IGNORED

HSC17 Round 3: MR DO!

therealbountybob

2 hours ago, Benighted said:

Put the game on the Maxflash. When I try to start it, my XEGS just goes straight to ready screen.... bummer

Did you use the ATR of the XEX file? The XEX file does even run on my Atari 400... so it can not be that complicated to run from AtariMax cart and XEGS...

Mr. Do! Is absolutely a very nice game on atari 8bit. I liked it before in HSC and I still like it. It gives me most certainly a "hehe, eat that you bastards" feeling when I can destroy several enemies with one apple. Or that "omg why was I so clumsy" feeling haha. It really thrills me, and it keeps me interested. 

It is a hard game too though, and success from previous tries is not at all a prove that you will succeed again. Most of the times I reach around 120K points. Every now and then I get more. But there are also times I already die way sooner. Anyway, just like Donkey Kong... Mr. Do! is really a very nice title in our a8 game collection.

• Like 4

Had a proper session tonight, no improvement though 

My last game I died and killed the final letter of extra at the same time. I got the congratulations you won an extra life Mr Do! and I thought, ooh lucky, but it then went straight to the game over screen. I guess the game was lying 

I got 55 seconds (22,24,09) a few games previously for the first 3 screens, but I got the diamond in the 3rd screen, so don't know if that's allowed for the time bonus (and I wasn't trying to get a good time, I just have zero strategy other than killing the dudes). My previous best was 76 (28, 37, 11)

• Like 1

Had 1 game just now and got better than nearly 2 hours of play last night. Guess I just got lucky, think I'll leave it at that

If any of the top players have any videos of their strategies, I'd love to see them (after the round ends) if they'd care to share. I can see where there'd be room for strategies in this game, with different ways to end the level, build score, and things like trapping enemies and stuff, but I can't figure anything out that seems to work

Fun game though. Loved it when I was 12, and still holds up amazingly!

20200229_131745.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, STARBUG said:

If any of the top players have any videos of their strategies, I'd love to see them (after the round ends) if they'd care to share. I can see where there'd be room for strategies in this game, with different ways to end the level, build score, and things like trapping enemies and stuff, but I can't figure anything out that seems to work

I don't have a good way to record my Atari.   

I tried using Altirra and recording that but the input lag is horrendous.  The best I could manage was about 230K.  I'm using a pretty new i7 Windows 10 gaming laptop with the CX40 USB joystick and the game is almost unplayable.

If you are using an emulator any tips for getting a more authentic experience?

8 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Try as I might, I cannot improve on my score.  I don't know how you guys do it, but it just gets too frantic.  At least I can improve on my bonus time, though:  78 seconds.

Bonus 78.png

There are a few things to take in mind

1. When a level starts do NOT make a path to the enemies. You'd better wait for them coming to you. Use your ball wisely and make path to apples so when the enemies are close enough you can make the apple fall on one or more of them.

2. When it gets nasty try to eat the center cookie which makes every enemy stop and the letter appears. Go eat cherries then and walk in the opposite direction of the blue monsters.

3. Do collect letters as much as possible but also make sure that you have a ball ready to kill an enemy.

This game is all about strategy. Most important is that you do not make too many short paths. Those creatures will always find the shortest way to you. 

Some scenes are easier than others. I think scene 2, 3, 4, 5, and 9 are the easiest. I find the zero extremely hard and 6, 7 and 8 are pretty hard too. The start scene (the 1) isn't the easiest as well.

Although the center cookie might scare you (since those blue monsters are heading towards you) it can be a great way of creating some rest in the game. Another strategy then is to quickly first kill the pausing enemies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

I tried using Altirra and recording that but the input lag is horrendous.  The best I could manage was about 230K.  I'm using a pretty new i7 Windows 10 gaming laptop with the CX40 USB joystick and the game is almost unplayable.

I use aTube Catcher to record videos.  It's pretty user-friendly.

As for a more authentic experience, I use Altirra and the 2600-daptor, which allows me to use a CX-40 Atari joystick.  I highly recommend getting one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

Personally, I use original consoles/computers (800xl in this case), so my videos are recorded by resting my phone on some Lego/Cigarette packets/Random objects and pointing it at the tv

Actually, I do remember using Atari800win emulator a few years ago on my crappy laptop, and don't remember any lag. I recorded some clips using a free video capture app called bandicam, but I've no idea if it's considered a good app, it worked for me at the time anyway 

• Like 1

Okay so I pointed my phone at the TV, and recorded a video.  I then broke it up into segments to comply with YouTube's 15-minute limit. 

The audio is horrible, and the video isn't great, but you can see what's going on.  The video is unlisted so you'll have to use the links to find it.

