IGNORED

What Happened To Laird's Lair?

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

You know what people like him don't like at all?  When nobody talks about them and they get completely ignored.

You are right of course. Expect his YT to re-emerge in a couple of days. 

5 minutes ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

You are right of course. Expect his YT to re-emerge in a couple of days. 

Not in the way it was, at least (if he does bring it back). As far as I am aware, once you blow away your account, it's gone for good. No safety "Oops" or "Undo" switch. He would have to start again from the ground up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Austin said:

Not in the way it was, at least (if he does bring it back). As far as I am aware, once you blow away your account, it's gone for good. No safety "Oops" or "Undo" switch. He would have to start again from the ground up.

I really hope that is true. I know he has another account though as I stumbled on it the other day, it was something to do with his RetrOriginals ebay account.

1 hour ago, BubbleBobble77 said:

I really hope that is true. I know he has another account though as I stumbled on it the other day, it was something to do with his RetrOriginals ebay account.

Why did you look for it, and why are you spreading it?

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

Why did you look for it, and why are you spreading it?

What do you mean ? I saw it pop us as a recommended channel for some reason. Look I really don't like the guy. He's a bully he's a fool he's a jerk. I'm not going to not say my bit.

12 hours ago, deepthaw said:

I'd never heard of this guy before all this, but he's causing all this drama over ... what appears to be 8 and 16-bit computer game reviews?

WTF man? 

I wish it was as simple as that.

Read the comments by Chris Wilkins of Retro Fusion Magazine,  Octav1us Kitten or just read Digitiser 2000 statement. 

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/the-latest-retro-gaming-drama-and-my-part-in-it#

Guy just needs professional help.

Edited by Lost Dragon

1 hour ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

What do you mean ? I saw it pop us as a recommended channel for some reason. Look I really don't like the guy. He's a bully he's a fool he's a jerk. I'm not going to not say my bit.

That is not what I meant, every time someone posts a link or a mention of how to find it, his dick grows harder.  I am sure that is clear enough, nothing to do with you.  Ignore this internet entity, who can't even figure out what to call himself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

That is not what I meant, every time someone posts a link or a mention of how to find it, his dick grows harder.  I am sure that is clear enough, nothing to do with you.  Ignore this internet entity, who can't even figure out what to call himself.

Ah right. I do see what you mean now. You mean 'don't fan the flames of a fire, else it won't ever go out'. I couldn't find it when I tried earlier. But I was just pointing out that the likelihood that this is the last of his YT shenanigans is remote.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:05 PM, Galahad said:

In one of his Amiga tomes, he reviewed Agony by Psygnosis.

He then went on to claim that Psygnosis "stole" the box artwork from a Spectrum game called Planet of Death!!

When you look at the Spectrum game in question, they liberally covered the artwork with text.

So rather than officially licence it (which they did) he must be suggesting Psygnosis ripped off the artwork and then presumably redid the artwork to remove all the text!!!

The reality is that Psygnosis licenced it off the author Anthony Roberts, and also paid Roger Dean to provide the Agony logo, the same Roger Dean that did lots of their box art, the same world famous Roger Dean that did Yes album covers.......but sure, Kierens claim that Roger Dean would get involved with actual theft from another artist and put his name to it..........wtf?

I have just submitted a complaint to Amazon.co.uk based on the above issue, for his Amiga A to Z Volume 1 Guide, along with 3 complaints over incorrect and misleading claims found in his A to Z Volume 2 guide for the Atari Jaguar.

It looks like his Volume 2 A to Z Guide for the C64 which featured his review of the Ocean/Imagine version of Victory Road, has already been pulled.

Hopefully these 2 books will soon join it.

Paying customers deserve well researched and written publications, even at this low price and hopefully Amazon will take the issues seriously. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

He then went on to claim that Psygnosis "stole" the box artwork from a Spectrum game called Planet of Death!!

