IGNORED

Nintendo Play Station Auction

Trinity

Having seen this tour into my town a couple years ago I found it quite fascinating, and the owners were friendly, open and pretty nice going as far as letting people be hands on with it instead of locked in some case like a museum piece.  I've heard of this coming up for quite awhile and I'd love to see where this ends up both dollars and owner if that's ever disclosed.

• Like 1

I seem to recall hearing that someone in Europe offered him over a million and they turned it down (not sure if that's true or not though).  I'm curious as to what they think the actual value is worth.  One of a kind a artifact or not, I can't see it going for more than 250K - 300K max.  

Plus the 20% buyers premium, seems the owner is opting to not eat the 20% auction fee and is making it up front as part of the price of ownership to whoever bids the highest.  I don't know if that's a common practice but I find it fairly interesting so really it's just shy of a quarter million already.

I have a feeling we have seen and touched this item for the last time in a foreseeable future. Even if someone donates it to a museum, they will need to keep it well secured and off hands. Most museums would be hesitant to let visitors inspect and play with $10,000 items, much less $300,000++ items. But yes, Terry is a nice guy who spent a few years now touring gaming expos around the world so most people who are fascinated with the console had a chance to see it.

From a historical point of view, the console should probably belong to a Japanese gaming museum since it was a failed co-op between two Japanese companies.

I actually do hope it's one of the two who had a hand in it.

HA has some back story on it, but not all the details.  The thing is and I've wondered for years now, who truly legally, if they decided to get all legal up in its business, owns this?  Is this a Nintendo piece of hardware or Sony, or co-owned?  Was this legitimately signed off and given to the man who left it behind when that business got liquidated and it found its way to Terry?  Or was this a loaner that was never pursued for return?  Is this something that could fall into the lines of those media stories of a stolen car from 1970 popping up in various others hands and the elderly owner demands it back and gets it because he has the title?  I mean in reality this should fall into the same sketchy scope that prototypes do, stolen/misappropriated loaned/lost goods that someone pays for and then thinks they own the game code on it when it was never legally up for sale technically.  No, I don't think Nintendo or Sony would pursue action, but it would be fascinating if they could.  Maybe they are after it as the high bidders?  I'd personally love it if Nintendo did, only because they love to publicly display their heritage and odd ball stand outs at their public stores behind some thick glass, sometimes in working order no less.  It would be a trip if this ended up at the Nintendo Store in NYC or in Japan for people to enjoy for decades to come.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

I have a feeling we have seen and touched this item for the last time in a foreseeable future. Even if someone donates it to a museum, they will need to keep it well secured and off hands. Most museums would be hesitant to let visitors inspect and play with $10,000 items, much less $300,000++ items.

I formerly worked in an institution that had a single item worth over $250,000 -- it was an early colour glass-plate negative from about 1913. There are only a handful of examples in Canada. It is very heavy and very fragile. 

Normally, people get to see a modern (digital) print made from the original negative. Someone once received permission to view/handle the original. Literally three staff members stood around her while she examined the original object!    

The question is how much should it be worth to see it? Without disclosing any figures, I know how our deal with Terry looked like in 2018, and we reimbursed him what he asked for, no haggling from us.

Say you run an expo with an entrance fee of $15. If you have the SNES PlayStation on display, would it be worth another $10 in entrance fee? $20? $0? Pay per play?

It's an interesting piece for sure but considering all it can really do is play Super Famicom games and not any PlayStation games the gaming experience would not even be any different than playing on a SNES. Now if Nintendo or Sony had any prototype games that were going to be on the system that would be another thing entirely. 

Maybe we should convince Tommy to buy it.

That said, I think it's basically like the PC Engine's CD games where all it does is add more storage space, not extra processing power like the Sega/Mega-CD, so the most it could do is basically what we have now with the MSU-1 on the SD2SNES. Maybe I'm wrong. Someone who cares more than I do will surely tell me later if I am wrong. Or maybe not.

Edited by Steven Pendleton