IGNORED

New setup, but Batari not compiling.

Sprybug

Hey guys.   I finally got my main PC set back up since the move, and would like to continue Zed development on that.  Been using my old laptop for it but would prefer to do it on my main PC.  After getting it going again, I remembered why I stuck to my old laptop.  For some reason it isn't compiling anything.  Windows 7 64-bit.  Have the latest VbB build (568), using the reveng40 version batari BASIC.  Looks like I got the environmental setting paths all correct and everything.  But when I go to compile it says it does it in the message box, but the compiled BIN file always returns 0K and won't run.  What am I missing here?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sprybug said:

Hey guys.   I finally got my main PC set back up since the move, and would like to continue Zed development on that.  Been using my old laptop for it but would prefer to do it on my main PC.  After getting it going again, I remembered why I stuck to my old laptop.  For some reason it isn't compiling anything.  Windows 7 64-bit.  Have the latest VbB build (568), using the reveng40 version batari BASIC.  Looks like I got the environmental setting paths all correct and everything.  But when I go to compile it says it does it in the message box, but the compiled BIN file always returns 0K and won't run.  What am I missing here?

I am extremely new at this but, maybe a captain obvious question: to where are you compiling? It isn't in a synced folder like dropbox or something right? I learned pretty quickly the syncing of services like dropbox mess up the compiling. I have since switched over to using github, so I could work on my PC and a laptop.

Edited by enginpost

57 minutes ago, enginpost said:

I am extremely new at this but, maybe a captain obvious question: to where are you compiling? It isn't in a synced folder like dropbox or something right? I learned pretty quickly the syncing of services like dropbox mess up the compiling. I have since switched over to using github, so I could work on my PC and a laptop.

No, it's all local. I just copied my RobotZed folder from my laptop to my PC.  Same exact path too as my laptop.

• Like 1

Hmm that doesn't give much information. Almost certainly there must be an error that isn't showing in that output window. Maybe compiling from the command line would give more output? Try compiling from a command prompt in your source directory and see if you get any useful messages that way.

23 minutes ago, enginpost said:

Have you tried right clicking on the IDE and running as administrator to be sure it isn't a permissions issue? I would think that would show up as a proper error but maybe not. Worth a try.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, setting 2600basic.exe as run as administrator and running Visual bB as administrator doesn't change anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Hmm that doesn't give much information. Almost certainly there must be an error that isn't showing in that output window. Maybe compiling from the command line would give more output? Try compiling from a command prompt in your source directory and see if you get any useful messages that way.

I tried going into command.  Running atari2600.exe with the correct path and file to the .bas but then it just shows the name of the program, then shows "game" and then waits for me to do something.  I've never tried to run it from the command prompt before so I have no idea what's going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sprybug said:

I tried going into command.  Running atari2600.exe with the correct path and file to the .bas but then it just shows the name of the program, then shows "game" and then waits for me to do something.  I've never tried to run it from the command prompt before so I have no idea what's going on.

I don't have a Windows setup at the moment, but you will want to cd into the correct directory first, and run "2600bas" with the name of the file, e.g.:

cd\atari2600\Zed_Final
2600bas RobotZed_15.bas

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I don't have a Windows setup at the moment, but you will want to cd into the correct directory first, and run "2600bas" with the name of the file, e.g.:

cd\atari2600\Zed_Final
2600bas RobotZed_15.bas

You can't do it like that because the dos exe (and bat) path isn't set for that directory.  It won't find 2600bas.  I ran it in the directory it's in, and put in the directory path and file of the bas after as a parameter to pass to the program.

(in the C:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 directory )

2600bas c:\atari2600\Zed_Final\RobotZed_15.bas

And what I described is what it does.  Says game and waits for me to do something.

I reran the wizard in Visual bB again just to make sure it was all configured correctly, restarted, and still the same results.