When you look at the Spectrum game in question, they liberally covered the artwork with text.

So rather than officially licence it (which they did) he must be suggesting Psygnosis ripped off the artwork and then presumably redid the artwork to remove all the text!!!

The reality is that Psygnosis licenced it off the author Anthony Roberts, and also paid Roger Dean to provide the Agony logo, the same Roger Dean that did lots of their box art, the same world famous Roger Dean that did Yes album covers.......but sure, Kierens claim that Roger Dean would get involved with actual theft from another artist and put his name to it..........wtf?

I do hope that given the above,  plus his poisonous attacks in that 15 page statement on Chris Wilkins and Octav1us Kitten,  Kieren was a bit cleverer with the rest of his A to Z guides. 

It'd be simply awful if, he had opted to use offensive descriptive text or worse still, picked racist imagery for certain screenshots in his books.

A writer of his experience and calibre would of course avoided such potential hazards, knowing they'd be flagged up along with any misleading information to Amazon in this paid for guides of his.

I'm sure he can sleep safe in the knowledge his deep level of proof reading has left the publications anything but vunerable :-)) 

• Like 1

UPDATE:

The A to Z of Amiga Games, Volume 1 is no longer showing on Amazon.co.uk. 

Looks like Amazon or Kieren pulled it after the Agony art theft issue was highlighted. 

The second book so far to be pulled from sale due to false information. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

UPDATE:

The A to Z of Amiga Games, Volume 1 is no longer showing on Amazon.co.uk. 

Looks like Amazon or Kieren pulled it after the Agony art theft issue was highlighted. 

The second book so far to be pulled from sale due to false information. 

Just highlights his piss poor research into his writing.  It was an incredibly libellous thing he wrote, but didn't think that he should properly research something that serious.

Just boggles the mind. Psygnosis now belonging to Sony, one of the most litigious companies on the planet!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galahad said:

Just highlights his piss poor research into his writing.  It was an incredibly libellous thing he wrote, but didn't think that he should properly research something that serious.

Just boggles the mind. Psygnosis now belonging to Sony, one of the most litigious companies on the planet!!

Reminds me of that conversation in Die Hard 2. He's pissing in someone's pool and he's got no chlorine.

I see there is a New review of The A-Z of Arcade Games: Volume 1. Looks pretty accurate to me.

I notice something of the fish , about one of the glowing 5 star reviews , It is by a guy who is from where? can you guess ? That is right, Luton. Where does the Lard come from you ask? Well, Luton of course.

Kieren's C64 A to Z guide:Volume 2 really highlighted just how useless these publications are to people new to the format.

As well as reviewing a UK version of Victory Road (of which from 2 cancelled versions,  only a loading screen has been recovered) , his review of Operation Thunderbolt is an utter joke.

It starts of with talk of game being based around the real life Operation Thunderbolt, but failed to go into any depth other than it was turned into a film.

Actual event details :Operation Entebbe or Operation Thunderbolt was a successful counter-terrorist hostage-rescue mission carried out by commandos of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) at Entebbe Airport in Uganda on 4 July 1976.

(source:Wikipedia) 

completely ignores the troubled development that blighted the C64 version:

Fails to point out the lack of a cross hair, jerky animation, unresponsive controls etc.

Rewards it an 8/10 score,calling it more impressive than C64 Operation Wolf. 

This isn't your opinion differing from mine Kieren,  which was your defence in your rambling 15 page nonsense statement, it's yet again clear and present evidence your supposed reviews are anything of the sort.

You don't actually play so many of the titles you cover (Victory Road being your biggest gaffe ever), you don't even research background info properly, let alone version specifics :@ 

I suspect you look at a few scores from commercial press from the time on Mobygames and bingo,  instant review.

It's the fact your charging good people, good money, for such awfully written material and unfairly guiding them to try some of the worst experiences on a system that boiled my bodily waste fluids and saw me rating your guides (never touched your compedium books) 1/5 so often. 

