IGNORED

Atari Archive shipping Donations

ballyalley

On Tuesday I plan to mail @Allan the following unarchived (or needs-better-archiving-quality) Atari items.  The shipping can get quite expensive and the funds come directly from the pockets of Allan and myself.  I have a hope that some people can donate funds to me via PayPal to contribute to this on-going Atari archiving project.  As of right now, I'm not sure how much shipping will cost.  I'll give a sum total after the items have been shipped.

I have been exchanging many, many pictures with Allan over the last year or so.  He goes through the pictures and chooses what needs to be archived, or what needs to be archived in a better format.  Occasionally, I send him large batches of items and he scans them and uploads them to archive.org.  This can get quite expensive, as he and I send the items back and forth.

If you feel like making a donation to me, then send me a personal message and I will send you my PayPal account.  I will have @Allan chime in on this thread so that you know this is legitimate.

Here are pictures of everything that I'll be sending to Allan this coming week.

1695226087_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_01.thumb.jpg.384d56e238662c648783cc87e84b0b23.jpg1417909572_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_02.thumb.jpg.54cc149e280243a6b1f14fe70ada1e9b.jpg229070807_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_03.thumb.jpg.a1979069a663fb99f842e1955a8d957a.jpg247650734_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_04.thumb.jpg.84ad419812ae75fb753b43a919e40376.jpg552725939_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_05.thumb.jpg.443716f31b8cb85ccac804796b7d7761.jpg1547449821_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_06.thumb.jpg.eca293854f0b7d03f8ec94a3860eaf74.jpg1278077368_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_07.thumb.jpg.ed655462e9f0e538f453b66fcbeb14af.jpg313517171_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_08.thumb.jpg.f36fd17cbb99f674fb294c7a411fea8d.jpg95692768_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_09.thumb.jpg.ec8f034a70877b3df37339c4b520167b.jpg730236100_2020-01Jan30-AtariItemsTo-Mail_10.thumb.jpg.8b2862df7d2901fe1feb0d43ae775e2f.jpg

Thanks for considering making a donation-- the Atari community rocks!

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks to @Atari_Ace for donating $25 to my Pay Pal account to help cover shipping of the "Current Notes" magazines.  He suggests that I use flat-rate priority boxes for some of these to-archive Atari items.  I'll keep people posted in shipping costs for this lot of items that I ship to @Allan.  It's really great when people pull together to make archiving Atari material cost-effective for everyone.

Adam

• Like 1

I managed to fit all of the Atari items that I'm going to send to @Allan into two large and heavy boxes that I'm going to mail this week.  Here are the estimated prices from the shippers to get these boxes all the way across the U.S.:

1) Box 1 - 24 pounds - UPS Ground: $62.00

2) Box 2 - 18 pounds - UPS Ground: $48.00

There are other shipping options, like USPS, but they're all much more expensive.

That's a total shipping cost, just to @Allan, of $110.  After he archives everything, then it will cost him about the same to ship everything back to me.

Are there some more kind Atari folks who would like to donate funds to me so that I can afford to help get Atari items archived?

Thanks, everyone!

Adam

• Like 2

Thanks to @777ismyname for donating $15 for shipping.  That brings the total donation up to $40 of the expected $110 total of the shipping costs.  Does anyone else wanna chip in a few bucks?  @Allan and I will be extremely grateful.

I hope to ship the two boxes with all the Atari goodies to @Allan tomorrow.

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks to @slx for donating $20 for shipping.  That brings the total donation up to $60 of the (what I had originally expected) to be the $110 total for the shipping costs.  The actual cost of shipping was higher than that price.

I shipped the two boxes to @Allan this morning via UPS ground shipping.  All right-- archiving can soon begin on Allen's end of things.  The actual cost of shipping was 13.62% higher than my original shipping estimate.  I guess that's what I get for using a standard bathroom scale to weigh the boxes.  I'll give some more shipping details later today.

Does anyone else wanna chip in a few bucks toward the shipping of these to-archive Atari items?  @Allan and I will be extremely grateful.

Adam

Here are the two boxes full of Atari-Goodness sitting on the counter at The UPS Store yesterday.

