IGNORED

Famicom Disk System collectors (FDS) - anyone else collecting these? (Official Thread for FDS)?

c0op3r

So I recently got into collecting Famicom Disk System games - I told myself the drives are cheap enough why not get one if nothing else its a neat curiosity (first possible mistake).  I was using a Famicom AV unit anyway (modded with NESRGB & NESRGB-IGR) so adding the FDS was easy.  I ordered one from an eBay seller in Japan, I received it it was in nice shape and sold as recently services and included an extra belt, I thin I order a game or two at the same time (its become a blur).

So I started doing google searches to learn about the machine/system and watching videos, and got more and more interested in the odd add-on that we never got here in the US.

Here are some interesting links I found about the FDS:

famicomdisksystem.com/

famicomworld.com

Famicom Disk System - Gaming Historian

Nintendo Famicom Disk System - Buying Guide - MetalJesusRocks

There are of course many many others, if you do a search but you get the idea.

I then searched Facebook cause everything has a group there, but shockingly I did not find a group for the FDS there, so I started one - if anyone is interested here is the link: FB Group Famicom Disk System Collectors - there is only a few members so far, but you never know, (please note I have never run a group on Fb so dont expect much).

So to continue the story I ended up order some more games and I decided I only wanted complete and original copies, so I was buying BOXED games. If you are reading this and are not an FDS person some games received a commercial release in a sealed box, with a manual and the disk with a printed color label.  But as I started to look at the games, some of the ones I was interested in were never released as a BOXED game and were only release from the Famicom Disk System Disk Writer Kiosk.  Again for those of you that might not know there was a system that wrote FDS disk, this did many things (mainly cheaper) but you can watch the above Gaming Historian for a better explanation than I could ever do here.

A lot of these Kiosk games never had a sleeve, you would get the game written on your disk and if you paid something like another dollar you got an Instruction Sheet and a Disk Label, so anyway this would never work with my OCD, they needed to have a sleeve to look like it was a real release and so I organize them correctly (Cooper - rocks back and forth, muttering 'must organize games, must organize games').

So I enlisted a friend to make me a template and I used that to make my own Sleeves, here is a link to a folder on my web server with those, feel free to use them as you would like.

Famicom PDF Sleeve(s)

So where am I now?  Well I am at about ~60 games, and a few neat accessories, here is a couple photos (Below), I would love to hear from other FDS enthusiast, so Please post your collections and comments here.

Famicom DIsk System Boxed Games.jpg

Famicom Kiosk Storage Case 2.jpg

Famicom Kiosk Storage Case open.jpg

Famicom Kiosk Storage Case with Games and Sleeve.jpg

Famicom Disk System in Cabinet.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

There are some cheap on ebay.  But the belts wear out fast.  And I am no repair expert so hard pass.

I understand - people seem to have an aversion to the FDS and I am not sure if it is all founded in fact.  What I can tell you is mine works perfect, but like I said in the post it had the belt replaced before I purchased it and was sold as test and working.  That said it is working and every game I bought so far was also sold as tested and working and when I received it it was working and has given me no problems so far.

My FDS did come with the power supply but I decided to just use the batteries as it made it much simpler then plugging in the wall wort that is really rated at 100vAC 

Now with all that said there are at lease two other ways to play FDS games with out the physical media:

The FDSstick which uses the RAM adapter part of the FDS system but not the drive, these are super cheap (less than 30$) and loads from a menu.

The other is with an EVERDRIVE N8, I know the games are in the packs for the cart also, I test some of the games I am considering this way before buying them.

At the end of the day I thing the FDS system and games are an interesting collectibles - I like it and its a system with only like 200+ official releases so it not over whelming to collect for.

I don't own a Disk System, but I do play its games via my Power Pak. The Disk System itself is a neat footnote in the overall history of the Famicom, but I'm not sure I can say it's the Famicom's strongest aspect overall. Coming at it from a modern perspective, the add-on was fairly limited in scope given it didn't have the benefits that carts with added chips/processors provided later on. So while it's neat having games on disk along with having built-in saving in a lot of games without the need for a battery, games on it tend to fall into this weird middle area in the Famicom's overall library--most clearly aren't as impressive as carts that came after, but they're still a step above pre-Disk System games, with its added sound channels and greater storage space the disks offered.