They earnt the review scores and comments each and every time.

Victory Road. I'm a fair bit confused here...

• The Lemon listing has a picture of what I assume to be the UK box because it has Imagine emblazoned apon it.
  • The listing also seems to imply UK because publisher shows Imagine.
  • The coder and graphics artist fields have people who worked on other US editions of games- Cabal & Ikari III.

The Disk version you can currently buy on ebay is a big blue box with a sticker with Ikari Warriors Part II printed on it. Seems to have been added at the last moment. They look like US editions, no mention of Imagine just SNK.

Why they are so freely available on UK ebay is also a mystery.

What I assume happened was: The UK team at Ocean/Imagine failed to put anything together in time and Imagine just purchased the US edition for our region ?

Do you have any more information on UK Victory Road, LD?

Op Thunderbolt - I tell you what I think happened. He went clomp clomp clomp to Lemon, clicked on the original glowing review ...

We all know the story there. 

Well that has killed the remaining grains of credibility he may have had.

1 hour ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

Victory Road. I'm a fair bit confused here...

• The Lemon listing has a picture of what I assume to be the UK box because it has Imagine emblazoned apon it.
  • The listing also seems to imply UK because publisher shows Imagine.
  • The coder and graphics artist fields have people who worked on other US editions of games- Cabal & Ikari III.

The Disk version you can currently buy on ebay is a big blue box with a sticker with Ikari Warriors Part II printed on it. Seems to have been added at the last moment. They look like US editions, no mention of Imagine just SNK.

Why they are so freely available on UK ebay is also a mystery.

What I assume happened was: The UK team at Ocean/Imagine failed to put anything together in time and Imagine just purchased the US edition for our region ?

Do you have any more information on UK Victory Road, LD?

Op Thunderbolt - I tell you what I think happened. He went clomp clomp clomp to Lemon, clicked on the original glowing review ...

We all know the story there. 

Well that has killed the remaining grains of credibility he may have had.

Games That Weren't have the full run down on Ocean/Imagine Victory Road:

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/victory-road-uk-version/

whilst i cannot prove it, my gut instinct tells me because i put the above link in my 1 star review of his awful guide at the time and i am listed on the entry as a contributor,  Kieren managed to persuade Amazon.co.uk to pull my review :@ 

Been thinking today about Kieren and his I KNOW CONSIDERABLY MORE THAN U rant, at Julian Rignal over the lack of 7800 coverage in Mean Machines magazine. 

IF as this Mintel report Kieren quoted from Raze Magazine was correct and Atari held 50% of the UK 8 bit console scene at the time, why were we not seeing reports from Gallup saying 2600 and 7800 games were storming the charts? 

I saw them announcing things like Wonder Boy 3 on the Master System had gone straight in at number 14, so if there was such an active Atari 8 bit console user base as Kieren claims,  why wasn't it reflected in actual game sales?

? Please Note : I am not having a go at the Atari consoles. I know some people are sensitive souls. I don't really get on with the 2600, but I have my reasons for this. This post is in response to what has been posted above. ?

Well...

Firstly, I didn't know he had a go a Jaz Rignall. Is there anything online about that ?

?I don't know where that statistic has come from, how reliable it is, if it means by (legacy) systems owned ? 

?I remember when Mean Machines first launched it was off the back of the brand new all arse kicking 16 bit consoles, It's whole intention was to feature the new and shiny, so why would it feature old effectively dead, old 8 bit consoles?

The intention was the look cutting edge and cool to drive sales, after-all !

?At the time CVG still covered 8 bit machines, mainly computers (games were still selling solidly at this point), though to a much lesser extent than it had, it did so for a good while yet.

? Coverage in magazines is very much dictated by what the readers have want buy and what is cool!
The cool systems came in, they were selling, they ended up in CVG and MM.

Then later MM split into the two with the Nintendo and Sega editions.

