IGNORED

What Happened To Laird's Lair?

Kieren finally pissed off enough individuals that he's been called out publicly by tons of people he's burned over the years..   He either removed his YouTube channel (he apparently was stealing content from others in order to make his videos) or it was taken down as it looks like people were copyright striking him.  He's also removed his Twitter account (second time he's done that in the last month), and looks like he may be giving up reign of his toxic Jaguar Sector III Facebook group to Jeffrey from Wave 1 Games (who changed the cover image of the group yesterday, although Kieren is still an admin in the group).

Two relevant links if you want to learn more:

And on Facebook (be sure to read all the comments as well):

..Al

• Like 9

18 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

So I just noticed that Laird didn't post today like he normally does? I checked his channel and it disappeared. What happened? :( 

I've not seen them myself, but allegedly on his Patreon page (which is supposedly still active,as is his FB page?), he states something along the lines of he killed his YT channel as it was being targeted by a legion of trolls. 

By targetted he means various individuals were putting in copyright strikes after discovering he had been using their footage without permission.. 

The Beast 666 now Rogue Trooper account, along with Forza 77, last known as Jane, account, which praised his videos for amazing research,  recommend his books, wished they could of been at a Retro Event where he was doing a guest book signing or talk or were at said events and were used to white Knight Kieren, attack anyone who pointed out Kieren was clueless about what he was talking about, were outted as his sock puppet accounts. 

So in essence he was having 3-way conversations with himself..

Prior to killing said channel, he had changed the thumbs up/thumbs down rating system to a like/dislike system.

Actions of an innocent victim or a man with something very much to hide?

You decide, there's ample evidence to assist that decision. 

I believe by Kieren killing the channel it leaves the door open for an eventual return, where as if YT had killed it, he wouldn't of been able to return? 

Someone can clarify the above i am sure..

On 2/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, neo_rg said:

He destroyed his own channel, deleting your channel kills all the videos, subs, comments.. you name it, it's gone.

He's still got a channel. I stumbled apon it when I was watching the expose video. I think it has some relation to his ebay shop, RetrOriginals.

What he tends to do is, when he is annoyed goes into a sulk and turns all the profile images to a black screen. Or deactivates everything anti-social media, then pops up a week later. His ego won't let him disappear he will bob up like a fatty turd that can't be flushed.

6 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I've heard of Liard's Lair before, but I can't think of what he did. Does anyone mind reminding me what his youtube channel was about?

"His"  ( and i use the term very loosely here) channel consisted of.

Top 50 games for various platforms (using other people's footage it has turned out)

The Story Of..docu-style videos looking at Unreleased hardware etc ( videos consisted of old TV commercials,  press clippings, material from others websites and speculation) 

Book and magazine reviews (including his own)

Walking tours of Retro Events.

Music from Atari systems

Lost Atari system games (usually screens and footage from other systems, press speculation etc)

There was other stuff, but that's the meat and potatoes. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lost Dragon said:

The Story Of..docu-style videos looking at Unreleased hardware etc ( videos consisted of old TV commercials,  press clippings, material from others websites and speculation) 

Alright, now I know who we are talking about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I've heard of Liard's Lair before, but I can't think of what he did. Does anyone mind reminding me what his youtube channel was about?

All retro stuff, mainly Atari (he is obsessed), then he widened to other systems he knew even less about. Long time abuser of forums and actively goes out of his way to torment and put nasty comments on anyone's YTs /

Does a fine line in dubious reviews of books he didn't 'write'. I say write the guy couldn't be called a journalist he even bullied the editor of a uk mag, Retro Gamer into using his stuff. Most of his 'facts' turn out to be inventions of his own imagination. He's been banned here numerous times and elsewhere.

Or he 'reviews' books by other people and gives them a right slate.

Most of his videos are him talking about how much he knows. You know trying to tell the world that he knows everything. He claims to know everything Atari but he really doesn't.

His 'Laird's Lair' thing comes from the fact he claims Scottish ancestry and Laird is a archaic Scottish word meaning 'Lord' which says everything about his ego.

4 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Alright, now I know who we are talking about.

The Atari Story Of..info seemed to come from Curts Museum and other areas when it came to the Super XE system 

He got the tech specs for that wrong and for the Amiga 1200 when he did his Atari Falcon hardware review.

Galahad pulled him up on ST vs Amiga piracy.

He upset the MSX and Neo Geo community as well by not having a clue about the systems covered.

Claimed to know more than Digital Foundry about Blast Processing on the Sega Genesis 

Claimed things like Activision were doing AVP for the Atari 7800, they only held the home computer license at the time and never developed any games using it, laird puts up screen from C64 Aliens:USA as proof.

Thankfully he never covered the Panther console, his article for Pixel Nation Magazine was torn apart by Leonard Tramiel. 

