IGNORED

learning assembler books

hloberg

there is probably 1/2 dozen books in .pdf form floating around the internet that are tutorials on learning TI99 assembler. I now want to learn (actually re-learn) assembler but can't decide which book to use. any suggestions of a book that might have really helped you learn? (post the .pdf if possible)

• Like 1

I suppose it's worth asking where are you starting from? 

1. Do you understand hexadecimal numbers, binary number encoding?

2. Have you code for another CPU in Assembler?

3. Familiar with TI-99 hardware?

My own experience was kind of dive in and learn as I crashed stuffed :)  (nobody died)

2 minutes ago, TheBF said:

I suppose it's worth asking where are you starting from? 

1. Do you understand hexadecimal numbers, binary number encoding?

2. Have you code for another CPU in Assembler?

3. Familiar with TI-99 hardware?

My own experience was kind of dive in and learn as I crashed stuffed :)  (nobody died)

have a TI99, familiar with hex, binary, etc... (got a degree in computer systems) went through most of the red 'learning assembler' book back in school many years ago with a mini-memory cart on a real TI99. now just getting back into the TI99 programming.

• Like 4

Bruce Harrison’s “Art of Assembly” series in MICROpendium is an extensive tutorial on TMS9900 Assembly Language. A digitized and edited version of the series, including seven unpublished articles, is available in The Cyc, which is part of CaDD Electronics’ PC99 suite of TI-99/4A emulator software for Windows (and DOS). The Cyc is worth far more than the $49-dollar price tag for the suite, which comes on DVD.

...lee

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Stewart said:

Bruce Harrison’s “Art of Assembly” series in MICROpendium is an extensive tutorial on TMS9900 Assembly Language. A digitized and edited version of the series, including seven unpublished articles, is available in The Cyc, which is part of CaDD Electronics’ PC99 suite of TI-99/4A emulator software for Windows (and DOS). The Cyc is worth far more than the $49-dollar price tag for the suite, which comes on DVD.

...lee

got it and the Cyc. it so long I didn't want to commit unless I knew it was worth my while. thanks, i'll look into it.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:22 AM, RickyDean said:

I believe this thread is most excellent.  ^^^^^ Many of the books of the era contain boring presentations of the subject with outdated/mind-numbing programming examples. Some argue the texts from the early 80s actually promote bad techniques. Obviously, these texts lack any and all of the lessons learned by programmers over the past 40 years. 

This thread is interactive with many AtariAgers participating in the transfer of knowledge. Do yourself a favor and join the Assembly on the 99/4A thread. You'll be impressed by the information you'll find by reading what's been discussed so far.

• Like 6