IGNORED

Why do you like Intellivision?

I started with one of my friends getting an Atari, another had an Odessey 2. I only had my Sears Touchdown handheld. Lol.  I think that was 1979.  Channel 11 WPIXX began running the TVPixxx series in the afternoons, and my father like the look of football.  I guess he kept it in the back of his head because that next year under our Xmas tree was a Sears SVA.  We played it all night.  Armor Battle, NFL Football, and Advanced D&D. I played it so much I had dreams of AD&D that night.  Lol.  My friends always came to my house to play games as they all saw how much better Intellivision was compared to Atari.  Then came Colecovision, with all the great Arcade ports...and it was down hill for it all after that.  I miss those days.  I once stayed home for a week with the flu playing Astrosmash all week.  

For Xmas the next year came the voice unit and the top 3 games... Then Atlanis, Microsurgeon...etc.  My dad would just bring home a game now and then and surprise me if my grades were good...and they always were.  Lol.  

Great times back then!

• Like 3

Unique games that have a bit (or a lot) of depth first and foremost. Unique sounds as well! Snafu's sound effects and music are forever etched into my brain. LocoMotion, MLB Baseball, AD&D Cloudy Mountain, etc.

Never been entirely in love with the controllers for many arcade type games though, but are designed well enough to suit the original exclusives from BITD. You just made do back then until you became fairly adept at using them. Nostalgia plays a factor of course (reminds of better times all around) and have fond memories of walking or riding my bike over to friends' homes to play... two friends that happened to be neighbors, each had their own Intellivision system. So during hangouts and especially sleepovers, the Intellivision would receive tons of play. One was more into sports, so was fun practicing and getting good at games like Baseball so I wouldn't get my ass handed to me each and every time I'd play him. lol

I never played Intellivision growing up, even though I knew about it.  I had a Coleco Gemini instead.  But, a friend in grade school said he had one with B-17 and the Intellvoice, but he never let me come over to play it.  It wasn't until about 3 years ago when I came across a bunch of boxed games at a thrift store that I finally had some games and was able to get a system off Ebay, so, the games are pretty good, but the controller has a lot to be desired.  The biggest problem I have with it is the cord for the controller.  It's not long enough and it's connected to the system, which kinda sucks, but otherwise, it is a cool, fun system that I am now collecting for.

6 hours ago, GeekDragon said:

I never played Intellivision growing up, even though I knew about it.  I had a Coleco Gemini instead.  But, a friend in grade school said he had one with B-17 and the Intellvoice, but he never let me come over to play it.  It wasn't until about 3 years ago when I came across a bunch of boxed games at a thrift store that I finally had some games and was able to get a system off Ebay, so, the games are pretty good, but the controller has a lot to be desired.  The biggest problem I have with it is the cord for the controller.  It's not long enough and it's connected to the system, which kinda sucks, but otherwise, it is a cool, fun system that I am now collecting for.

Get a Sears version of the Intellivision. Sears Super Video Arcade. Intellivision 2 also. Both systems have detachable controllers.

IMG_2042.jpg

8 hours ago, poconojo said:

Get a Sears version of the Intellivision. Sears Super Video Arcade. Intellivision 2 also. Both systems have detachable controllers.

Whenever I demoed FUBAR, I used my SSVA for just that reason.  No coiling gave the controllers more reach.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GeekDragon said:

Harder to find now and a little pricey on eBay, but get a Sears Super Video Arcade and you'll forever rid yourself of the coily controller cables!

Plus they're nicer too.  Lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Damn that looks beautiful. Now I may have to buy both one of these and a Tandyvision one.

I got lucky with this purchase on eBay. Payed 60 bucks with a few boxed games. The system is in really good shape and works perfectly. I think I like the looks of the Sears version the best.

36 minutes ago, poconojo said:

I got lucky with this purchase on eBay. Payed 60 bucks with a few boxed games. The system is in really good shape and works perfectly. I think I like the looks of the Sears version the best.

The only one on there now is $750 NIB, unfortunately. I got a regular Intellivision demo unit (!) for $100 a few weeks ago and it came in the mail 3 days ago. Might pick up a Tandyvision one when I get paid in a few days since those are plentiful and reasonably cheap (comparatively).

Edited by Steven Pendleton

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The only one on there now is $750 NIB, unfortunately. I got a regular Intellivision demo unit (!) for $100 a few weeks ago and it came in the mail 3 days ago. Might pick up a Tandyvision one when I get paid in a few days since those are plentiful and reasonably cheap (comparatively).

