IGNORED

Atari Archive shipping Donations

ballyalley

16 minutes ago, ballyalley said:

...It was one of the first Atari magazines that I had access to when I started getting into the Atari 8-bit line in around 1993/94...

Sadly that was about when I was getting out of the 8-bit line (after a brief resurgence of interest).  I did subscribe to Atari Classics for its first year (they only just reached their modest 500 subscriber goal), but I had too many other interests at the time for me to renew.

I have much fonder memories of Atari publishing ten years earlier, when I'd go to various bookstores in the Boston area and pick up the latest issues of ANTIC and ANALOG for their Atari-exclusive coverage, as well as SoftSide, COMPUTE! and even Micro (the 6502 magazine).  I remember going to our local library and checking out back issues of BYTE to read the De Re Atari serialization, and a neighboring town's library to read/photocopy the Creative Computing Outpost Atari columns.  So much good material.

I'm so happy almost all of that material is on archive.org and other sites today, since although I still have all my old magazines (and more acquired in the early 1990s), I left most of them at my parent's home and can't easily access them anymore.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:26 PM, Atari_Ace said:

...I'd love to know the circulation of Atari Interface, as it (like Current Notes) had some bookstore distribution (which is where I got a few issues in the 1991/92), but AFAIK they never divulged their circulation.

Sure enough I was reading the September 1991 Atari Interface yesterday (recently added to archive.org) and came across this in the editorial:

Because about 2,500 copies are sent to members of clubs at what the Post Office considers a “nominal fee,” we can’t go to 2nd class mailings without forms from everyone.

This is probably the majority of their circulation, so they probably weren't as widely distributed as Current Notes, but comparable.  I believe most of them are now available on archive.org now, as well as the predecessor the Michigan Atari Magazine and Mid-Michigan Atari Magazine.  You can even find many of the ENERGY newsletters that preceded the Mid-Michigan Atari Magazine.

I just posted my second to last issue I have to scan and am about to start the last one, October, 1992.

I also posted a ValForth manual that was scanned from a photo copy this morning.

I'm actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have three more magazines to scan, a couple of small manuals and two more big ValForth manuals.

I also have to finish copying the disks Adam sent me as well as copy four cassettes.

https://archive.org/details/@allan52

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Allan said:

I'm actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. [...] I have three more magazines to scan, a couple of small manuals and two more big ValForth manuals.

Thanks for scanning all of this material and software, Allan.  I never would have done it myself.

Hopefully some other people with come forward with issues of Current Notes.

Allan scanned "The User's Guide:To CP/M Systems And Software" magazine from November 1982:

https://archive.org/details/users-guide-to-cpm-systems-and-software/mode/2up

I had wondered why this magazine was part of an Atari user's collection.  Then it occurred to me that he had the ATR-8000.  Did the ATR-8000 come with some CP/M information like this magazine?

Adam

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ballyalley said:

Allan scanned "The User's Guide:To CP/M Systems And Software" magazine from November 1982:

https://archive.org/details/users-guide-to-cpm-systems-and-software/mode/2up

I had wondered why this magazine was part of an Atari user's collection.  Then it occurred to me that he had the ATR-8000.  Did the ATR-8000 come with some CP/M information like this magazine?

Adam

Yea, I tried looking up any info on this magazine and there isn't much. Somebody started to post some articles from issue two a long time ago. (still have to scan that issue)

From what little I could find, the magazine was published for at least a couple of years but I can't find much about. Neither could I find much on the publisher.

8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Sorry @Allan, part of the fun is seeing you buried in paper. :)          If you are seeing daylight, we need folks to start sending you more...

Yes, I'm a terrible terrible  individual...  ?

Hopefully they will. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

All the disks have been archived (will post them at some point) that were still good. Some were bad and could not be saved. They did not seem to be anything rare or interesting. The cassettes are copied and being processed by others. There were only about four of them. All the documents are scanned except for the ValForth set. These are coming along rather quickly. I thought I would need to scan them a page at a time but it turns out they scan perfectly in the document feeder. So just some scans of some physical disks and some posting of the the rest of the stuff that has been scanned and then that will be it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allan said:

All the disks have been archived (will post them at some point) that were still good. [...] The cassettes are copied and being processed by others. [...] All the documents are scanned except for the ValForth set.

I'm so glad that there are people like Allan in the Atari community who put so much of their own time and effort into making sure that programs and documents are saved.  The archival work allows people to examine and pick through what has been saved and put it in a fresh light.  It's inspiring to see that the Atari 8-bit computers are about 40 years old and that there is still a thriving community out there.  Mostly I have been able to contribute to the community by donating materials, but I've thought of making a short Atari podcast that would cover type-in programs from the magazines and books.  I'm surprised no one else has taken this idea and run with it.

Adam

• Like 2

Hi Allan

Thanks for all the hard work.

Can you please post a picture of the hardware you are using for this? I'm interested on the scanner you use...what model/maker is it? Does it include a document feeder?

Kind regards,

Luis.

No problem Luis.

I use and Epson GT-2500 with a document feeder and an Epson GT-20000 for larger scans. They make a document feeder for the GT-20000 but it is hard to find and not cheap when one comes up on eBay. I am hoping to find one one day so I can scan my Computer Shopper magazines.