IGNORED

Nintendo Play Station Auction

Trinity

On 2/14/2020 at 5:04 AM, Trinity said:

I wonder if the high bidders are Nintendo and Sony. If so,,, GAME ON!!!:lolblue:

I wonder how high it will go.:ponder: So far it's up to $360,000. And still 21 days to go.

29 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Its 280 thousand now.  Anyhow does this thing even work?  I see the snes slot.  But what about cds?  Does it use ps1 cds?

Did they void some of the bidding? I too saw 360 (which with the 20% on top was 432 total really) and now 280 (aka 336) ..... fishy!

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Its 280 thousand now.  Anyhow does this thing even work?  I see the snes slot.  But what about cds?  Does it use ps1 cds?

Someone must have dropped out as it was $350K yesterday.

It plays SNES carts and audio CDs.  There is no other hardware doing anything else, as it is a prototype and no games were made for the CD drive.  If you look at the videos of Ben Heck fixing it, that's pretty much what was extrapolated about the system.

• Like 1

Ben Heck fixed the thing.  According to him and anyone who paid attention at all (not even seeing his repairs) the SNES works as it should, pop a game in, it's fine.  The CD drive he fixed it, it will even read and play an audio cd, and can look for a data disc.  But as they have none, and there may in fact be none anywhere at this rate that exist or that could still be compiled it's basically an optical doorstop.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Ben Heck fixed the thing.  According to him and anyone who paid attention at all (not even seeing his repairs) the SNES works as it should, pop a game in, it's fine.  The CD drive he fixed it, it will even read and play an audio cd, and can look for a data disc.  But as they have none, and there may in fact be none anywhere at this rate that exist or that could still be compiled it's basically an optical doorstop.

Thought I said that 2 posts ago... :)

• Like 1

I just hope it doesn't vanish into someone's collection forever to be forgotten about until someone goes and finds it in an attic in 80 years and it's all mouldy and stuff.

It may or may not have any official software for it, but it is perhaps the single most important console of the 90s.

No Nintendo Play Station = no PlayStation = maybe Sega would have survived longer, maybe no N64 or a radically different one, and the PS2 would not have existed, let alone become the single best selling dedicated video game system ever and put an affordable DVD player into the homes of millions worldwide. Video games are literally in the place they are right now not only because of this system, but BECAUSE this system never made it past prototype phase.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It seemed like the online bidding ended the other day, but there would be another round of live auction on top of that, which might be why the final bid on the site was hidden as soon as the online bidding had ended. No matter if it ended at $230,000 or $360,000 it still is a far cry from the desired $1,000,000 but it goes to tell that Nintendo history is nowhere as interesting as Apple history.