IGNORED

The End of an Era: The Sonic movie is actually great!

Mockduck

Just got out of a first-day screening of the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie and am happy to report that it was fantastic. Genuine heart, smart writing, surprisingly excellent action set pieces, charismatic acting, the list goes on.

For my life until now I've never heard of a good movie based on a video game. If it exists, I haven't seen it. 

As far as I can tell of all things can ya believe it - 2020 and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is the first good movie based on a video game, and was absolutely a blast to watch. I loved it!

The first "good" video game movie I remember seeing was the first Mortal Kombat movie, many years ago.  :)

Also, although it's not technically a "video game movie" in the regular sense of the word, I had a blast watching "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" in an actual movie theater.

• Like 4

It's not out here for another month and a half, but I was planning on seeing it just to see how terrible it is. It's a video game movie, so I expected it to be bad. Hopefully I'm wrong. I was wrong about the first Rurouni Kenshin movie, which I expected to be a total disaster but turned out to be excellent. Maybe/hopefully I'll be wrong about the Sonic movie as well.

I found it okayish... for kids. There is little depth in this movie for adults, which is strange since the movie des several nods to the original Sonic games - I assume they put them inside so that parents that wanted to see it had a good time recognizing the nods to the old games while kids have cheap laught with fart jokes and Sonic fighting bikers in a bar.

For good films from video games, Silent Hill did okay, in a whole different genre.

i took my 15-year old son yesterday to watch it and we went in with prettttty low expectations, lol.  The movie was decent, which was a huge surprise to us. 

I won't give any of the story away so some of my gripes aren't really relevant. Jim Carrey, though, stole the show in every scene he played in my opinion.  His character was a little one-sided but fantastic.  Also look for a cameo appearance by Michael Hogan (which I squeed a little over, haha).

• 4 weeks later...

I was not expecting to wake up and see this, but here it is.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-passes-detective-pikachu-is-now-highest-gros/1100-6474776/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

It was supposed to open on March 27th here, but it got delayed, so I must continue to wait (or fly to a different hemisphere).

Edited by Steven Pendleton
Wrong URL

On 2/14/2020 at 10:49 PM, Pixelboy said:

The first "good" video game movie I remember seeing was the first Mortal Kombat movie, many years ago.  :)

Also, although it's not technically a "video game movie" in the regular sense of the word, I had a blast watching "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" in an actual movie theater.

Aw c'mon, was Mortal Kombat released that long ago? Lol, ok, so maybe it was. Feels like last week! And agreed on Scott Pilgrim, what an awesome movie. Totally taken by surprise and was not on my radar. The beginning of real modern-retro nostalgia among the masses. Both I thought were damn good movies.

Gonna hold off on Sonic, though.

My recent faves are the Wreck It Ralph series, both fantastic.

Oh, and the original Street Fighter movie, of course. Which I actually did see in the theatre....MY EYES!!  MY EYES!!!!

Edited by atarilovesyou

• 1 month later...