?And finally ... Magazines tend to review ' New ' games. If there are new games to review. You can't physically buy games that don't exist. 

• The last official game for the 2600 was Klax in 1990.
  • The last game Atari themselves made for the 5200 was Gremlins in 1986.
  • The last game officially released for the 7800 was Sentinel in 1991.
  • Wonder Boy 3 - The Dragon's Trap came out in 1989.
  • Although the Atari Lynx came out in 1989 in North America, It wasn't until 1990 that it came out in Japan & Europe. It's also a 8/16 bit hybrid.

I noted this in my review of his ST Volume 1 A to Z on Amazon.co.uk at the time, but Kieren makes the claim about how Volleyball has been an unpopular sport for games publishers to cover, then proceeds to review Volleyball games in his:

A8 ( volumes 1 and), ST, Lynx,2600, MS,NES etc guides.

And again here :

http://www.roguebison.org/super-volleyball-nec-pc-engine/

(just emailed them to notify them of the current status regarding Kieren in case he looks to them for future work) 

And again Kieren, this isn't simply myself having a different opinion to yours regarding a review score, it's simply YOU making an utter nonsense of yourself. 

You can hardly constantly claim Volleyball gets ignored as a sport and then deliberately choose to highlight Volleyball games per platform, just so you can reuse old review text to cut corners.

As for subject itself :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volleyball_video_games

Edited by Lost Dragon

16 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

? Please Note : I am not having a go at the Atari consoles. I know some people are sensitive souls. I don't really get on with the 2600, but I have my reasons for this. This post is in response to what has been posted above. ?

Well...

Firstly, I didn't know he had a go a Jaz Rignall. Is there anything online about that ?

?I don't know where that statistic has come from, how reliable it is, if it means by (legacy) systems owned ? 

?I remember when Mean Machines first launched it was off the back of the brand new all arse kicking 16 bit consoles, It's whole intention was to feature the new and shiny, so why would it feature old effectively dead, old 8 bit consoles?

The intention was the look cutting edge and cool to drive sales, after-all !

?At the time CVG still covered 8 bit machines, mainly computers (games were still selling solidly at this point), though to a much lesser extent than it had, it did so for a good while yet.

? Coverage in magazines is very much dictated by what the readers have want buy and what is cool!
The cool systems came in, they were selling, they ended up in CVG and MM.

Then later MM split into the two with the Nintendo and Sega editions.

?And finally ... Magazines tend to review ' New ' games. If there are new games to review. You can't physically buy games that don't exist. 

• The last official game for the 2600 was Klax in 1990.
  • The last game Atari themselves made for the 5200 was Gremlins in 1986.
  • The last game officially released for the 7800 was Sentinel in 1991.
  • Wonder Boy 3 - The Dragon's Trap came out in 1989.
  • Although the Atari Lynx came out in 1989 in North America, It wasn't until 1990 that it came out in Japan & Europe. It's also a 8/16 bit hybrid.

There were claims Atari were giving dealerships in the UK a VCS Jr 'Free' with every ST they bought, but i have never seen any proof of this, so salt shakers at the ready.

Ok so on RVG Kieren claimed he always thought Jaz Rignal to be something of a dickhead, but that comment was deleted when Kieren Sulk-Quit RVG forum.

He engaged on Twitter with Jaz proclaiming his expertise far greater than Julians when it came to the 2600/7800 holding 50% of the UK console market and those tweets went in his great Tweet purge.

The claim itself was from Raze Magazine and they didn't actually show the report, as far as i am aware Kieren himself does not have a copy of the report,so it's epic straw clutching. 

Mean Machines explained why they initally covered the Amstrad GX4000 8 bit console:it was new and with likes of Ocean and Titus producing games, they expected advertising revenue from ads placed in the magazine.

As you say,there were no new 2600/7800 titles, so no possible advertising revenue.

Kieren logic went way beyond flawed, into the realms of the absurd.