IGNORED

.ROM. etc., file use with Respeqt?

YSG2020

I've acquired all these various Atari 8-bit software versions on my PC.  Some are disk images, executables, rom files, cart files, etc.  How can I convert or rename them so they will mount in Respeqt as a disk or executable file cartridge so I can either load them and use them on the Atari computer, and/or copy them to 1050 floppy disks?   Respeqt does not appear to recognize .ROM, .car, or .bin files.  Anything I can do to easily convert or rename these files for use with Respeqt?  Thanks.

Edited by YSG2020

18 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

I've acquired all these various Atari 8-bit software versions on my PC.  Some are disk images, executables, rom files, cart files, etc.  How can I convert or rename them so they will mount in Respeqt as a disk or executable file cartridge so I can either load them and use them on the Atari computer, and/or copy them to 1050 floppy disks?   Respeqt does not appear to recognize .ROM, .car, or .bin files.  Anything I can do to easily convert or rename these files for use with Respeqt?  Thanks.

Short answer, you can’t. These files are not disk images and cannot be loaded through the SIO serial interface. They must be accessed directly from the Atari cartridge slot hardware, as that hardware is mapped directly into the system memory map at a define range of memory addresses. To use .ROM, .car or .bin files you need a cartridge that can load such files and present them to the host Atari. Your options currently are basically the AVG Cart, the Ultimate Cart and the UNO Cart. Not all of these work with all Atari systems (the UNO, for instance, does not work with a 400 or 800). 

As an alternative, nearly all vintage cartridge-based software was either available also as a disk image, or was later hacked to create disk versions. The usual online Atari software repositories should have most or all of what you’re looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 13Leader said:

Is this cart still available?  And where?   Also love new toys!

It is available and still updated, as you can see in this video published two days ago 

Just send a personal message to @tmp, cart's producer.

AVGCart features: 

20 minutes ago, Philsan said:

It is available and still updated, as you can see in this video published two days ago 

Just send a personal message to @tmp, cart's producer.

AVGCart features: 

Looks very cool.  Couple questions.

1-  Ultimate cart has an 'X' reboot option that will restart my 130XE turn off the cart rom and set address space $A000 to $BFFF to ram.   Like if I hold option with no cart in the slot.  I love this and use it all the time.  I hate pulling the Ultimate SD Cartridge out. 

2-  I see it does both .atr disk images and cartridges.  Can you load both at the same time.  Like having Action or Mac65 cart  and some .atr DOS loaded into ram?   I can do this now with my  Ultimate SD Cartridge and RespeQt (or APE or some other disk emulator should do this). 

10 minutes ago, 13Leader said:

Looks very cool.  Couple questions.

1-  Ultimate cart has an 'X' reboot option that will restart my 130XE turn off the cart rom and set address space $A000 to $BFFF to ram.   Like if I hold option with no cart in the slot.  I love this and use it all the time.  I hate pulling the Ultimate SD Cartridge out. 

2-  I see it does both .atr disk images and cartridges.  Can you load both at the same time.  Like having Action or Mac65 cart  and some .atr DOS loaded into ram?   I can do this now with my  Ultimate SD Cartridge and RespeQt (or APE or some other disk emulator should do this). 

It is better to ask to @tmp or wait his reply here.

Anyway,

1. From instructions "<ESC> disables cart and resets Atari": I think it is possible but if it's not possible tmp could add this feature.

2. I don't think it's possible, but again, better ask tmp.

as philsan wrote, esc does the first

atr emulation is just a bonus feature that has a limited compatibility and therefore shouldn't be really taken into account when comparing features

and no, you can't currently use atr and cart emulation at the same time

Being a multicart and not a SIO device, AVGCart ATR compatibility is limited.

But it's a nice bonus because tens of games work (for example Infocom and Adventure International games) and with second hardware button it is possible to swap disks.

For example, it is possible to program in Basic and save files too.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, tmp said:

as philsan wrote, esc does the first

atr emulation is just a bonus feature that has a limited compatibility and therefore shouldn't be really taken into account when comparing features

and no, you can't currently use atr and cart emulation at the same time

Hi @tmp - does the AVG Cart work in a 400 or 800? I know some SD-based carts do not (for instance, the UNO Cart works in my XL machines but does not work in my 800). And what is the cost of this cart?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/278212-avgcart/?do=findComment&comment=4474581

that is my understanding of compatibility, i can't vouch for it since i have only 800xe/xl and nobody confirmed/challenged that yet but due to the form factor, it's more suited for xl/xe(gs) machines (minus 1200xl)

current price is 50 EUR for the cart + 6 EUR shipping

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It will fit the 1200xl just fine if you sand the sides down about 1/2 the thickness of the plastic.  It is a titch too wide is all.  Same with the Side2.  I use one in my 1200xl all the time, a particular one ( i have several ), that I sanded for the purpose.  The same problem with the original 800, surprisingly, just sand the sides a bit to narrow it by the thickness of a quality business card and, you are ... in business.

Best,

Jeff

On 3/7/2020 at 5:29 PM, DrVenkman said:

Hi @tmp - does the AVG Cart work in a 400 or 800? I know some SD-based carts do not (for instance, the UNO Cart works in my XL machines but does not work in my 800). And what is the cost of this cart?

Just out of curiosity I´ve put my AVG Carts (I have two) into my Incognito A800 and set it to be Colleen with 48k RAM. Of course, the lid doesn´t close, but the cart itself fits and works:

a800_avg_01.thumb.jpeg.805121809113d4364a36e57020c16530.jpega800_avg_02.thumb.jpeg.4a404a1d3ccf767b8dfadae89fc7be4a.jpeg

That is the cart with the black buttons. The other cart has white buttons and does not slip in as easy as the other one. And: It doesn´t work at all:

a800_avg_03.thumb.jpeg.23f7b8890c6f4d2077eeae039a8f9893.jpega800_avg_04.thumb.jpeg.35467d95381917929dc60ece822567b1.jpeg

Didn´t fire up my A400, will do that later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skr said:

Just out of curiosity I´ve put my AVG Carts (I have two) into my Incognito A800 and set it to be Colleen with 48k RAM. Of course, the lid doesn´t close, but the cart itself fits and works:

a800_avg_01.thumb.jpeg.805121809113d4364a36e57020c16530.jpega800_avg_02.thumb.jpeg.4a404a1d3ccf767b8dfadae89fc7be4a.jpeg

That is the cart with the black buttons. The other cart has white buttons and does not slip in as easy as the other one. And: It doesn´t work at all:

a800_avg_03.thumb.jpeg.23f7b8890c6f4d2077eeae039a8f9893.jpega800_avg_04.thumb.jpeg.35467d95381917929dc60ece822567b1.jpeg

Didn´t fire up my A400, will do that later.

Nice monitors! ?