IGNORED

800XL keys / keyboard

xrbrevin

Those are the Alps switches, which are a good variant for the 600/800XL. Maybe Best has key caps in stock. Otherwise keep checking ebay or craigslist for 'parts' machines with the Alps switches. That keycap font is unique and not too hard to indentify.  I have a non-working 600XL with an SCCO/Stackpole keyboard that might work. I can test it if you are interested. My guess is it works, but the typing experience is not as good as the Alps.

If there are problems with few keys you can desolder the switch clean it and very carefully fix the position of the contacts. I did that (about 12 keys) and is was very time consuming. But I wanted to keep my only Atari with Alps keyboard. More simple solution is to get another keyboard from a broken Atari XL computer but it'd probably won't be an Alps keyboard. 

Now, taking a keyboard from 600XL with type 2 keyboard, it is not a bad idea, those keyboards are also great.

Edited by manterola

1 hour ago, xrbrevin said:

thanks for the responses

are 600XL and 800XL keyboards interchangeable? ive never tried but the 600XL one looks like it sits taller, i.e. more 'proud' if you know what i mean.

maybe its due to lack of room inside the smaller case?

You're welcome. Yes they are interchangeable. One looks like it sits taller only because the variants keycaps probably have different heights and shape.

Edited by Sugarland