Two_Atari_Packages_at_UPS.thumb.jpg.3d2e238fec5f2bdbc1cccfcef90e8382.jpg

The packages look so innocent just resting there at UPS.  No one would know that they're full of rare Atari material.

I shipped both boxes to @Allan yesterday so that he can archive all of the material when he has the time.  I was looking at the UPS receipt more carefully today and I noticed that both items cost the exact same amount to ship ($62.49 each), despite that one box weighed about 18 pounds and the other box weighed about 25 pounds.  UPS uses postal zones for shipping rates for packages over a certain size and weight.  I don't understand shipping rates at all; I wish that I did get them just a little bit more, then maybe I could save some money on shipping next time.

As of today Allan has made 928 separate uploads to Archive.org (and I think he adds material to AtariMania too).  You can see what he has uploaded lately to Archive.org here:

https://archive.org/details/@allan52

This is my one last call-out for any volunteers who would like to offer donations to help cover the $124.98 total shipping charges of these two boxes that Allan will start scanning when he has some free time.  If you can make a donation, then contact me privately here on AtariAge and I'll send you my PayPal information.

Thanks, everyone!

Adam

1 hour ago, Larry said:

So... how are you taking donations via PayPal?  Perhaps I missed it here, but didn't see it.

Yes, Paypal. If you are interested in helping out, send a Private Message to Adam and he will give you a Paypal address.

Allan

Thanks to @pixelmischief for making a $40 donation for shipping yesterday.  That brings the total donated amount to $125 of the total $125 cost of shipping the two boxes to @Allan.  Thanks to everyone who donated-- you all are so damn cool!  The Atari community rocks!

@Allan, when the boxes arrive at your place, please let us know here.

Thanks everyone!

Adam

• Like 1

Well, the boxes have arrived and I have started in on the archiving. Thank you to everyone who helped out on the cost of shipping. This will take a while to scan but you can always follow my progress on Archive.org.

Here's my first scan from the collection:

https://archive.org/details/bkey400keyboardinstallationmanual/mode/2up

You can save this link to see anything new that is upload by me.

And of course a big thank you to Adam for letting me archive all this Atari 8-bit stuff.

Allan

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't updated this in a while but I have made some great progress lately. I probably have about a dozen or so things to scan (although a couple of them are big.)

I scanned a lot of the Current Notes magazine. It's nice to see these finally up on the Net. We still need to find issues from the first three years and the last three years. 

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan said:

I scanned a lot of the Current Notes magazine. It's nice to see these finally up on the Net. We still need to find issues from the first three years and the last three years.

I've been looking at your updates from time to time.  They've been nice.  I noticed that the Current Notes updates have been mentioned on Antic.  I didn't realize that issues of Current Notes were hard to find.

Adam

Yup. I guess because it was published as a newsletter than a magazine. So it probably didn't get the distribution. That's certainly true with the early issues. The later issues are probably hard to find because of the decline of Atari computer sales.  I know there are collectors that have them. We just need to get them to scan them or let someone else scan them. We will find them someday.

Current Notes got decent distribution based on their postal service yearly declarations.  These are the average circulation numbers they filed with the post office and reproduced in the magazine.

1986 2500

1987 3400

1988 4500

1989 4800

1990 4500

1991 4000

In comparison, the Puget Sound Atari News newsletter claimed a circulation of 800 throughout 1989 and 1990.  I'd love to know the circulation of Atari Interface, as it (like Current Notes) had some bookstore distribution (which is where I got a few issues in the 1991/92), but AFAIK they never divulged their circulation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atari_Ace said:

[... Current Notes] had some bookstore distribution (which is where I got a few issues in the 1991/92)

I bought Current Notes on the newstand in Albuquerque at a bookstore called Page One.  It was one of the first Atari magazines that I had access to when I started getting into the Atari 8-bit line in around 1993/94.  I guess the old issues couldn't be sent back to the publisher, so the older issues were stacked behind the newer issues at the time.  That was how I ended up getting the newest issue plus about four or five back issues all at once.  That was a fun find and a fun day of reading.  I ended up having a subscription until the Current Notes folded, but I sold or gave away most of my Atari magazines in the late-90s and early-2000s.

Adam