IGNORED

XL BOSS with PBI support needed for U1MB

Brian W.

Hey all,

I'm putting a query out to see if anyone has an interest in making XL BOSS, or a forward compatible version of OS B with PBI for the Ultimate 1 MB. I did various tests, and even confirmed with Jazzcat that PBI functions of XL Boss are not working for it, or non-existent. Now the rational for my query to make it PBI supported is this. I found that the game ENCOUNTER!, *Which has other revisions that work with the Base XL version on the Aug 2019 rev of the U1MB update works with other revs of the game. Sure, you'd think that would be the end of that knowing other copies work. But what if you ran into a game that was not? Or just needed to have that straight up backwards 800 compatibility, other than the OS B PAL or NTSC rev. For some reason, the XL Boss rev 2 works perfectly with loading up this un-patched version of Encounter! Now don't get distracted by me repeating this one game. I can live with the work around. What I'm looking for though it a community level update to XL Boss to use with the U1MB on a routine basis with PBI support.  The original thread I found on XL BOSS is noted below. I've already had some discussions with Nezgar, and it does seem like a plausible idea to do. There's a few other features of XL Boss that are meaning full to use, and there's even many who've tried to use XL BOSS, but I can't find mention of quirks with PBI.

NOTABLE TESTS RAN:

Equipment: | Atari 800XL - U1MB | SDMAX - SIO - Gavin SIO board latest rev. |

Side test with, same results as U1MB Boss Xl rev. Atari 800XL with OS rom replaced with patched HSIO and Boss XL with reverse Option only mod |

Game: Encounter 3 versions ran against the default u1mb OS choices (excluding XEGS) - Either lead to black screen, start screen, but locks on starting the game.

U1MB CHANGE: Replaced XEGS with Boss XL Rev 2. - Game runs as normal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Load Boss only, no cart, no SIO option, loading Sparta up. - Sucess OS works with Sparta seemingly normal.

Load Boss with SideCart2 - Cart only mode and ATR mode - Unable to see it - Alternatively J.S.C. ran some inquiries for PBI fumction, and nothing indicated they we're found by the os.

Keep in mind, this focus is not on the game, as much as it's an inquiry to make XL BOSS a possible alternative OS for the U1MB.

Thanks for your input all!

Edited by Brian W.
Word correction, BOSS XL to XL BOSS

I'm also curious if such a beast exists - since most of the "800" compatible OS's for the XL/XE are derivatives of the original 400/800 OS that did not have PBI support in the first place. Most of them like BOSS XL, Omniview, Omnimon, OSN-XL, all used one, more, or all of the extra 6K from the selftest, International Char Set, PBI code, etc...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kyle22 said:

I believe they had to take out PBI functionality to make room for their (very nice) tools. I don't think it will all fit in the ROM space.

Yes, that is the case for most of the commercial "OSB" compatible ROM's.. PBI and International char set were often removed to make way for fun stuff. But was there ever a "highly 800 compatible" OS that retained PBI function? I can't think of one myself...

• Like 1