enough) to get to Andor Genesis a second time, might have to try it and see.

9 minutes ago, TIX said:

the one from Atarimania,

set Altirra to warp speed with collisions off, it crashes after the second craft..

That very well could be an emulation bug.  Someone needs to run through this on real hardware.  It is possible that this happens on real hardware too, the game was very close to being complete, but I don't know if it was 100%.

I hacked the 5200 ROM image from Atarimania to stop it reading the PM collision registers and it still crashes at the same point (the phoenix, not the spaceship) on real h/w:

crash.thumb.JPG.3362f6b419f15ecb1b1bdbb279a91d1f.JPG

As there's no warp speed available on real h/w it does take over 11 minutes to get there, so maybe no one's ever got that far. Or perhaps there's a version of the prototype out there without this issue. I see you can buy a 5200 cart of it from the AA store, does anyone know if the ROM image used here was made publicly available?

From the debug log in Altirra it's going out of bounds in a jump table. I imagine it will be tricky to fix given it's OK the first time round.

Xevious_hack.bin

• Like 1

I have four or so different versions of Xevious that I released.  I wonder if the earlier ones do the same thing?  I think someone needs to play through this on real hardware without using any cheats or on an emulator using save states and no cheats.  Who knows what disabling collision and other hacks does to the code?

It looks like a bug to me as you now have it crashing at the same point in 2 different scenarios. In Altirra with collision detection disabled the ROM image is unchanged, the collision detection registers simply don't report collisions. The hack tested on real hardware simply loads a 0 instead of reading the collision register.

10 minutes ago, playsoft said:

It looks like a bug to me as you now have it crashing at the same point in 2 different scenarios. In Altirra with collision detection disabled the ROM image is unchanged, the collision detection registers simply don't report collisions. The hack tested on real hardware simply loads a 0 instead of reading the collision register.

Could be, like I said the game was never released. 

• 6 months later...

OK I'm officially jealous of the new VCS port of Xevious ->  Zeviouz    ?

So since all my projects are on hold, I'll dust of the Xevious hack I started a while ago..

On 2/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, cgfatari79 said:

I tested this version with Altirra 2.90

Left it running for 10 mins on warp speed no crash.

I'm aware of this "no crush" version, but it seems it has another problem,

as @playsoft stated: "It also doesn't seem to work on a 400/800, so presumably it's making use of the extra RAM on a XL/XE"

Anyway I'm going to edit what I can in the crash-able version, hoping that someday in the future a fix will come !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2