We could be here all night, going back years..

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

All retro stuff, mainly Atari (he is obsessed), then he widened to other systems he knew even less about. Long time abuser of forums and actively goes out of his way to torment and put nasty comments on anyone's YTs /

Does a fine line in dubious reviews of books he didn't 'write'. I say write the guy couldn't be called a journalist he even bullied the editor of a uk mag, Retro Gamer into using his stuff. Most of his 'facts' turn out to be inventions of his own imagination. He's been banned here numerous times and elsewhere.

Or he 'reviews' books by other people and gives them a right slate.

Most of his videos are him talking about how much he knows. You know trying to tell the world that he knows everything. He claims to know everything Atari but he really doesn't.

His 'Laird's Lair' thing comes from the fact he claims Scottish ancestry and Laird is a archaic Scottish word meaning 'Lord' which says everything about his ego.

For years he slagged off :

The NES

Amstrad CPC and GX4000

C64 (Brown and blocky graphics said he).

The Gameboy 

The Game Gear

Then the A to Z guides appear and he's an expert on them..

He had to expand into other formats as to grow a YT channel you need 3 videos a week.

Your soon going to exhaust your resources sticking to just Atari.

Anyone pointing out his claims or research was wrong, your a Troll,  a trouble maker.

interview someone from Atari he had not or make a find he hadn't,  your a threat and your info proves nothing.

Block him on Twitter and your a snowflake. 

The community endured this for years.

But had we known what has come to light from:

Galahad 

Digitiser 2000

RVG

Kim Justice 

Fusion Books 

Octav1us Kitten 

I think most of us would never of danced with him as it were, he needs professional help and we had no idea how badly. 

Makes me uncomfortable just thinking on what's come to light in last 10 days..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

We could be here all night, going back years..

I first me him in 2011? I think at a Retro Event and we all went for a curry. He seemed alright, pretty chilled and we all had a really good time and a laugh. But since then all kinds has happened and he's blanked me since. More and more comes out seems like on a daily basis. He's a fool to himself.

2 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

For years he slagged off :

The NES

Amstrad CPC and GX4000

C64 (Brown and blocky graphics said he).

The Gameboy 

The Game Gear

Yeah, this was glaring to me. At events he would slag the mighty 64 off all day, but then he pumps out cut and paste 'A-Z's of all the systems he hated! I once said how good the Game Gear was and he went on a long one about the Lynx. I like the Lynx but pointing out the better range of titles on the GG set him off to no end.

25 minutes ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

Yeah, this was glaring to me. At events he would slag the mighty 64 off all day, but then he pumps out cut and paste 'A-Z's of all the systems he hated! I once said how good the Game Gear was and he went on a long one about the Lynx. I like the Lynx but pointing out the better range of titles on the GG set him off to no end.

I've had various interactions with him over the years, although I never realized the magnitude of his bad behavior until recently. 

I also had a similar interaction with him in regards to Nintendo. I brought up that the Switch was a massive success for Nintendo, (which it has been by all accounts, easily verifiable data from a 3 second internet search) and he seemed almost offended at the notion that anything could outsell the XB1. Then he posted this:

image.png.777c28e6b41b24c2ed49f7b8df3d4410.png

It's fine to have your preferences and all, but then it devolved into some nonsense about Forza winning one award, so I pointed out that if you're going to measure dicks over awards, then Nintendo's going to clean clocks (to which it suddenly wasn't "relevant to the discussion" because it showed him as being wrong).  Of course, the comment hasn't aged well, now that that Cuphead is on the Switch...and how presently the Switch has sold 4 million more units than the XB1 has, despite being out for a much shorter amount of time.

But that's nothing really, compared to his mountain of bad behavior elsewhere. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

I first me him in 2011? I think at a Retro Event and we all went for a curry. He seemed alright, pretty chilled and we all had a really good time and a laugh. But since then all kinds has happened and he's blanked me since. More and more comes out seems like on a daily basis. He's a fool to himself.

Never met him in real life (only dabbled in conventions,  original Back In Time Live then brief stint of Movie conventions to meet n greet people from Aliens, Sons Of Anarchy,  G.O.T, Predator II, Firefly,Terminator 3 etc, those alone cost a bloody fortune).

Heard stories he is a very different person offline, some said very quiet, others that he liked to dominate the conversation and others, had a few wilder stories.

But since i wasn't there in person myself, NOT my place to say.

When i initially encountered him online, he seemed very passionate about Atari and Retro Gaming in general, quite knowledgeable, but as i soon discovered that knowledge was a collection of other folks experience and finds.

There was always this pressing need to...how's best to say it?

Prove he had made it to someone? 

That he was someone in his field of expertise? 

All the talk of being friends with A to Z of the industry,  how he'd spoken with..from the industry, that was there in the RVG/RG forum days.

