IGNORED

New RespwQt Fork

13Leader

We forked the excellent RespeQt Emulator and added a Menu Driven client 8-bit app.   It has similar  functionality as the RCL SpartaDos command line app but runs on any Atari 8-bit DOS.

Features/Menu Options

-List / display slot contents

-Mount disk image to a slot

-Create new disk image

-Un-mount a slot / disk image

-Save disk image

-Swap slots

-Toggle auto commit

-List server host images

-Date / Time set (SpartaDos)

-TL Line toggle (SpartaDos)

Check it out on our GitHub at https://github.com/pjones1063/RespeQt

Installation must be done by compiling the source with the Qt Libraries.

More info about us at https://13leader.net/

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Screenshot3.png

Screenshot4.png

• Like 4

Arg.

This is a very good idea but why did you fork the dead/sleeping RespeQt repository.

jzatarski has no time to accept pull request so the new features are now in my repository (including features and bug fixes from others).

From the version you are based on, several versions have been released (4.1,4.2,4.3) and discussed in several threads on AtariAge

The latest one is 4.3

From your version, there are many enhancements:

- Printer emulation (thanks to JoSch)

- ATX support

- Ability to read/write real protected disks

- others I don't remember immediately (sorry for contributors) and many bug fixes

People now have to choose between these features and your menu driven client app !!!

You should have started from here:

https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt/tree/develop

But maybe it is not too late...

But to finish on a positive note, thank you for your contribution.

Every feature added to RespeQt is welcome.

• Like 5

Hi

Originally the plan was for my own use.  The fork was really to make my own "mess" :)     I noticed in the help the other day a comment about adding an RCL menu in the future.  Since I had the same idea like months ago - I thot I would post something about it and add it to our web-site.    Anyway.  I am very willing to merge my changes into any fork or repository on GitHub  - whoever wants it or finds it useful.  Most of the work was the 6502 assembler as new source anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks Moonsweeper!   I did compile the development fork.  I had to add cups and the qt svg libs but no issues at all after that.  I do like the "disk b' button - cool idea!  Will do some more playing and apply my little change to the RCL command handler.   Should be good fun!    Would it be at all acceptable to push changes to the development fork you have?

Hi Combat Commando ! (just kidding. My alias is ebiguy, not Moonsweeper, as yours is 13Leader, not Combat Commando).

Of course you can push changes but this is done using pull request.

First, you should fork my repository (develop branch), then make your code modification and push your code on that branch in your repo, then ask for a pull request.

I will accept the changes and voila.

I suggest that you change the version to 4.4 to distinguish both versions.

Then you can add the binaries in this thread and if you don't know or can not compile for Windows, I will do it for you so everybody can use your latest version.

• Like 2

Opps.   Sorry 'bout that  and thanks.  I will fork it tonight and apply my stuff this weekend.  I don't do any development in Windows so my binaries are for Linux.  I would think most of the guys here do MS Windows 7 and up?    Not to say that I am unwilling compile it for Windows.  Just not 100%  sure how to get there.    What c++ compiler do you use with qt creator -  MSVC? 32 or 64 bit?  Do you have to  install the whole MSVC Studio IDE or just a compiler?  How do you resolve the endless Windows nightmare of picking the right dll's to package?    Not really jumping on the whole "Windows sucks" bandwagon - I just have always done work in Linux.   oh ..and my 130xe and 1040st - can't forget them  :)

Too many questions about QT creator ;)

I don't remember how I did the setup but it is working and I can build the version for Windows 7 and up with all the needed dll (I hope it still works...).

Take your time to build and test under Linux. No pressure.

Ok  Will do!  Thanks for the collaboration and help!

I did fork the GitHub repo above and I was able to figure out how qt gathers dll's when packaging for Windows.   It has this windeployqt script that does the job somewhat ok (not really about this thread- anyhow). 

I will be back when my source ready and pushed to the new fork :) 

Thanks agani!

Hi

One little issue I noted on Linux was the QHboxLayout manager does not really line up the drive widgets correctly.  I removed the 'blank spacer' dummy widget and set the layout alignment to top.  Also moved some buttons on the drive layout.  Hope this is not an issue.