Here's what the message window shows when Visual bB starts:

5026d26bde4996daad65d94d3672e453.png

• Like 1

If bB itself is setup correctly, then the path should include the directory where your bB executables reside. If it is not, then it may be the cause of your issue. Try running the install batch file that's in your C:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 directoryto get this set, then open a new command prompt which should have the new path setting, and try again. 

34 minutes ago, Karl G said:

If bB itself is setup correctly, then the path should include the directory where your bB executables reside. If it is not, then it may be the cause of your issue. Try running the install batch file that's in your C:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 directoryto get this set, then open a new command prompt which should have the new path setting, and try again. 

Yep.  Ran it.  It permanently set the path. I rebooted the whole computer.

Now instead of giving me a 0K file, it just doesn't even output a file and actually deleted the bin. XD

Same results in the messages.

At least now, when I try to compile a version of the game I know that has compiler problems, it at least tells me now, but it still won't compile a known working version.  I'm about to give up and go back to my laptop.

• Like 1

If the install_win.bat permanently set the path, then you should be able to do the command-line compile that Karl suggested earlier. If that doesn't work, then Windows doesn't have PATH and bB set right. If that does work, then we know that vbb has a problem, rather than bB.

6 minutes ago, RevEng said:

If the install_win.bat permanently set the path, then you should be able to do the command-line compile that Karl suggested earlier. If that doesn't work, then Windows doesn't have PATH and bB set right. If that does work, then we know that vbb has a problem, rather than bB.

Okay, so in command it will run 2600basic.exe from any directory, but will NOT run 2600bas.bat from any directory.  Checked the PATH in command, and c:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 is in there.

• Like 1

If it won't run "2600bas.bat" (did you type the extension too?) then it  seems like either you have 2600basic.exe in the current directory, somwhere else in PATH, and/or the PATH and bB variables point elsewhere.

Follow the instructions here to modify PATH for Windows 7 and ensure it's pointing at c:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40, and make sure there's a bB=c:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 environment (system) variable too.

After doing that, you'll need to close any CMD window, and reopen them to try 2600bat.bat again.

Hi Sprybug,

Try cleaning up the environment variables, rebooting, and reinstalling bB.

Open Start menu.

Windows System > Control Panel

User Accounts

Find the text on the left that says "Change my environment variables"

I think bB will be in the User section at the top.  Clean the list up, reboot, and try again.

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

If it won't run "2600bas.bat" (did you type the extension too?) then it  seems like either you have 2600basic.exe in the current directory, somwhere else in PATH, and/or the PATH and bB variables point elsewhere.

Follow the instructions here to modify PATH for Windows 7 and ensure it's pointing at c:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40, and make sure there's a bB=c:\Atari2600\bB.1.1d.reveng40 environment (system) variable too.

After doing that, you'll need to close any CMD window, and reopen them to try 2600bat.bat again.

Hey Rev, I might have something for you to check out.

On a whim, I gave something a try.

I was using v38 of your 2600basic program on my laptop. Was trying v40 on my desktop.

So I renamed the folder on my desktop to bB.1.1d.reveng40_OLD, copied v38 from my laptop to my desktop.

Then I renamed that folder from bB.1.1d.reveng38 to bB.1.1d.reveng40 (because the variables and path were already set to it.)

AAANNNDD

294e43ca14f41d6de5f9cdc6a333421e.png

It worked.

There's something with v40 that's causing it not to compile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

I don't think it's a problem with v40 generally. There would have been a lot more complaints before today - that one was released a couple years ago. Really, I think you're either running into Windows permission or AV trouble.

I'm not sure what the permission difference would be, since I just put a different version in place of the newer one.  What is AV BTW?  The only definition I know of AV is Audio/Video. :)

I've been using v38 all this time anyway on my laptop so it should be sufficient enough.  What's the difference between 38 and 40 BTW?

• Like 1

Have you looked at this:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

Now that batari Basic comes with, install_win.bat, do not set the bB Environment Variable or the bB Compiler System Path using VbB. Those settings are no longer needed and could cause problems. (There should not be a check mark next to them on the settings page.) From now on, only use install_win.bat to set the variable and path.

• Like 1