But back then it was how he'd written an article on X for likes of Atari User Magazine or Pixel Nation Magazine. 

His condition got a hellva lot worse once he started freelancing for RG magazine.

Hyper sensitive to critiscm (ran to Mods, fellow RG freelancers, magazine editor, Marty Goldberg etc) as soon as you flagged up inaccuracies in articles you'd paid to read.

Mind you, you had same reaction from magazine editor himself whenever you pointed out mistakes in his articles.

Trolling

Hounding people

Trouble maker. 

Kieren wouldn't dare give too much critiscm to other freelancers articles on the official magazine forum, but quite happy to do so on RVG.

Just my take on it, but once Marty Goldberg stepped back from RG magazine and it became apparent the second Atari Inc book was in trouble,  Kieren seemed to want to be seen as THE Atari source.

A situation made worse by RG magazine editor describing him as their resident Atari expert. 

Talk about playing to an ego.

But even that doesn't explain the clashes he's had with the Amiga, SNK, Amstrad CPC, Mega Drive communities. 

I still don't full understand the Vega scandal stuff, but judging by the reactions at the time, he seemed to put himself on a lot of radars.

Horacegate just spins me out..what the long term plan there was with Octav1us is beyond me.

Same applies to Digitiser 2000

Fusion books i just put down to a knee Jerk reaction to Chris Wilkins dropping him.

Looks like i really didn't know Kieren at all.

Why he hasn't just taken a period of absence and gotten professional help is beyond me

All of this could of been avoided by simply admitting his condition was responsible for the behaviour,  seeking forgiveness and a means to control it and prevent further harm.

Now look where we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

Think it was on RVG when he made the comment A8 Panther (Mastertronic)  was so good it made C64 owners jealous. 

Now having been an Atari 800 XL owner, then a C64 owner and owning titles like Panther, Draconus,  Zybex,  Blue Max etc on both, i knew strengths and weakness the same  of games on both systems.

When i pulled him up on the comment, he went off on a tangent about playground wars at his school and i was like, you didn't reference that, you just made an absurd, sweeping statement. 

He'd refuse to believe the SID chip was better for music, where as POKEY was the  more versatile of the 2 chips, both great chips.

Kept calling C64 games blocky, then praise 7800 titles which ran in lower resolutions.

Lynx was always the best handheld (as an owner of Lynx and Game Gear, again his inability to look at systems with any degree of balance used to infuraite me)

Lynx was most powerful,  hang on, subjective,  in some areas yes it was, but Game Gear platform games had a much higher frame rate, machine could put more colours on screen (and yes Kieren, we know titles like Awesome Golf used coding tricks to get more colours on static screens etc) and ran in a higher resolution. 

There was no point trying to discuss or debate with Kieren. 

You always knew how it would end.

Every time we found a new snippet of info on Atari, he would either dispute it or try and go one better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I've had various interactions with him over the years, although I never realized the magnitude of his bad behavior until recently. 

I also had a similar interaction with him in regards to Nintendo. I brought up that the Switch was a massive success for Nintendo, (which it has been by all accounts, easily verifiable data from a 3 second internet search) and he seemed almost offended at the notion that anything could outsell the XB1. Then he posted this:

image.png.777c28e6b41b24c2ed49f7b8df3d4410.png

It's fine to have your preferences and all, but then it devolved into some nonsense about Forza winning one award, so I pointed out that if you're going to measure dicks over awards, then Nintendo's going to clean clocks (to which it suddenly wasn't "relevant to the discussion" because it showed him as being wrong).  Of course, the comment hasn't aged well, now that that Cuphead is on the Switch...and how presently the Switch has sold 4 million more units than the XB1 has, despite being out for a much shorter amount of time.

But that's nothing really, compared to his mountain of bad behavior elsewhere. 

That makes me chuckle.

He used to claim Sony with the PlayStation and casual gaming killed original games.

Yet GTA 3 (from which the template for GTA V and RDR were born from) started life on the PS2.

FORZA was born from M.S needing something on Xbox to match Gran Turismo on PlayStation. 

Switch has been yet another glorious example of why Nintendo is where it is today and i say that firmly as someone who's only dabbled with Nintendo (SNES,N64, G.C, DS,  GB, GBA micro) since loving the G+W era as a kid.

We need strong competition and innovation and Nintendo time and time again catches it's critics unaware.

Not a Zelda fan myself, but could never get into Sega's Story Of Thor either.

Always a Phantasy Star fan

Why does he need to define himself as an Atari fan?

What does that mean exactly?

The Atari systems play host to a multitude of cross platform games.

Atari coin-op titles were converted to more than just Atari computers and consoles.

If he had simply stuck to the above examples of daft behaviour it'd be one thing, but what's come to light is far worse than many of us could ever imagine. 

• Like 1