IGNORED

What Happened To Laird's Lair?

They Jaza Vs Kieren Twitter exchange (Kieren comments deleted by him):

https://mobile.twitter.com/damienmcferran/status/1174263774674640896

None that I can recall. I remember playing the GX4000's few games and feeling very sorry for the system. It was clear that it and its software weren't going to go anywhere other than the bargain bin.

This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists. Learn more

79b9d72180367390e2bc00b782b71da5_bigger.

Yep. That wasn't my decision - I was outvoted by the ad manager and publisher. Fortunately their decision didn't stand for long since it became clear very quickly the GX4000 wasn't going to be a success.

This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists. Learn more

79b9d72180367390e2bc00b782b71da5_bigger.

I'd like to know where your data comes from. That does not tally with our own market research done at the time. According to our research, the market was dominated by Sega and Nintendo, with Atari very much in a distant third place.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Well... Jaz clearly in the right here.

•      I don't know where that 'stat' came from, but it's bollocks.
  • The Amstrad GX4000 featuring was likely a direct result of it being heavily backed by Ocean - Just like the Commodore 64 Games System - Both were bound to go south! Tells you everything; The market had gone almost full tilt into 16 bits by then!
  • Ocean were at the time the biggest publisher in Europe and they brought ad space months and months in advance. They had serious buying power and influence. We all remember those games they advertised that never even made it out, with Ocean not even bothering to pull/replace the copy.
  • It felt odd to me when reading it that an 8 bit system was there at all. Funny that I ended up with one after it was discontinued after a few months - it got put on top the wardrobe when mum wrote to Amstrad because she couldn't buy any games for it for Christmas!
  • I remember everyone talking Sega / Nintendo and absolutely no playground chat of Atari's. You have to acknowledge they were aged systems by then and again my comment about letters pages bares this out.
  • Those magazines sold by the truckload at the time so I would 100% agree with the people who were behind them over some obnoxious tosspot who assumes he's right when clearly he is wrong. Just look at my bullet points about releases for those systems. Even if people HAD those systems in cupboards at the time unless companies were putting out games for them... 
  • Why were no software companies making games for them then? Oh right yeah they moved on to other systems as well just like the players of the time.

It is wonderful to have love for your favourite systems, but even the most ardent Atari fan here in the UK would have to acknowledge the facts and not be blinded by rose tinted glasses.

Edited by Guest
took a Z off Jazz

E.A apparently refused to back both the Amstrad GX4000 and Commodore C64 GS as they were "Too European".

I had to explain the entire magazine adverts are booked months in advance, concept to Kieren, years ago on RVG, as he posted up the magazine advert for Atari Lynx Hellraiser as proof it was a true lost game ?

I had to calmly explain how advertising space was booked months in advance, adverts drawn up when potential formats were very much in the conceptual stage and used examples like: Adam Caveman (C64/A8), The Last Ninja ( System 3 advertised as coming soon on Atari 800/130 XL/XE ) and Jackal (Konami had the A8 version down with the other formats).

Talking of Kieren and his inability to grasp basic concepts, a few other cross platform reviews of his that really used to wind me up in these A to Z guides.

Bionic Commando:The C64 and ZX Spectrum ports were very playable, but the Amstrad CPC version, even being a ZX Spectrum port, had fewer enemies on screen, so far too easy by comparison.

The ST and Amiga versions went the opposite way. Enemies no longer appeared at preset points and there were always new ones parachuting in, so the game never let you catch your breath and was very frustrating.

I think the ST Version even played slightly faster than the Amiga version?

Dragon Breed:Amiga version not only smoother than the ST version, but it was easier to get the Dragons tail in it's mouth, i only ever saw Kieren review the ST and ZX Spectrum versions, but both scored exactly the same, 8/10 and bar the last 3 lines of text, the review text was exactly the same for both.

Point i am making here (again) is when you'd read these reviews Kieren wrote, your beef was NOT you disagreed with his personal thoughts on the game, you knew damn well he had never put the effort in to try different versions and warn buyers of the differences. ?

He moaned he could not understand why Mirrorsoft had licensed the NES Turtles game for conversion to the UK home micros, erm because it had been HUGE on the NES and Mirrorsoft were banking on it bring a UK Xmas number 1 for them?

Probe had been asked to improve apon the NES gameplay...

No fundamental, basic level research attempted, Kieren hated the NES, had not wanted a NES game converted to the ST and he was going to have a sulk with the review, rather than put the effort in to write a balanced review.

That i could excuse if he was just slapping it up on a free to read site, but putting these reviews in paid for guides and having Retro Girl rock up, slap a 5 star review down with comment about how well researched they were...

You bet i was going to combat that on Amazon Kieren, it's blatant manipulation of the entire review system.

I've seen "books" by other people on Amazon who just seem to want to be called an author without giving a moist turd about what is actually in the books. "I'm a published author! See mom and dad? I'm not a total loser! You were wrong! YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:
  • I remember everyone talking Sega / Nintendo and absolutely no playground chat of Atari's. You have to acknowledge they were aged systems by then and again my comment about letters pages bares this out.

