IGNORED

TERM80 & TIPI (for PEB) revisited

mr_gw454

I am having issues getting TERM80 to load/run correctly.  I am using a TIPI in a PEB and have the TERM80 folder mounted as DSK1.  I do not have an F18A adapter.  Stock (composite) video.

I am using the utility Force Command and do a 'load LOAD' (as it looks like LOAD is the loader program on the disk needed to start TERM80).

Initially, all I saw was this:

JPEG_20200215_204453.thumb.jpg.44b540be02e12ae1f24a24ac6bcd2584.jpg

... then pressed a key (can't recall which one) and saw this:

JPEG_20200215_205318.thumb.jpg.98784bc46cff8c8f357731b25bce241f.jpg

I could hit keys and the screen would update, but could not make heads or tails of anything.  Rebooting the TI and reloading TERM80 (using the same method) got me back to the blank screen.  From there, I hit some keys again and got this:

IMG_20200216_083222.thumb.jpg.2e84921ac6382636a14994ac145a39ab.jpg

At this point, I guess I have no idea what I'm doing. 

Can anyone provide any assistance?

Thank you!

OK, got a bit further.  Realizing the the LOAD program is a BASIC program.  I discovered this when booting with Extended Basic Plus and it auto loaded and ran it.  I now get the TERM80 initial text menu, where option 1 should load the main program.

I get an ERROR in LINE 191 where it tried to CALL LOAD ("XBLOAD/O").  It looks like the file is saved as XBLOAD@O on the file system so perhaps it's not finding it?  I did use TI99Dir to extract files from the original TERM80.DSK image.  Perhaps it's extracted the name incorrectly for that file?

Still not sure if there's a proper way to do this using the TIPI.  I know programs need to be in TIFILES compatible format.  I did use TI99Dir to convert all PROGRAM files to TIFILES format before copying to the TIPI.

In any case, I would still appreciate some assistance for anyone who's using TERM80 on a TIPI. 

Thanks!

Edited by mr_gw454

Thanks Greg, worked here on TIPI and my F18A console. :)  I was reading the docs and came across this snip from the author. Pretty amazing.

"Who wrote this fabulous program?

Term 80 was programmed by myself (duh!), Jeff Brown, in Ottawa, Ontario   (Canada) on my TI computer. I'm only 15 at this moment, but I started it   11 months ago (at the end of August, '94). I'm going to be starting 10th   grade this September (god knows how boring that will be. <sigh>), but I   have receive special permission to enter the 12th grade computer couse (C)."

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 1:58 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Thanks Greg, worked here on TIPI and my F18A console. :)  I was reading the docs and came across this snip from the author. Pretty amazing.

"Who wrote this fabulous program?

Term 80 was programmed by myself (duh!), Jeff Brown, in Ottawa, Ontario   (Canada) on my TI computer. I'm only 15 at this moment, but I started it   11 months ago (at the end of August, '94). I'm going to be starting 10th   grade this September (god knows how boring that will be. <sigh>), but I   have receive special permission to enter the 12th grade computer couse (C)."

I actually bought Term 80 from Jeff in 1997 I believe, but the disks apparently got lost in the mail as they I never received them and Jeff was not terribly interested in sending another set. I did not pursue the matter at the time. I did meet him at one the Chicago TI Faires maybe a decade later and he had come in dressed in a full Scottish kilt. Interesting fellow... 

So this prompted me to dig out my old 2400bps modem and test out Term 80 with the TIPI. It works just fine, but it looks like there is an issue connecting via dialup to The Keep. There is this weird line about registration and then the bbs hangs. Same thing with TIMXT. The modem works fine with another BBS, so it's not the problem.

Incidentally, the Hidden Reef is not answering. Is it still up? I have not connected to it in years. Come to think of it, I have not heard from Richard Bell for some time either...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I actually bought Term 80 from Jeff in 1997 I believe, but the disks apparently got lost in the mail as they I never received them and Jeff was not terribly interested in sending another set. I did not pursue the matter at the time. I did meet him at one the Chicago TI Faires maybe a decade later and he had come in dressed in a full Scottish kilt. Interesting fellow... 

I remember that year.  My other half quipped at the time that she thought Hal was the only person allowed to wear shorts or similar leg-baring clothing at the near-winter Chicago Faires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So this prompted me to dig out my old 2400bps modem and test out Term 80 with the TIPI. It works just fine, but it looks like there is an issue connecting via dialup to The Keep. There is this weird line about registration and then the bbs hangs. Same thing with TIMXT. The modem works fine with another BBS, so it's not the problem.
Incidentally, the Hidden Reef is not answering. Is it still up? I have not connected to it in years. Come to think of it, I have not heard from Richard Bell for some time either...
I'll check it out.. have to hook up a modem

Richard's bbs was up a few days ago the last time I tried. I'll send him a email

Greg

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

On 11/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, Vorticon said:

its back up!

• Like 1