IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew Completed/WIP in 2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 4:57 PM, Trebor said:

That's actually "Captain Comic" based on the MS-DOS game from 1988. ??

The original game seems to be a lame attempt at something in the vein of Super Mario Bros. for the MS-DOS platform?  The character sprite even appears to be a bastardization of the mushroom-enlarged Mario from the Nintendo classic.  I guess that's what passed for originality back in 1988.  :ponder:

7 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Moved to Completed as per this post declaring it finished:

Awesome! Should Millie & Mollie and Dragons Cache move to completed as well? May also be worth updating reference to Popeye as a full game given the good news on that thread. 

Lots of action!

10 minutes ago, electronicsibley said:

Awesome! Should Millie & Mollie and Dragons Cache move to completed as well? May also be worth updating reference to Popeye as a full game given the good news on that thread. 

Lots of action!

The first post has the updated lists. Millie & Mollie is already noted as completed. 

I think Dragon's Cache is still being tweaked and tested.

1 minute ago, Muddyfunster said:

The first post has the updated lists. Millie & Mollie is already noted as completed. 

I think Dragon's Cache is still being tweaked and tested.

Ah, thanks. Something weird going on with my browser. I didn’t see that a moment ago. Carry on everyone. Don’t mind me! ?

• Haha 2

On 10/27/2020 at 1:16 PM, NostAlgae37 said:

The original game seems to be a lame attempt at something in the vein of Super Mario Bros. for the MS-DOS platform?  The character sprite even appears to be a bastardization of the mushroom-enlarged Mario from the Nintendo classic.  I guess that's what passed for originality back in 1988.  :ponder:

Don't stress, downloads have been removed and there wont be any further public releases of this Captain Comic project...

• Sad 5

7 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Don't stress, downloads have been removed and there wont be any further public releases of this Captain Comic project...

It sounds like one person wasn't fond of the original DOS version. Hopefully this wasn't your reason for giving up on it? I for one was looking forward to seeing how it developed.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

It sounds like one person wasn't fond of the original DOS version. Hopefully this wasn't your reason for giving up on it? I for one was looking forward to seeing how it developed.

I agree with Karl, I thought it was a solid start, hopefully you will pick it back up again.

• Like 5

In light of recent feedback and news, it's somewhat ironic to know that Captain Comic received a port to the NES. 

The back of the NES box provided several review quotes of the PC DOS Version:

"Colorful And Well Thought-Out Arcade Style Game." - Game Players

"A Clever Combination Of Fantasy And Puzzle Solving...Once You Try Captain Comic You Will Be Addicted." - PC Resources

"This Is One Experience You Really Wont Want To Miss." - Computing Now!

Certainly your prerogative to discontinue development @TwentySixHundred, looks like we may have missed out on possibly a great addition to the 7800 though.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Thanks for keeping this up. So much easier to keep up with things.

No problem, it really helps me keep track of things for the upcoming Atari Homebrew Awards and in turn helps everyone else not miss any exciting new releases! ?

- James

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

No problem, it really helps me keep track of things for the upcoming Atari Homebrew Awards and in turn helps everyone else not miss any exciting new releases! ?

- James

Please add an award for "most games started but none finished" so I can finally win something. 

• Haha 5

On 11/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, Karl G said:

On 11/3/2020 at 8:56 AM, Muddyfunster said:

I agree with Karl, I thought it was a solid start, hopefully you will pick it back up again.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, Trebor said:

In light of recent feedback and news, it's somewhat ironic to know that Captain Comic received a port to the NES. 

The back of the NES box provided several review quotes of the PC DOS Version:

"Colorful And Well Thought-Out Arcade Style Game." - Game Players

"A Clever Combination Of Fantasy And Puzzle Solving...Once You Try Captain Comic You Will Be Addicted." - PC Resources

"This Is One Experience You Really Wont Want To Miss." - Computing Now!

Certainly your prerogative to discontinue development @TwentySixHundred, looks like we may have missed out on possibly a great addition to the 7800 though.

On 11/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, willbilly said:

Sorry to hear that TSH.  Hope you change your mind someday.

Thanks to everyone who had shown interest. There is a few reasons and i guess after seeing that comment it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Basically i have had self doubt about the game, for one my biggest gripe is screen to screen transitions. I really feel it's not much of a platformer and lacks that wow appeal when there is no screen scrolling. I know it's possible however im not sure with the engine i have whether it would work. If i managed to implement the feature there would probably be flicker due to fetching alphadata from other banks. I could probably reduce flicker by loading three or more screens at one given time into RAM but there would probably still be flicker or slowdowns.

The other reason is lack of originality like mentioned, other then level design. It's not a one for one port so kind of bothers me if im just wasting my time creating a subpar game. It's basically a game i had fond memories of and never noticed it's similarities to Super Mario Bros

I just don't know and have self doubts for the reasons i had mentioned above. I may decide to pick it up again although motivation for the project is fairly low at this point. I have a few other projects im having fun with that also lack originality lol. Think that's my problem as i tend to recreate games i have fond memories of.

Anyway thanks for the kind words guys ?

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 3