IGNORED

HSC17 Round 3: MR DO!

therealbountybob

Mr DO!

OOOOH YEAH! The third classic game of the season, another great pick from the HSCers :cool:

I'll get the season's Current Standings updated later in the week.

Round ends Sunday 1st March 10am UK time

Download XEX

atarimania info

image.png.f682b4bb2905eb7cf302bd1175435bee.png

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY JUST POST A SCORE, IF YOU MISSED ROUND1: JOUST OR ROUND2: DONKEY KONG POST A LATE SCORE FOR THOSE TOO :party:

Bonus Challenge - Fastest time for stages 1-3 - To be played as part of normal games (not restarting to beat it)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIPS from previous HSC plays (you may get more enjoyment working things out for yourself)

FANDAL>>>

My tactics is:

1) to grab as much extra lives as possible in lower levels

2) to release ball as faster as possible, no waiting for better opportunity

3) to block caves with apples, wait for enemies to mutate and then kill 'em all in one cool shot :)

4) not to fight with enemies in higher levels, much better is to collect all cherries to finish level

Happy gaming! :)

KENFUSED>>>

More points are awarded for smashing more enemies at once with an apple. Walk under an apple and push it back towards a ledge half way over and wait for them to accumulate, then push it off and hit several at once. On later levels they will get more impatient and dig after you quicker. Pushing the apple a little over the edge can become more important in later levels since if they are in a digging mode on the other side of the apple you wont be able to push it back...so just run.

Every 5000 points whatever letter is highlighted will come out so it can be controlled, at least when your life is not in danger. It will pause over letters you need longer to give you more of a chance. It should be possible to earn a free life every 2-3 screens, especially in early levels

Getting a set of 8 cherries in a group without a pause earns a few extra points. You will hear the sound go up in frequency with each cherry, but the sound will drop if you studder and dont get them all in a single swoop.

Do this whenever it is safe to build up some extra points. Can also be useful if you are close to a 5000 point interval. Getting as many cherries also leaves you a way out to clear the screen as an alternative to clearing all the enemies.

The center objects after all the red enemies are out also brings out a letter and his henchmen. If it is safe try to time it to get the letter you want. Try not to dig vertical paths from the center to the top where EXTRA is or they can reach you faster.

Diamond is worth 8000 points and clears a level. Because is worth more than 5000, you will usually have a letter come out on the next board (maybe not if one was out on the screen when you got the diamond).

You can throw the ball through a wall without completely breaking through. Even if you accidently break through a little, the red men usually dont notice and go that way, at least not until after you die and the level restarts.

You can throw a ball into an apple that is being pushed towards you, then just back up and let them push the apple and the ball will get them

Balls typically come back to you faster when used when the henchmen are out.

On the right bit version, control sometimes seems a little akward, like if you go o change direction and accidently pick a diagnal, mr do will keep walking in the same direction. It can be very hard to throw a ball behind you. THe ball gets stuck a lot more in areas than the arcade (it will eventually break or whatver it does). It seems llike sometimes it takes a long time to get the ball back IMO. Balls seemed to come faster back to you in two's.

• Like 4

11,300 I almost bailed out on this round since I don't own this game psychically. But chose not to since the Donkey Kong round was fun!

EDIT: 14,850 Made a small improvement. Is there supposed to be input lag on Altirra for this game?  

Edited by Magmavision2000
I don't have a screenshot option on my computer, so I hope recordings are okay
  • Like 2

15750 - interesting use of an artifacting font to create colored scoring. (This score was in PAL mode, only found out about that when looking at the posts above.)

Improved to 25.150 (Altirra, NTSC, using Saitek gamepad) - I think this plays nicer on NTSC.

image.png.4ec5f5bd41193712033d728ec51bb7cf.png

image.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

11,300 I almost bailed out on this round since I don't own this game psychically. But chose not to since the Donkey Kong round was fun!

f.avi 29.4 MB · 2 downloads

EDIT: 14,850 Made a small improvement. Is there supposed to be input lag on Altirra for this game?  

C l o w n.avi 41.96 MB · 1 download

Other than beating TRBB, the best thing about the HSC is discovering new games, and discovering that games you thought were crap are actually good when you play them more.

Screenshots are optional, I tend to post one if I get a good score

• Like 2

I just watched a YT video and realized that you can use the fire button to throw the ball at the monsters, one at a time! I've not played Mr. Do! or its clones very much back in the days so this was a new relevation to me and should improve my scores at least a little. It would also open up for a possible bonus challenge: highest score without throwing the ball.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Marius said:

I have pneumonia

Curiously, there was a browser based game in 2009 called Mission Pneumonia, sponsored by Vicks. The site is shut down, but the contents seem to remain here:

https://jess3.com/projects/mission-pneumonia/

While it might be bad taste to name games after potentially dangerous diseases, I must admit that Pneumonia sounds a bit cool. The other year I made a crap game called Meldonium in spirit of Tanium, Uridium etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Curiously, there was a browser based game in 2009 called Mission Pneumonia, sponsored by Vicks. The site is shut down, but the contents seem to remain here:

https://jess3.com/projects/mission-pneumonia/

While it might be bad taste to name games after potentially dangerous diseases, I must admit that Pneumonia sounds a bit cool. The other year I made a crap game called Meldonium in spirit of Tanium, Uridium etc.

Haha brilliant. I hope I will get well soon.

• Like 3

44,350!  Getting the hang of it.  Managed to spell EXTRA once for a free life. 

For those (like me) that needed some help understanding the nuances of this game, I found this link quite useful.  It's for the arcade version, but it seems to translate well over to the A8 version:  https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mr._Do!/Walkthrough

And one personal tip:  You need to have a plan of attack.  Running through blindly never bodes well for you.  Take a second at the beginning of the stage to figure out where you want to go, or where you think you can do the most damage.

Needed a break from frickin' "Frankenstein's Monster."  AARRRRGGGHHHH!

Mr Do 44350.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 4