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently one of the reasons for the add-on existing was a way to combat a chip shortage that was happening at the time, not to mention it cost less to manufacture the disks as well. Interesting stuff.

I don't know if there's a really good reason for a NES fan to go out of their way to get a Disk System these days, as many of its best games were released on cart later. That said, I do still love checking out some of the games I'm already familiar with. For instance, it's really cool experiencing Zelda II with its gameplay balance tweaks, along with added animation. Castlevania II (aka Dracula II) is another example, with it taking advantage of the Disk System's sound hardware. It's also cool to play the original Super Mario Bros. 2 as opposed to the All-Stars version.

I'm a fan of the look, size and feel of the disks as well. I'm a sucker for add-ons in general (love the Turbo Grafx CD, Sega CD and 32X, for instance), and the Famicom Disk System is really cool to me in that regard. I'll probably buy one eventually to add to the collection, but as far as playing I'm good with the flash cart.

• Like 1

I don't one one either, but I do have the Everdrive N8 so I can use the stuff.  I'll admit as much as I really do enjoy them I never make time and have not in years.  Back in the later 1990s when Nintendo emulation was growing and improving I happened to be friends on irc with the guy who created the .FDS format for emulation purposes and the first FDS emulator FWNES and ended up helping test and round that out for release which was a blast.  That's where I really got introduced to much of the games despite being aware of the hardware and a few of its nice offerings.  But to learn of so many new games, or how we got cut cheap with passwords and lesser audio scores on certain titles not just that third parties did but Nintendo as well was a surprise.

For years I wanted one of the legit consoles and drives, but it just seemed like a burden and hassle more than a good idea.  Between the console itself with stuck on controllers and a tendency to go nicotine yellow, the drive motor and belt problems not to mention magnetic failure of old floppies increasing by the year I just never pulled level to win an ebay auction or take one off a NA or other forum member either.

The unit is fun for the games but a hurdle, and as Austin said some of the best ones got cart releases anyway, but clearly not all.  Konami had some solid titles as did some other companies along with the strange one offs a they had many more companies there that either didn't exist here or were selective on releases.

A piece of advice I'd leave that group of yours open, with it not even readable, it won't be easy to add anyone to the membership.

You can't write over a disk by accident, Nintendo modified the drives to even prevent the drives to write anywhere but in a certain area reserved for save files.

Of course there is always the possibility to buy a disk that was overwritten BITD then the sticker not replaced or lost. But you can also buy a dud, an erased or damaged disk, etc... It's why you should never pay much for a FD, unless you pay for the bits around it (case, insert, extra box, notice, etc...

13 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Where did you get that mini kiosk? 

I bought it from a seller on eBay - but be warned they are not cheap

11 hours ago, Austin said:

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently one of the reasons for the add-on existing was a way to combat a chip shortage that was happening at the time, not to mention it cost less to manufacture the disks as well. Interesting stuff.

I don't know if there's a really good reason for a NES fan to go out of their way to get a Disk System these days, as many of its best games were released on cart later. That said, I do still love checking out some of the games I'm already familiar with. For instance, it's really cool experiencing Zelda II with its gameplay balance tweaks, along with added animation. Castlevania II (aka Dracula II) is another example, with it taking advantage of the Disk System's sound hardware. It's also cool to play the original Super Mario Bros. 2 as opposed to the All-Stars version.

I'm a fan of the look, size and feel of the disks as well. I'm a sucker for add-ons in general (love the Turbo Grafx CD, Sega CD and 32X, for instance), and the Famicom Disk System is really cool to me in that regard. I'll probably buy one eventually to add to the collection, but as far as playing I'm good with the flash cart.

Yes the chip shortage and it was cheaper (for both manufacturer and customer) to have the disk based games, and for a short period of time they were actually larger then cart games(112mbits)

I hear you about the add on's being cool - I think its a neat looking system, also its not a cheap collectible, but compared to say PCE and Saturn games it could be considered cheap.  I only got back in to Classic Machines because of the Evercarts/Flashcarts and not having to buy the expensive games I want to play.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

For years I wanted one of the legit consoles and drives, but it just seemed like a burden and hassle more than a good idea.  Between the console itself with stuck on controllers and a tendency to go nicotine yellow, the drive motor and belt problems not to mention magnetic failure of old floppies increasing by the year I just never pulled level to win an ebay auction or take one off a NA or other forum member either.