Attached are screen prints for Linux and Win10:

Capture.PNG

Screenshot from 2020-02-15 14-27-22.png

• Like 1

I pushed my stuff up to the ebiguy fork.  I have never pushed anything up before in GitHub so if it's messed - bad on me ...and I can try again.

The changes are in the development branch in 13leader as well (naturally).  Also attached the 64 bit binaries for both the 'master' and 'development' branches that contain my stuff.   Do you have any plan to merge the changes you have to the master branch (it looks like some are still ongoing in development mode)?   I would think most visitors to the that GitHub repo would not even think to pull (or even look) in the development branch - just like I didn't :(   and the master branch looks the same as jzatarski. 

Anyway.  The attachments are compiled MS Windows binaries in 64bit - it is 2020 after all!  The Windows dll's within the attachments are also 64 bit - unlike the 32bit versions in all of jzatarski Git releases.  So you can't just drop RespeQt.exe into an old folder with 32bit dll's.   Everything needed to run is in the zips.

paul

www.13leader.net

RespeQt-r5-WIN64.zip RespeQt-r5-Develop-WIN64.zip

• Like 5

I merged your pull request.

The build for 32bits windows was mainly motivated by some people here who use an old computer running an old windows version to operate RespeQt.

You will probably see Kyle pops up in this thread asking for his 32bits version of RespeQt...

And explaining that we are in 2020 won't stop him from asking ;)

Edited by ebiguy
  • Like 6

On another note.  I have seen some discussion on doing an R: device to tcp/ip connector within RespeQt.   A.P.E. supports this - kinda and not well (in my opinion at least).  Something similar to the modem emulation in  altirra emulator   Was this ever done?    Maybe this should be asked in another thread? 

Edited by 13Leader

Sure.  I can take a kick at the can.   The tcp socket stuff would be simple to build a bridge to the SIO get/put read/write R: commands.   

The big black hole for me would be the R: handler 850 boot-up / download thing.   Not sure how all that works but if anyone has any insight.   I know the 850 "boots' the R: handler into ram when the device driver is loaded.   That's about all I know.  

So looking at this in more detail and the whole concurrent I/O thing done by the 850 would be a little nasty.  The sioworker and serialportbackend classes will need some big changes to support it.  Seems like this has been discussed before in other threads here and abandoned when folks came to the same realization.   Also the sio control line is not used when handshaking is set to "none".   This would need to be completely removed in RespeQt.  This  would explain why APE does not support any type software handshaking at all.  At least last time I checked :)

I think a better option for people is to buy an 850 interface on ebay and build/buy a null-modem and rs-232-to-usb cable on Amazon.   Then use some type of serial to tcp bridge like the following:

https://github.com/pjones1063/Atari-usbModem

I have also done the same with socat on linux before I developed that usb java thing above. 

I did this some years ago and can tell you that RespeQt and AspeQt work perfect with my 850 (and my 1050 drive as well). 

The 850 does have some strange pin-outs on the rs-232 side but instructions to build a null modem can be found with a google search:  

http://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/null-modem-cable-wiring/

I think I may have even posted in pin-outs on our BBS at some-point.

See ya!

Edited by 13Leader

7 hours ago, 13Leader said:

I think a better option for people is to buy an 850 interface on ebay ...

Yeah. I have an ICD P:R:Connection that I got in a big lot of Atari stuff on eBay about 18 - 19 years ago. I use an Atari Terminal cable and gender changer on the DB25 end to connect to a circa-2002 Lantronix MSS100 Ethernet gateway. That gets my Atari onto my LAN and lets me "dial" retro-BBS sites on the internet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Would it possible to change the Atari Infogrames "belly" logo with real Atari logo or another icon?

Thanks!

RespeQt.thumb.png.25c93434704fbed9c32ee5039b31ad2c.png

That would be a simple one!  Alot less then rewriting the SioWorker backend.    Just update the icon in QT Designer.  I am sure  ebiguy can or myself - if we can get another icon. 

Screenshot from 2020-02-20 16-27-59.png

• Like 2