IGNORED

Initial Impressions: Atlantis

This game is awesome. It has similar gameplay mechanics as compared to Missile Command, but it has way more charm - imho. I like the speed of the cursor and the option to deploy the sentinel saucer. I wish there had been a co-operative 2 player mode where each player controlled one of the missile towers.

IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_8964.jpg

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 4

The Intellivision version of Atlantis is definitely my favorite.  Dennis Koble's version for the 2600 was the original, but by comparison, itand the Atari 800 conversion, which is virtually identicalfeels like a promising but strangely unfinished game.  With the Intellivision version, Pat Ransil perfected Atlantis through the addition of several new features (night mode, the cross-hair sight, etc.), which really fleshed out the game and made it feel more "complete."

Most of the Atari 2600 conversions that Activision and Imagic released for the Intellivision were direct translations, and in retrospect many of them feel a bit lazy.  In my opinion, Atlantis is a perfect example of how to convert a game to the Intellivision in a way which preserves the gameplay while expanding it in a way that takes full advantage of what the Intellivision could do.  If there is to be a version of Atlantis released for the Amico, I certainly hope that they use the Intellivision version as their starting point—and I agree, it would lend itself very nicely to a co-op mode.

• Like 3

Haven't touched it in years, but I've never been able to get into Intellivision's Atlantis because of the cursor mechanic. Should give it another shot sometime soon as I do want to like the game. Great graphics and totally agree that it feels like a true upgrade and not just another linear port. 

2 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

Most of the Atari 2600 conversions that Activision and Imagic released for the Intellivision were direct translations, and in retrospect many of them feel a bit lazy. 

Totally agree regarding Activision but not so much with Imagic. You mentioned Atlantis but Demon Attack was a completely different game (although I like the 2600 version better) and Dragonfire included archers that shoot arrows when you're crossing the drawbridge. The only other conversion was Fathom and I haven't played either version enough to know if it was a direct translation or not. The other 10 games Imagic released for the Intellivision were original games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cvga said:

Totally agree regarding Activision but not so much with Imagic. You mentioned Atlantis but Demon Attack was a completely different game (although I like the 2600 version better) and Dragonfire included archers that shoot arrows when you're crossing the drawbridge. The only other conversion was Fathom and I haven't played either version enough to know if it was a direct translation or not. The other 10 games Imagic released for the Intellivision were original games.

You're right, now that I think about it some more, Imagic was more creative with their conversions.  I tend to prefer the 2600 versions of their games which also appeared on the Intellivision (Atlantis being the main exception), but at least the Intellivision versions were different.  Imagic's Intellivision exclusives were mostly fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, save2600 said:

Haven't touched it in years, but I've never been able to get into Intellivision's Atlantis because of the cursor mechanic. Should give it another shot sometime soon as I do want to like the game. Great graphics and totally agree that it feels like a true upgrade and not just another linear port. 

I know the disc is a divisive "feature" of the Intellivision, but I couldn't imagine playing this game on a traditional joystick.

• Like 1

We just finished Atlantis in the High Score Competition.  Currently on Lock'n'Chase for another week.  Drop on by.  You can play as much or little as you like.  Just friendly competition used as an excuse to play some games together.

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/128-intellivision-high-score-club/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

Most of the Atari 2600 conversions that Activision and Imagic released for the Intellivision were direct translations, and in retrospect many of them feel a bit lazy.  In my opinion, Atlantis is a perfect example of how to convert a game to the Intellivision in a way which preserves the gameplay while expanding it in a way that takes full advantage of what the Intellivision could do.  If there is to be a version of Atlantis released for the Amico, I certainly hope that they use the Intellivision version as their starting point—and I agree, it would lend itself very nicely to a co-op mode.

In Activision's case it was their policy not to introduce new features in their intellivision conversions of their atari cartridges.  I heard they weren't happy that you could fly over land in intellivision river raid.  Bad policy in those days since systems were so technically different.  When Mattel did their conversions to the atari 2600 they even changed the titles, recognising they are different games.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mr_me said:

In Activision's case it was their policy not to introduce new features in their intellivision conversions of their atari cartridges.  I heard they weren't happy that you could fly over land in intellivision river raid.  Bad policy in those days since systems were so technically different.

Yes, David Crane himself told me at PRGE that their policy at this time was to make all versions of different systems similar. But you know that changed later on. Dreadnaught Factor is different to the other systems. 

Activision and Imagic were the two very first 3rd party game companies. 

Both decided to go in different directions. 

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 1

Yeah, Dreadnaught Factor and Beamrider are original Intellivision games.  On an Atari 800, it's harder to do horizontal scrolling than vertical scrolling.  I've never played that version but other than orientation the gameplay could be faithfull to the original intellivision version.  The dreadnaught designs look identical.

Activision was founded by Atari guys.  Imagic was founded by both Mattel and Atari guys and game development for both systems were very much seperate at Imagic.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Intymike said:

Yes, David Crane himself told me at PRGE that their policy at this time was to make all versions of different systems similar. But you know that changed later on. Dreadnaught Factor is different to the other systems. 

Activision and Imagic were the two very first 3rd party game companies. 

Both decided to go in different directions. 

The approach from Imagic was riskier. To the extent that you keep messing with the same game over different platforms, such enhancements may backfire if not well done. Still, with the risk comes payoff, which was the case of Atlantis on the Intellivision. A great game! 

• Like 1