IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew Completed/WIP in 2020

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:58 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks to everyone who had shown interest. There is a few reasons and i guess after seeing that comment it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Basically i have had self doubt about the game, for one my biggest gripe is screen to screen transitions. I really feel it's not much of a platformer and lacks that wow appeal when there is no screen scrolling. I know it's possible however im not sure with the engine i have whether it would work. If i managed to implement the feature there would probably be flicker due to fetching alphadata from other banks. I could probably reduce flicker by loading three or more screens at one given time into RAM but there would probably still be flicker or slowdowns.

The other reason is lack of originality like mentioned, other then level design. It's not a one for one port so kind of bothers me if im just wasting my time creating a subpar game. It's basically a game i had fond memories of and never noticed it's similarities to Super Mario Bros

I just don't know and have self doubts for the reasons i had mentioned above. I may decide to pick it up again although motivation for the project is fairly low at this point. I have a few other projects im having fun with that also lack originality lol. Think that's my problem as i tend to recreate games i have fond memories of.

Anyway thanks for the kind words guys ?

Don't let me dissuade you...  If you and others enjoyed this game and would like to see a port of it, by all means continue with it.  My remarks were more of a commentary on the "copycat software culture" that was prevalent at that time in both the arcade and home video game markets, and how amusing it is to look back at it now through the prism of time.  So don't be so sensitive about it and carry on.  :)

5 minutes ago, NostAlgae37 said:

Don't let me dissuade you...  If you and others enjoyed this game and would like to see a port of it, by all means continue with it.  My remarks were more of a commentary on the "copycat software culture" that was prevalent at that time in both the arcade and home video game markets, and how amusing it is to look back at it now through the prism of time.  So don't be so sensitive about it and carry on.  :)

Too late you blew it!!

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:09 PM, Jinks said:

Too late you blew it!!

I didn't blow anything.  I didn't care about the game in the first place (obviously), just like I'm sure that you wouldn't care about some that I am jazzed about.  But if you still want the programmer to continue working on it, set up a poll or something and see if you can persuade him to continue.  BTW, I'm not exactly a fan of Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest either, but that shouldn't prevent you and the zillions of others who like it from enjoying it wholeheartedly and laughing at my apparent lack of good taste.  Different strokes for different folks, people, otherwise we'd have quite a boring world if we all agreed on absolutely everything (hive-mind thinking).

Edited by NostAlgae37
typo

4 hours ago, CloakeD said:

@ZeroPage HomeBrew,Seen this today not sure if just a test or will turn into a game.

Hi guys, I'm not sure yet either, it's supposed to be a long term game project for many old systems. Of course I would want to finish it, because I'm really fascinated by the 7800, but in reality it takes a lot of energy, time and commitment to finish even a small game alone (and I'm all over the place), so let's see if I can manage to pull of at least one version for starters or if I was completely megalomanic when conceiving the idea.

So far it's been mostly an adventure into learning about graphics modes, technical details, tools and development for a whole bunch of old computers and consoles. Getting the game to the point the 7800 version is now, is the fun part, learning about graphic modes, sprite movement, sprite animation, platform collission, collectable collision, sfx & music (c64, vic-20, plus/4 and 7800 are all at about this point). After that comes a lot of the more (for me at least) boring stuff, game states, bank switching, pal/ntsc compatibility, creating content i.e. level design etc. so it's really easy hitting an inspiration wall at that point. Looking to get a hold of a dragonfly cartridge when it's released though, it really boosts inspiration if you can test your game on real hardware.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 7

On 11/6/2020 at 6:58 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks to everyone who had shown interest. There is a few reasons and i guess after seeing that comment it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Very sorry to hear this. I fully intended to preorder this title.  I hope you'll change your mind at some point - when I first saw the news, I thought uh oh Michael Denio wasn't a fan! At least it wasn't that. 

21 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Hi guys, I'm not sure yet either, it's supposed to be a long term game project for many old systems. Of course I would want to finish it, because I'm really fascinated by the 7800, but in reality it takes a lot of energy, time and commitment to finish even a small game alone (and I'm all over the place), so let's see if I can manage to pull of at least one version for starters or if I was completely megalomanic when conceiving the idea.

So far it's been mostly an adventure into learning about graphics modes, technical details, tools and development for a whole bunch of old computers and consoles. Getting the game to the point the 7800 version is now, is the fun part, learning about graphic modes, sprite movement, sprite animation, platform collission, collectable collision, sfx & music (c64, vic-20, plus/4 and 7800 are all at about this point). After that comes a lot of the more (for me at least) boring stuff, game states, bank switching, pal/ntsc compatibility, creating content i.e. level design etc. so it's really easy hitting an inspiration wall at that point. Looking to get a hold of a dragonfly cartridge when it's released though, it really boosts inspiration if you can test your game on real hardware.

I understand what you mean. Making a game is work. But I like the look of your 7800 version, and the 7800 only has a few platformers. I hope the motivation to make it continues.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Revontuli said:

Dragon's Cache has been announced for pre-order at the AtariAge store!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1238

I was waiting until Albert officially announced this latest set of releases, but barring any odd last-second fix I'm considering the game complete :) 

Move from WIP to Completed:

Congrats! ?

- James

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1