I'm sharing the whole thing, warts and all.  So I expect you all to hit 400K by Sunday night!   

Enjoy!

Let's play Mr. Do - part 1

Let's play Mr. Do - part 2

Let's play Mr. Do - part 3

mrdo7.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

I'm sharing the whole thing, warts and all.  So I expect you all to hit 400K by Sunday night!   

Ha, not likely!

6 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

That's great thanks. I'm probably not goin to submit any more scores, though I'd like to improve my score at a later date.

Thanks for taking the time to make this, I'm going to check the vids out now!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

Okay so I pointed my phone at the TV, and recorded a video.  I then broke it up into segments to comply with YouTube's 15-minute limit. 

The audio is horrible, and the video isn't great, but you can see what's going on.  The video is unlisted so you'll have to use the links to find it.

Enjoy!

Let's play Mr. Do - part 1

Let's play Mr. Do - part 2

Let's play Mr. Do - part 3

mrdo7.jpg

@oracle_jediJust finished watching your vids

I wasn't planning on playing any Mr DO! today, but you videos have inspired me to maybe have a sneaky game or 2!

Outstanding! 

Thanks again, I'm sure others will benefit from you videos too. Let's hope for a last day score surge!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

Have you tried full screen mode (alt-enter)?

10 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I use aTube Catcher to record videos.  It's pretty user-friendly.

As for a more authentic experience, I use Altirra and the 2600-daptor, which allows me to use a CX-40 Atari joystick.  I highly recommend getting one.

I think you've already linked this on the beginners' guide thread - EVERYONE if you have something that will help others out with their setup's please post about it on there (too).

On 2/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Benighted said:

Put the game on the Maxflash. When I try to start it, my XEGS just goes straight to ready screen.... bummer

On 2/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, Marius said:

Did you use the ATR of the XEX file? The XEX file does even run on my Atari 400... so it can not be that complicated to run from AtariMax cart and XEGS...

Please help out Benighted guys - as it says READY? is it just a case of disabling basic (holding Option in) ?

Final Tables in a minute ! It was 10AM this time folks ;-)

Congratulations to oracle_jedi for the win, and picking up a #bonus point for posting his Mr Do! video revealing all - I'll study that later to see how we compare!) I took runners up spot with McKong stealing in to knock Marius off the 3rd place spot :sad: Great game had loads of fun playing it, hope you all did too, now let's see what the heck is going on with that poll, do we have a winner?!!

Final Tables

*if you missed this round or rounds 1 and 2 post a late score and join in on round 4

Mr DO!

1st  oracle_jedi        534,800  13pts#
  2nd  therealbountybob   497,700  11pts
  3rd  McKong                    402,900  10pts

4th   Marius                             264,950  9pts
  5th   RedThunder                     209,350  9pts
  6th   Starbug                           153,500  9pts
  7th   Deteacher                        126,600  8pts
  8th   MagicMarc-er                    114,800  8pts
  9th   Gury                               107,050  8pts
 10th   Goochman                      100,800  7pts
 11th   Sikor                               99,300  7pts
 12th   Mr Trust                          83,150  7pts
 13th   chevymad                        81,900  6pts
 14th   graywest                         72,050  6pts
 15th   Mangia-Boy                     70,450  6pts
 16th   Fallout_002                     55,300  5pts
 17th   a8isa1                            44,450  5pts
 18th   pusakat                          42,800  5pts
 19th   carlsson                         41,100  4pts
 20th   mimo                             41,050  4pts
 21st   manterola                       39,550  4pts

22nd  jblenkle                           36,600  3pts
 23rd   McKong Bro                    32,700  3pts
 24th   Magmavision2000            31,550  3pts
 25th   AtariLeaf                         31,400  2pts
 26th   slx                                 30,800  2pts

27th   BoatofCar                       27,900  2pts
 28th   roadrunner                      23,200  2pts

Bonus Challenge: Fastest time for scene's 1-3

(played as part of normal goes - diamonds are ok!)

1st   Starbug                  22-24-09    55  1pt
  2nd   Deteacher               33-08-07     78
  3rd   Sikor                        31-32-27      80
  4th   mimo                       30-16-50      96

• Like 4

6 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Congratulations to oracle_jedi for the win,  I took runners up spot with McKong stealing in to knock Marius off the 3rd place spot :sad: 

Congratulations indeed to oracle_jedi! OH I do not mind at all that McKong knocked me off 3d position. I absolutely enjoyed Mr. Do! And TBH I was surprised that I scored so well. It only happened 3 or 4 times that I got a score higher than 200K. So if someone gets much higher, it is more than deserved to end above me.

I hope Bosconian is going to be as fun as Mr. Do! was. 

• Like 3