The unit is fun for the games but a hurdle, and as Austin said some of the best ones got cart releases anyway, but clearly not all.  Konami had some solid titles as did some other companies along with the strange one offs a they had many more companies there that either didn't exist here or were selective on releases.

I totally agree about the original Famicom being ugly and odd for the American market (RF box, weird channels, permanently attached controllers) And well the yellowing most of the machines of the time did that).  I use an AV Famicom the later version of the Famicom it was a little yellow when I got it but I gave it a 'Retr0brite' and I use the US Dog-Bone Controllers with longer wires.

From the collectors stand point there are also some differences in the games that did get a cart release, ExciteBike as an example had a Vs. mode that the cart did not get, you can also save tracks.

4 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

If I were collecting them for real, I'd be paranoid as obviously the discs can be written over. As it stands, I only have a copy of Zanac, as I'm really in the tank for Compile games.

This is and always has been a problem - because the Kiosk were used to re-write the disk they were not always labeled correctly or some have ugly hand written labels.  This why again I buy tested and working copies of the games I want, but I pay accordingly.  You can get screaming deals if you buy large lots of Famicom Disk from Yahoo Auctions in Japan, but what you get in the bundle will be unknown to you boot them.

3 hours ago, CatPix said:

You can't write over a disk by accident, Nintendo modified the drives to even prevent the drives to write anywhere but in a certain area reserved for save files.

Of course there is always the possibility to buy a disk that was overwritten BITD then the sticker not replaced or lost. But you can also buy a dud, an erased or damaged disk, etc... It's why you should never pay much for a FD, unless you pay for the bits around it (case, insert, extra box, notice, etc...

Correct, and there are instruction out there on how to modify the drive and build a cable to you can write to the disk if you have an FDSstick.  You are totally correct about paying for the 'bits around it' by collecting boxed games I am really paying for the packaging as I could just play the game on the FDSstick or the Evercart, but that is collecting.

I am glad to see a decent discussion on the system and its merits and faults - Thanks guys.

Ahh well similar tastes, while I still own both models the old Action set it back in its original box resting, and I use the same comfy top loader/dogbone style yet for me I have it hidef nes kit modded so I can get all that lovely Famicom and FDS audio along with the use of the everdrive thankfully.  You're on the nose about the differences and that Excitebike game is a good example.  Most would just relate to the more beautiful audio in known quantities like Zelda or Kid Icarus, Metroid, and on the latter two the fact we got boned into a password system and FDS had save slots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh well similar tastes, while I still own both models the old Action set it back in its original box resting, and I use the same comfy top loader/dogbone style yet for me I have it hidef nes kit modded so I can get all that lovely Famicom and FDS audio along with the use of the everdrive thankfully.  You're on the nose about the differences and that Excitebike game is a good example.  Most would just relate to the more beautiful audio in known quantities like Zelda or Kid Icarus, Metroid, and on the latter two the fact we got boned into a password system and FDS had save slots.

I like you have my AV Famicom modded - I went the RGB route - I installed an NESRGB kit (I actually have both the AV Famicom and the Toploader NES both RGB modded, but never use the Toploader).

That is were my 10ft corded Dog-Bones are from.  With the Everdrive N8 Famicom cart I can play all the US games (as well as imports) on the Famicom.

Dont forget that Castivania (I & II) have better audio also.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:18 PM, R.Cade said:

I have about a dozen of them, and most I cannot understand how to play. :)

This leads into my question -- what proportion of the games are reasonably playable by someone who cannot read Japanese?

Obviously RPGs and other text-heavy games are out. 

I found another used one with ram on ebay after I posted the 44 dollar link. It was 26 and 23 shipping with make offer.  I offered 13.  Since it was half of what he asked I did not expect it to be accepted.  Because people usually want as close as possible.  But it was accepted.  Untested but hope it works.  

If now how hard is it to fix?