IGNORED

Should I open and play this sealed copy of Vectron?

I like that people will always be discovering this game for the first time.  There's always hope when playing an underappreciated game that it will turn out to be something special.

Unfortunately, this one is more like an experiment in using the 16 directions on the dial than a real game.  Sure there is some enjoyment to be had from it, but it could use some "quality of life" updates for sure.  Here are my notes I dig up on Vectron whenever this comes up:

The game begs for twin stick control. This would be a fun one to see for Xbox Live or the PSN.

It feels like a sort of design project rather than a playtested game. It manages to use all of the side buttons and the 16 directions, but the gameplay mechanic of not being able to move just stinks. I found myself wondering if I was in "freestyle" or the other movement mode and ended up testing my controllers on other games to make sure my side buttons were working (they were). I can respect what they were trying to do here, but a few simple changes/hacks would really help the game.

1) Play a sound or give me a visual cue when I switch into freestyle. If I know what mode I am in, I can actually plan what to do.

2) Use the upper half of the disk to switch to freestyle

3) Just get rid of the movement limitation completely. Let's try to play with precise & slow free movement and add a game variation that requires switching (or don't because that part is not fun).

4) What should I do when the E-Pak is not reinforced besides wait? This is a bad design choice that the player will lose a life and must avoid yellows. Give me a way out of this no win situation besides waiting for an reinforcement that may never come OR I may not be able to pickup.

There are a lot of suggestions I had once made to make this game more playable.

Yes, a "trainer" mode to allow you to try out higher levels would be nice.  Also a few different control schemes, and a way to know when you're in Freestyle and when you're not.

Obviously, it should be tweaked so the Prizum levels are beatable.  As it is, nobody can clear Level 16 without ROM hacking or some kind of emulator tool to selectively disable collision detection.

I think the game should be remade in 3D on newer consoles, leaving the "base" and Energy Block movement 2-planar while the Nasties move within all 3 dimensions, kind of like how it appears on the box front.  That way, the Nasties don't just move across the screen and wipe out half your base in the space of one second (save for the Sweeps, since that's their intended movement pattern), but instead only destroy a few pieces at a time.  The only consideration would be how your Energy Blasts would connect with the Nasties, unless collisions with the Energy Blasts are somehow done in 2D.

The game would greatly benefit from an interactive tutorial, giving you all the terminology along the way and having you practice moving the Energy Block and shooting at it, and also the behavior of all the different types of Nasties, as well as the E-Paks and what happens when Nasties "pollute" them.

Finally, choose between "Arcade Mode" where you try to survive through all 99 levels as before, or "Trial Mode" where you can start at any level you've reached, and have the maximum number of Energy Blocks for that level and try to clear one level at a time.  Each level would retain a Best Score and Best Time.  Maybe add a 2-player cooperative option where one player moves the Energy Block while the other player fires the V-Gun.

We could also have some fun and put in a hidden feature to slip in "psychotronic" subliminal messages during gameplay in the spirit of the Polybius urban legend.  Make it so it's activated the same way you uncover the "Mark Urbaniec" easter egg message.

• Like 1