IGNORED

DAI Personal Computer

peterfleeman

Interesting computer.  I get annoyed sometimes when the point of articles (like the Wikipedia article) references how it did X "half a decade" before the Amiga.  One thing that isn't mentioned is the price.  This computer seems to use some custom ASIC's and up to 72KiB of RAM.  What do you think that would have cost in 1980?  ?

Otherwise, I like the design.  I love those "tank looking" computers.

7 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

Interesting computer.  I get annoyed sometimes when the point of articles (like the Wikipedia article) references how it did X "half a decade" before the Amiga.  One thing that isn't mentioned is the price.  This computer seems to use some custom ASIC's and up to 72KiB of RAM.  What do you think that would have cost in 1980?  ?

Otherwise, I like the design.  I love those "tank looking" computers.

I've noticed that before. Some articles are written by people who desperately need their topic of interest to be recognized by the world at large, others are by people who are content to document.

I remember noticing that in a couple articles about pets. The "dog" article is large, but purely concerned with the subject at hand. The "cat" article is similarly large, but spends a lot of words comparing cats to dogs. (Always favorably. I suspect bias.)

There's also articles where someone has clearly driven through and added their personal interest to a related, but distinct, article.

15 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

What do you think that would have cost in 1980?

PCW made a bench test in October 1980 which includes prices:

48k - £795, 32k - £725, 12k - £595, Hardware Maths Module £149. All prices are exclusive of VAT and delivery charges.

https://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/dai/daipcw.html

Some comparisons:

Acorn Atom (July 1980): Kit £120 (8K ROM, 2K RAM), fully expanded £250 (12K RAM)

ZX80 (January 1980): Kit £79.95, assembled £99.95 (1K RAM)

TI-99/4 w/ 14" colour TV (October 1980): £995 incl VAT

Atari 800 (October 1980): ~£800 (anecdotal reference)

Things like the TRS-80 series, PET and of course Apple II would pretty much match or exceed the DAI pricing, and as you can see combined with the obligatory TV, even the early TI-99/4 did. While even £595 was a lot of money in a poor country like the United Kingdom (not meant in a negative way, after all much of the cheap computers eventually emerged from there), it may have proven value for its money for those who could afford it.

• 1 year later...

I owned and still own a DAI 48K machine. Cost 595ukp + 15% VAT in February 1981. Purchased after extensive research at the time into home computers available on the market. Chosen due to its good graphics, proper keyboard. It was a quick machine compared to many, with a semi-compiled BASIC, though I moved on to 8080 assembler after a few months.

Plugged it in over this last weekend, green motherboard power-on LED showed, so assume it still works. But do not have a suitable monitor for screen output. I now need a means of converting the RGB output from the DAI to HDMI into a modern TV.

Still have a cassette tape with some programs on it, so would be fun to see them again. But will have to find a cassette player from somewhere. Not sure if I still own one.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Progress report 1

I bought a suitable RGB to HDMI converter box, made up a cable, and plugged everything up. No smoke so that was good. Practically none of the keyboard keys worked at first, so it needed a liberal dose of switch cleaner in each key switch. After this they sort of worked, but there was a lot of key bounce. It may improve once the excess switch cleaner evaporates. Hardly surprising when the keyboard has not been used for ~35 years.

Anyway it was enough for me to type in a very short BASIC program with FOR NEXT loop, with screen print out of iteration and some maths on it. So the computer and motherboard seem to be working OK.

However my self made cable RGB to SCART is clearly not correct as I have no on screen colour output. So next task is to see if I can locate a pin assignment for this output, and maybe get a new connector cable made up.

• Like 5