It is wonderful to have love for your favourite systems, but even the most ardent Atari fan here in the UK would have to acknowledge the facts and not be blinded by rose tinted glasses.

I know that things were a little different here in the States, but some things were not. Playground talk here was devoid of any mention of Atari in the late 80's and early 90's. Even though I'd grown up playing the 2600, I didn't even know about the existence of Atari systems beyond the 2600 & 800 until one day I saw an ad for the Lynx in a comic book (didn't know or hear about the Atari 7800 at all, as I can recall, apart from a mention in a Sears Christmas catalog in '90 or '91).

The only reason that anyone at school heard about the Atari Jaguar was because I'd discovered it when in 9th grade and put a game review for AvP in the school's newspaper (this wasn't '94 either, so it wasn't a very current review). So yeah, I was an Atari shill BITD, but I always knew that Atari was never in 1st or 2nd place for anything after the 2600 era fizzled out.

• Like 2

Kieren used to keep pumping out the line the ST was still strong here in the UK by the time the Jaguar launched...

And that really took the p#ss. 

How many surviving ST magazines were there and what games were they reviewing? 

ST Format had taken to reviewing Lynx and Jaguar games just to fill it's pages.

You've only to look at quotes from David Braben, Core Design, Bitmap Bros, Virgin,US Gold, Dino Dini, Mev Dinc, Archer McLean (list could go on and on) about how many copies of an ST game they expected to sell or why there would be no ST version. 

It took a letter writing campaign to get Microprose to convert Civilisation to the ST.

Yet Kieren would be the first to moan of Nintendo and revisionist history regarding the UK and the NES...

• Like 1

Aside from me getting a 2600 out of an Argos catalogue in 88- the Atari systems I knew back then were when the Lynx came out and I thought it was good and the buzz over

the ill-fated Panther and then the system that did appear but failed the Jaguar.

Atari didn't seem to hit too hard here in the UK. In the early 80s most people here had tape based computers because the software was much cheaper, then later we all went one or more of SNES AMIGA MEGADRIVE then onto the 32s.

It's a massive shame but to me it feels as if Atari missed the boat here somewhat.

3 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

I've seen "books" by other people on Amazon who just seem to want to be called an author without giving a moist turd about what is actually in the books. "I'm a published author! See mom and dad? I'm not a total loser! You were wrong! YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!"

Could make a case for Kizza being one of these !

15 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

The Physiology i left to my far more intelligent friends from school to study,whilst i went into Engineering, but...

In all the time I knew Kieren on forums etc, the one thing about his personality that really struck me, was his all consuming desire to seemingly prove to someone /everyone he had made it.

People who made it in the entertainment business will often drag out old school reports where a now long since passed old teacher had written they'd never amount to anything or suggested they were consigned to a dead end job for their working lives..

If they could only see them now etc.

KIEREN has walked a slightly different path ;-) but that overwhelming need to show someone he's a big deal has been with him all the way. 

What was one of the sock puppet account claims? 

No one has written as many books about Atari as Kieren? 

That's like saying no one has produced as many rolls of loo paper as Andrex. 

• Like 1

Remembered another early Kieren writing gaffe,where he took a magazine claim at face value and repeated as a factual claim in order to appear the expert.

One of the old ZX Spectrum magazines had claimed Capcom had been so impressed by the Story Boards (Kieren claimed game itself, he struggled to even quote properly back then) that Tiertex had come up with for Strider II,they used that awful game as the basis for their Strider II coin-op. 

Just mentioning as part of establishing how little Kieren behaviour pattern has changed in all these years.

11 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

Aside from me getting a 2600 out of an Argos catalogue in 88- the Atari systems I knew back then were when the Lynx came out and I thought it was good and the buzz over

the ill-fated Panther and then the system that did appear but failed the Jaguar.

Atari didn't seem to hit too hard here in the UK. In the early 80s most people here had tape based computers because the software was much cheaper, then later we all went one or more of SNES AMIGA MEGADRIVE then onto the 32s.

It's a massive shame but to me it feels as if Atari missed the boat here somewhat.

The Atari 8 bit hardware and software was initially far too expensive and Atari refused to accept that, in fact issued statements justifying the high price of the software and their unwillingness to comprise on price.

By the time they did cut prices, it was far too late.

The ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 had made massive inroads. 

Panther was intended to launch alongside Lynx, but Atari UK boss Bob Gleadow explained Atari lacked resources to manage 2 flagship consoles at once, so Panther put back (before ultimately being canned).

• 3 years later...
50 minutes ago, djrodderz said:

Is this guy still firmly under his rock now?

Sadly NO, I still see him pop up everywhere that is game related that he has not already been banned or he has not pissed off enough people yet I suppose, wherever there are people that are gullible or simply haven't caught on to his nonsense and are willing to listen to his B.S., he will never change. Don't think he was ever under a rock, it simply a matter of communities being smart enough to keep him out. Remember, according to him he has never done anything wrong, he is always the victim and it's everyone else that for some no reason he can fathom has turned against him. 🙄At least these are his claims anywhere he can trash talk and cry about the forums and sites that banned him. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...