IGNORED

Encryption programs for the A8?

Larry

I typed "encryption" in the search window here at AA, and got 2500+ hits, so I won't be looking through those.

So, does anyone know of any simple encryption programs for the Atari 8-bit?  I wrote one in BASIC back in the 80's that would take a key phrase and encrypt a file based on that key.  Something that would take the NSA about .02 seconds to crack with their hardware.  But I can't find that program anymore.  Anyone have or know of one? 

-Larry

Here was one written for Analog's ST-LOG:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/st-log/issue33/66_1_UTILITY_SAFE_KEEPING.php

I don't see a listing, but I think I should be able to find it somewhere.  It's written in Pascal, so that is a "Plus" in that it is generally much easier for me to figure out than C.

I'm going to look at the other platforms.  I seem to remember a couple of others that I ran across over the years.

• Like 1

Found the listing in the PDF of ST-LOG #32 at Atarimania.  Looks pretty simple to model a BASIC XE  (or Turbo BASIC XL) program after it using the XOR function in either of those languages. Thanks for the suggestions and especially Rybags with the XOR suggestion (since it is easy to incorporate into a BASIC program). Interestingly, the example of using XOR in the Basic XE manual is wrong! Says

5 % 39 = 32 and is actually 34.