Some of these EBAY prices are ridiculous. I got lucky with my purchase. It was a "buy it now" deal. I took a chance and it worked out. I have had a few different versions of the intellivision console over the years, and the Sears version is my favorite. I never had this version until now. I use to have a few systems, ECS computer, intellivoice, close to 100 boxed games, many of them rare games, etc. I sold all my stuff years ago for next to nothing. Now I feel like collecting again.

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What is a regular Intellivision demo unit? Would love to see it.

8 hours ago, cvga said:

What is a regular Intellivision demo unit? Would love to see it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTED-AND-WORKING-Vintage-Mattel-Intellivision-Console-System-2609-with-games/153820640783?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Check out the picture of the bottom. FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY. I am guessing it was a demo unit of some sort.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

I like intellivision because of the looks of the system and versatility of the system. It often offers a different experience than the classic 2600 but doesn’t have all the sort comings. 

I would of liked to seen more variety of games on the intellivision thou and some better use of the number pad. I think it had better use of the number pad than the 5200 but not quite as much use as the Jaguar’s.

FD3B8F2E-4EA4-437B-812E-639545D79FE1.thumb.jpeg.8e119ef63cacb2eb8e8645708daac187.jpeg

Edited by skaredmask

8 hours ago, Zendocon said:

Did the Jaguar put the number pad to any real use?  

A small minority of games do make decent use of the numkeys for switching weapons, triggering maps or changing camera views, etc.

Edited by ls650

• 3 weeks later...

I find various aspects of the inty very visually pleasing-- the gold plating on the console, the forest green title screen with colored bars at the top, the superior music and graphics over the atari 2600.. But the controls do consistently frustrate me.  And atari had a better color palette.

I'm not sure how my parents pulled together the funds, but they did, and for Christmas in 1980 the family gift was an Intellivision with 4 extra games:

- NFL Football

- Major League Baseball

- Electric Company Math Fun
- Space Battle

All of them had the full color manuals so it was weird when we got games later that didn't. 

Naturally getting an Intellivision led to me rubbing my cousin's nose in it - despite him already having had Atari for more than a year already. Later he got ColecoVision and later ADAM so I guess he got the last laugh. 

We played soooo much and had a great deal of fun. It became a yearly ritual the next few Christmases to get new games. When we got Skiing even mom got in on the fun.

In 1981 my best friend got Intellivision for Christmas and we started noticing differences. His system box was leaner. His Space Battle had a blue box and was harder.

It was awesome for an unaware teenager beginning to earn pocket money to load up on cheap games, too, once the crash hit. Kay Bee was a great place to load up!

When INTV Corp. sent me catalogs my interest rejuvenated and I loaded up on even more games and an INTV System III. 

Through the decades even though we weren't constant companions, playing  Intellivision has always been ready to deliver the fun with friends and family. 

• Like 6

[mention=13851]MrBeefy[/mention] the old collections on CD are good if you don't mind playing on a computer (and you can bring a modern emulator and run the ROMs if you want). 

Intellivision Lives for DS is neat because it uses the touchscreen to simulate the number pad with an overlay. The emulator isn't perfect but the controller gimmick works for this purpose. Again, it's a shame it was never updated with the emulator quirks fixed and more software included, but it's still neat. Not "buy a whole new system to play old games" neat, but cool if you have a 3DS already. 

And the bottom row was cut off for Treasure of Tarmin, making it unplayable. I'm still bitter.
  • Like 2

3 reasons why I liked the Intellivision as a kid:

1- I always thought Intellivision games had a certain "depth" that Atari ones couldn't touch. AD&D, Space Battle, Utopia and others... you actually had to read the manual to play them well. 

2- The whole experience of interacting with the console and its games was really impressive to me. The console presentation was great, it really looked like a premium piece of equipment with its sophisticated looking controllers. Game boxes were beautiful to look at (even more the Imagic ones), I would devour the art and read every word in the back. Overlays provided additional eye candy. 

3- grew up with it, and have so many memories just like all the folks here.

Later in life my interest continued, as I learned more about the Blue Sky Rangers, all the games I never played, details about the hardware, programming... so nowadays I have even more reasons to continue to like it!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dgdgagdae said:

And the bottom row was cut off for Treasure of Tarmin, making it unplayable. I'm still bitter.

That and you can't see the card suits in Royal Dealer, only the red & black colors.  But at least it can play Reversi, and the collision detection works in Tower Of Doom, so I advise people to have the DS release of Lives as well as the Flashback console.

• Like 1