IGNORED

Evercade

Valdez76

There is a thread in the Dedicated Systems section but this is fantastic news, imho. Particularly since they have gone beyond the Atari published legacy games to include games by Songbird Production and others. It is a great way to get more exposure for their games (this 17 game cartridge is 1/3 of the price of one of the Songbird game on a Lynx cartridge) as well as support them as it is a fully licensed release.  As a bonus the system allows save states anywhere in the game so Dracula can finally be enjoyed at a slower pace.   

1.       Scrapyard Dog

2.       Basketbrawl

3.       Super Asteroids / Missile Command®

4.       Awesome Golf

5.       Crystal Mines II: Buried Tresure

6.       CyberVirus

7.       Dracula the Undead

8.       Gordo 106

9.       Ishido: The Way of Stones

10.   Jimmy Connors Tennis

11.   Loopz

12.   Malibu Bikini Volleyball

13.   Megapak

14.   Power Factor

15.   Remnant

16.   Super Sqweek

17.   Xump

AtariLynxCollection.jpg

Edited by Matthew Szewczyk
Game list
  • Like 2

I guess that every 17 games are now licensed by Songbird, since Carl acquired rights for a lot of license last year.

My opinion : I have heard of Evercade before but was not interested, now, with those Songbird titles (and especially for post Atari releases), I am really interested.

• Like 2

I don't think all games rights belong to songbirds since they mention other editors on their page, like piko who is not only an active publisher but is also famous for buying a lot of back catalogues.

But I guess only Carl could clear that up :)

For those who wants to know more I'd recommend metal jesus review of the system: 

Edited by LordKraken

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Songbird said:

FYI Songbird is going to carry the Evercade system plus at least the two upcoming Lynx cartridges. ETA is Fall 2020. Interested?...

I'll definitely be buying the Lynx cartridges.  I've been checking Amazon every so often for preorder ever since the Lynx cart was announced a few months ago.  But if Songbird will be carrying them as well, I may just buy from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out about this today, however the Evercade doesn't use FPGAs to emulate Lynx hardware but a linux-based software emulator. Any idea what emulator this is? The reason I found out is that I dusted off my PSPgo and found out Handy (the Lynx emulator) for it hasn't been updated since 0.95.1 (from 2007) and a bunch of other cores (e.g. Mednafen/Beetle Lynx) are basically just Handy. Handy has sound issues and apparently graphics glitches with the game RoadBlasters (and so does Beetle Lynx of couse). 

I'm very much interested in the Evercade especially because of the 2 lynx carts, but if it's just the good ole Lynx with its flaws I may pass.

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Flaws?!

Sorry I meant "Handy" LOL... changed it to Lynx because I was thinking Handy=Lynx LOL

Apparently there has been some unofficial upgrading done by forum members to e.g. include EEPROM support, would be nice to see it officially "revived" 

I'm not an Open Source legal expert but depending on what license Handy is under, if the Evercade people use Handy with modifications they might be required to open-source their emulator as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Collection 2 in particular looks like a great selection! That's most of the stuff that I would recommend a new lynx gamer check out to get a sense of the system and its capabilities.  I guess its all or mostly epyx games.

It really is a tossup between the two, but collection #1 has Scrapyard DogLoopz, and some awesome homebrews. I can't imagine the Lynx without those games.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are curious, here is the development work I did on a number of games appearing in the Lynx #1 Evercade cartridge, in addition to my general role as publisher for these games:

• Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure - designed dozens of new levels, programmed some minor bits of code to support two distinct level sets, extracted and merged music files from original CM2 ROM into CM2:BT ROM
  • CyberVirus - designed all of the levels, coded a significant number of new or redesigned features including stealth armor, health system, and all cheats, added support for storyboard slides
  • Loopz - minor bits of code
  • MegaPak - minor bits of code and graphics (mainly in High Roller mini-game), background graphics for menu system
  • Remnant - designed and programmed the entire game. Wrote the music for it too. :)

Also I picked up rights to various original Lynx games such as Dracula and Ishido: The Way of Stones, and therefore was able to include these on the Evercade cartridge as well. Hoping Lynx fans will enjoy this new collection!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

We will enjoy them.  I am still undecided between what is here and now (Evercade) Vs. the Analogue Pocket....

Keep in mind that the Analogue Pocket is nearly as expensive as a McWill'd Lynx and, as of today, unproven (with some fear by the community that it'll be vapourware). The Evercade, despite its design flaws, is comparatively cheap and available. It'll never be my favourite handheld, but it's appealing on several levels. It'd be a much better deal, though, if they lowered the purchase price of the base unit by a third to a half.

29 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Keep in mind that the Analogue Pocket is nearly as expensive as a McWill'd Lynx and, as of today, unproven (with some fear by the community that it'll be vapourware). The Evercade, despite its design flaws, is comparatively cheap and available. It'll never be my favourite handheld, but it's appealing on several levels. It'd be a much better deal, though, if they lowered the purchase price of the base unit by a third to a half.

I would also recommend the Evercade and I even think it's already an excellent deal at its current price... But are you aware Analogue already released several successful systems? I really don't see which part of the community would fear the Pocket will be vapourware, but I can imagine some MISTer fanboys would spread such a rumor... ?

5 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

t'd be a much better deal, though

5 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

AND, if they make it another color, Charcoal Gray, or black.  Man, I don't like the Evercade's White color at all.  And that racing stripe.  Nope.